cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752 - Is the Bloatware Bad This Time Around?

Banshee
Level 8
A lot of us are thinking of getting a G752; myself included. While it's exciting to get a new laptop, one thing I always dread is having to deal with the bloatware.

I did have to remove some cruft from my G73 way back when I bought it in 2011, but it wasn't too bad and indeed, "add/remove programs" (programs and features?) did work well enough to terminate any nagware prompts from "helpfully reminding" me that this or that trial period was ending and it was time to pay up.

So, if you have purchased a G752, please come back here and let the rest of us know if the bloatware situation is mild or dire. Also let us know if you were able to remove unneeded programs and even if you decided to purchase one of the included programs after the trial period. I will recognize that not all bloatware is necessarily bad. Just 99.5% percent of it. 😛
My Current Addiction: Asus G73SW i7

12 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro
3TB internal, 5 TB external via USB 3.0
^ I use this system as a mobile DAW, 3D graphic studio, and for other stuff.
18 REPLIES 18

Edweird
Level 10
Wasn't bad at all on the G751 for me, no reason for it to be crap on the G752. How is that even a consideration, though? All it takes is a couple program uninstalls...

Edweird wrote:
Wasn't bad at all on the G751 for me, no reason for it to be crap on the G752.

Yeah, well ask Lenovo customers about that. For a long time, Lenovo computers were fine, then they got the superfish (or whatever). Lenovo won't live that one down for years, if ever.

All it takes is a couple program uninstalls...

Not always. Sony + DRM; remember that one? Their rootkit was not removable via a simple uninstall.

Now...I'm not saying Asus would do this. But things usually are okay until they change. And certainly, some big names have done stupid stuff like that. So it's always a consideration, and since others will no doubt be buying before me, I figure why not ask now?

Edit: It also puts Asus on notice that we're watching. :eek:

12 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

toronto699
Level 13
Asus is usually very good about bloatware ,G751 was pretty good , maybe 3 programs I did not use , How about
W10 bloatware , u now receive Sponsored Advertising and Behavioral Advertising that's real bloat and Absolutely No Privacy
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/anti-beacon-for-windows-10-download.html

Banshee
Level 8
Hi. Yes, I too am concerned about Windows 10. But on the laptop I'm using to type this post, I'm using 10 and have shut off a lot of the collection stuff. For now, it's still possible to do, so my question was about the G752. I did have to remove several things from this G73 back when I bought it, but they did remove.

Got your PM, but couldn't watch the video. "A problem has occurred". Anyway, I would be happy to hear what you think about the X9.

12 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

toronto699
Level 13
I went to eurocom , came home with one
https://biosmods.wordpress.com/2015/10/21/sky-x9/4/

toronto699 wrote:
I went to eurocom , came home with one
https://biosmods.wordpress.com/2015/10/21/sky-x9/4/

That is the best laptop in the world. Same like the Clevo P870DM-G I have in my system specs in my profile. It blows any other laptop out of the water with a desktop CPU 6700K + Dual 980M in SLI or Single Desktop version 980 GTX = 64 GB DDR4 RAM 😄

matrixleader wrote:
That is the best laptop in the world. Same like the Clevo P870DM-G I have in my system specs in my profile. It blows any other laptop out of the water with a desktop CPU 6700K + Dual 980M in SLI or Single Desktop version 980 GTX = 64 GB DDR4 RAM 😄

OK I went to their web site and priced up similar specs to the Asus G752VY-RH71 I ordered...lists for 1999.00.

their price was about 1000.00 more +_ for the same specs minus the fingerprint reader and security chip

so your saying that their laptop is worth the +_ 800.00 more for essentially the same build?

vore01 wrote:
OK I went to their web site and priced up similar specs to the Asus G752VY-RH71 I ordered...lists for 1999.00.

their price was about 1000.00 more +_ for the same specs minus the fingerprint reader and security chip

so your saying that their laptop is worth the +_ 800.00 more for essentially the same build?

yes at least you get a laptop that works, not some low quality laptop with flaky USB ports and bad RMA service

matrixleader wrote:
yes at least you get a laptop that works, not some low quality laptop with flaky USB ports and bad RMA service

what your saying is disturbing....every site that reviews gaming notebooks (PC Gamer, Notebookcheck and a host of other sites) list the Asus g series at the top.
the quality is high end build. I compared Asus to MSI, alienware, razorblade, even acer. So according to you the $2000.00 Asus I preordered is crap?