cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY with Intel HD 4600

Dreamonic
Level 12
Sort of... WIP (work in progress).

I'm trying to go through with this modification being like what the MSI models did. You can switch over from one to the other (not muxless design but muxed) by enabling the option and then restart or shutdown and have it using the other adapter. Surely ASUS went this route!

So what I did is I used the Intel VGA OROM from a G771 (8086:0416) and then updated both IntelGopDriver and IntelSaGopDriver modules in as well and then in the Chipset tab, enabled the iGPU there (as I knew from before). Everything is detected and now I'm working on figuring out how to change the primary adapter switching multiplexer to the iGPU on a shutdown and actually initialize it upon POST without a black screen. I've already had to use my hardware programmer multiple times already to get out of a bricked state with this mod. So as long as I don't get sick of that and keep covering ground, I should eventually find a resolve.

Interesting fact: The G751JY IntelGopDriver has Broadwell signatures in it. Perhaps another means to disable communication with the iGPU by ASUS.
9 REPLIES 9

Rares95
Level 8
I thank the ASUS gods daily they disabled the integrated graphics card. Nothing but problems from it

Dreamonic
Level 12
I agree, nothing but problems with MUXless (optimus) configurations. No point having that on a gaming notebook, ever! I'm glad ASUS made that decision for the majority of their ROG models. However, MUXed is much different and definitely preferred over the former.

There are 3 type of configs for gaming notebooks: MUXless (optimus) which is the majority used today and cheaper for manufacturer to build. Muxed (switchable) few manufacturers use this still, not widely available. SLI (expensive) and least made option by manufacturers to sell volume notebooks.

So likely everyone hates the iGPU because of well, you guessed it (the most sold config) because of Optimus supported NBs. I'd rather have the option to use it if I want to since ASUS went to so much trouble to remove/disable access into me getting it enabled (with BIOS modifications and a programmer) in the first place. It was originally thought by a lot of people here, including myself at one time that there was no way to enable it. I'm glad I proved myself wrong and went to all this trouble just to say I did it.

Rares95
Level 8
Good job 😄

Gps3dx
Level 12
Dreamonic wrote:

@Dreamonic - lovely initiate ! well done.
I would love to see mod also to applied also to the G751JT ( I don't care to try it my-self, as long as I don't need any special external bios reprogrammer ), but take your time to level the mod up, on your JY.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

liviutatarus
Level 7
You might use integrated video card for physics?

liviutatarus wrote:
You might use integrated video card for physics?

I was wondering the same thing long time ago, when the use of iGPU was brought up first on this forums.

But I asked if it would be possible to use iGPU for desktop rendering (to viewport), while giving other CUDA job (like rendering, visualisations etc.) to the dGPU.
It was inspired by the news of DX12 enabling the possibility to use iGPU + dGPU at the same time....

Having the option to use iGPU, even if I have to restart a pc, is very apealling to me. I don't always game, sometimes i just need to use it for emails etc.

Having the option to choose between iGPU and dGPU on the startup is even better!

Back when the topic was first brought up some ppl said that there is probably no physical connection from iGPU to motherboard (no pins), great to see they are wrong - i expected this as monitoring saftware can read the iGPU temperature...

Nice to see Dreamonic took the challenge and beat it!

Gps3dx
Level 12
Dreamonic wrote:

@Dreamonic, a year and a half passed since you 1st publish this thread.
Have you manage to get a "switch" between iGPU and nvidia, that's stable ( i.e no black screen, w/o programmer ) as well ?

another Q, in which I really shot in the dark here... any chance you might need to enable & change PTID SSDT in the bios ?
I know from Hackintosh (MacOS) world that on some PCs users need to change the gpu related info to get their iGPU to work.
Asus G751JT
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
@Dreamonic, a year and a half passed since you 1st publish this thread.
Have you manage to get a "switch" between iGPU and nvidia, that's stable ( i.e no black screen, w/o programmer ) as well ?

another Q, in which I really shot in the dark here... any chance you might need to enable & change PTID SSDT in the bios ?
I know from Hackintosh (MacOS) world that on some PCs users need to change the gpu related info to get their iGPU to work.

@Dreamonic - another idea for you... please take a look on G750JZ bios.
comparing it Vs G751JT/Y, it got a "switchable graphics" sub-menu... which I think correlates with module named "SgTpvPei".
The G750 is optimus - right ?... any chance you can turn a G751 into one ?
Asus G751JT
My Guides:

NeoBeum
Level 9
I was hoping you'd be on the Crystal Well, so I could ask you a few questions...

@Gps3dx In the BIOS, you have the option to enable the Integrated Graphics or use the GPU on PEG0