cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g751jy Pcie ssd questions

Lubert85
Level 7
Hello!

I have preordered the g751jy in norway, but there is still limited information on the actual product.
The only information on the ssd is that it is 256gb m.2 disk. Is this the pcie version. And does all g751jy ships with a pcie ssd?
And the information i got on the store is that it has only 16gb ram. And i cant find in any other country a g751jy with 16gb.

So im a little frustrated with the lack of information i can find out about it.

🙂
209 REPLIES 209

aeolisio wrote:
Let me try to make it simple.
Upgrade your 8.1 to 10 on the original drive. start win 10 and connect to the internet download some updates and verify it.
I actually wrote the first win 10 upgrade guide on here just no one ever stickied it so you can follow what applies to you here
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?72650-How-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-upgrade-and-clean-insta...
like the command wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey.
Once you have upgraded and connected you will be verified for win 10 and when you install the CORRECT edition on a new drive from usb and connect to the internet it will register. You could also use a program to grab your win 10 product key once its installed.

Okay, so the laptop unexpectedly came with Win 10 installed, not Win 8.1. I think Win 8.1 was on a different build I was considering ordering 😞

Now I'm not sure what to do anymore, since I cannot take the simple approach you suggested of upgrading from Windows 8.1 to 10. Any suggestions?

SergeantJay wrote:
First, have you updated your bios? Update 206 states it adds a second PCIe SSD
http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JY/HelpDesk_Download/

Of course I recommend updating to 211 (the latest)

If you watch the video, you can pause it and get the part number of the installed SSD. It turns out it's a Gen 2 AHCI/PCIe based ssd. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147366

The ssd you bought is a sata based ssd. That could have some thing to do with it. It can get confusing, but there are
nvme/pcie ssd's (newest), Gen 3
ahci/pcie ssd's (middle), Gen 2
or ahci/sata ssd's (older, even though it fits in the same m.2 slot) if I'm not mistaken, all variations can come in the form of a m.2 slot.

motherboards (or bios, or efi) these days are either going to support ahci or nvme or both. If both are available you'd have to set the right one as active from within the bios/efi. (nvme is starting to become more available. nvme is faster than ahci)
the drive itself will be nvme/pcie, ahci/pcie, or ahci/sata based (pcie either way is faster than sata)

I'm not quite sure what motherboards or slots are cross compatible, (as far as the m.2 slot goes) but I'd say it's safe to say that if you bought an ahci/pcie ssd (non sata) it would be compatible. I'm not sure if a Gen 3 nvme/pcie ssd would work or not for this particular pc. My guess is it would not since the motherboard doesn't support nvme.

Thank you very much for the info
ASUS G74SX-XT1

Can I simply swap the 128GB SSD for a Kingston Digital 480GB SSDNow V300 upgrade kit (using the kit included)? Thanks.

Hello, I'm Christian from Germany. I have some good News for all ASUS G751 owners , that want to run a NVMe SSD on the M.2 Socket (must be built in already)
Recently there was an Ebay Offer for a SM951 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD. I couldnt resist and bought it.
Before, I already have a SM951 AHCI 512 GB HDGL-0001L (from Lenovo) which was running quiet good on my Win7.
But unfortunately it runs only 1500 Read / 1200 Write (Specs are 2200 read/1500 write). I found out after some research, that the Lenovo SM951 has an inbuild limitation. Thats why I bought the SM951 512GB NVMe.
And than the big hassle started..
The new SM951 NVMe wasnt recognized by the BIOS. So I upgraded to BiosVer 211. Same Situation. No SSD recognized.
Than i was reading about Implementing a DXE Driver Modul in Fernandos WinRaid Forum.
I injected the DXE Driver in my BIOS and now my new NVMe SSD is recognized by the BIOS and is bootable as well.

The hole BIOS upgrade is really simple, as long as you know what your doing.
I will make a step by step Guide for the implementation in the coming days.
Its really very simple, but it costs me some time to find out.

After this I cloned my Win7 from the old AHCI SSD to the new NVMe SSD.
Next Problem --> Bluescreen Fail 0000000x7B . Win7 doesnt provide any NVMe Drivers nativly.
The clue is: Before Cloning, you must install a NVMe Controller Driver by Hand on the old Win7 running System . After installing the Driver
you clone the System to your NVMe SSD and start. Voila--> Win7 running on SM951 512Gb NVMe

And now after all: I realised I have the HM87 PCH that only provides PCIe Port 5 in Gen 2. --> no 2200 read 😞
The card itself does... but the Controller not... what the ****....
Now I have same situation like before.. Maybe someone of you found out how to get the Controller (Lynx PCH Port 5 ) working in Gen 3.
Answers appriciated.
Now have speeds on the SM951 NVMe (1660 read / 1200 write) ... same like before:(:(

I made a quick simple guide , how to upgrade your BIOS for NVMe Support. You really dont need to be afraid. My NVMe Drive works without problems,
once the BIOS is upgraded.
So there is not much profit in speed, because the HM87 Chipset can only support PCIe x4 Gen2 .. you will stay at 1600 MB/s read and 1400 MB/s write, but you dont need to pay a crazy amount of mony for buying a AHCI compliant PCIe SSD, that is even slower and older.
Be smart and make BIOS Mod (update). If you have any questions, feel free to contect me ...
Have fun:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99677-ASUS-G751-JY-BIOS-211-NVMe-Upgrade-Guide-Step-by-Ste...

Christian K.

Jon_G
Level 10
Any one with the G751JY notebook that has the OEM Samsung XP941 AHCI PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD & wants to upgrade their system to the faster OEM Samsung SM951 AHCI PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD you will have to swap out drives (install SM951 into PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD slot first and do a usb flash clean install of either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, then install ASUS G751JY notebook drivers in order to successfully upgrade your G751JY's XP941 PCIe x4 lanes AHCI M.2 Gen 2 SSD to the SM951 PCIe x4 lanes AHCI M.2 Gen 3 SSD.
I unsuccessfully tried to clone contents of my 256GB Samsung XP941 AHCI PCIe x4 lanes OS SSD to a new 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 AHCI PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD via a BPlus U3M2M external PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD to USB 3.0 Adapter/enclosure using paid version of EaseUs Todo Backup Home 9.0 ( recommended on the Ramcity website with instructions on how to clone contents of your system drive to an OEM Samsung XP941 AHCI PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD ) and the clone failed at 9 - 20 minutes into it 3 times in a row. I have the latest BIOS 211 on my G751JY notebook using Windows 8.1 OS and wanted to keep my steam games, etc. from the 😧 Data partition on the 256GB Samsung XP941 SSD & simply clone it all over to the new 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 SSD but no luck! The new 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 AHCI SSD was even correctly initialized & GPT formatted prior to the failed clone. Perhaps the clone would work to another Gen 2 Samsung XP941 PCIe M.2 AHCI SSD but not to a Gen 3 Samsung SM951 PCIe M.2 AHCI SSD.
I had to remove the 256GB Samsung XP941 OS SSD first, then install the new 512GB Samsung SM951 SSD, boot notebook to UEFI Windows 10 64-bit usb flash and clean install Windows, then I installed ASUS G751JY notebook drivers to SM951 to successfully upgrade G751JY M.2 SSD & get it all working.

kidfromhell
Level 9
Hey guys, I recently upgraded from 750JX to the 751JY-DB71. I bought it off from Amazon and I was surprised to see that it had SM951 256GB installed by default with the regular 1 TB drive. I searched everywhere and I was told that the 751JY comes with a XP941 and I got to see nobody getting a SM951 by default. Is that I'm the only one who got that or did ASUS started using them at the last batch before they moved to the G752 series?

Jon_G
Level 10
Hi Joeypogs,
I haven't populated the drive bay 1 w/ an SSD (removed from its' case) connected to
SATA3 Adapter in G751JYs' drive bay 1 (left bay) where my
512GB OEM Samsung SM951 PCIe 3.0 AHCI M.2 OS SSD is also. I ran a 5" SATA 3 Extension
Cable from Drive bay 1 SATA3 Adapter fed under SATA Bridge to the
1TB Samsung 850 Pro Storage SSD in my drive bay 2 to ensure it runs at SATA 3 6GB/s.
I've seen somewhere on this forum (a while back) where someone managed to squeeze a
1TB Samsung 850 EVO removed from its' case into that drive bay 1 slot along w/ their
PCIe AHCI M.2 SSD. I can't find the thread though and not 100% sure a 1TB 2.5" SATA 3 SSD
removed from its' case would fit in drive bay 1 along w/ the PCIe M.2 SSD?
However, in aeolisio's G751- M.2 bracket 3d printed and heatsinked thread on page 3
he has pictures of his G751JYs' 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (removed from its' case)
connected to the drive bay 1 SATA 3 Adapter along w/ his 256GB OEM Samsung SM951
PCIe 3.0 AHCI M.2 OS SSD inside one of his 3d printed M.2 brackets. So for sure, you
can fit at least a 512GB SATA 3 SSD in there (removed from its' case) along w/ the
PCIe M.2 SSD.
For pictures go to:
rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1609-G751-M-2-bracket-3d-printed-and-heatsinked/page3&highlight
=aeolisio
or type aeolisio in the search and find thread; G751 M.2 bracket 3d printed and heatsinked on page 3.

As far as SATA 3 SSD's go, any brand will work, depends on your budget and whether you're looking
for a higher priced, performance SSD or a lower performance, economy SSD? Go to Anandtech.com and/or
Tomshardwarereview.com. Both sites list 2016 Best SSD's for the money and offer numerous SATA 3 SSD
reviews of all major brand SSDs' along w/ SSD performance charts.
Also note that once you remove the case from any Manufacturers' 2.5" SATA 3 SSD you void any limited
warranty it came with.

Jon_G
Level 10
Hi iwantspeed,
The G751JY only works with PCIe Gen 2 & Gen 3 (AHCI) M.2 SSDs' not the newer PCIe Gen 3 (NVMe) M.2 SSDs'.
The best available PCIe Gen 3 (AHCI) M.2 SSD for booting the G751JY is the 512GB/256GB OEM Samsung SM951
PCIe Gen 3 (AHCI) M.2 SSD. Unfortunately, the retail Samsung 950 Pro SSD is PCIe Gen 3 (NVMe) M.2 SSD and
PCIe Gen 3 NVMe M.2 SSDs' are unsupported by the latest G751JY AS211 BIOS.

Jon G wrote:
Hi iwantspeed,
The G751JY only works with PCIe Gen 2 & Gen 3 (AHCI) M.2 SSDs' not the newer PCIe Gen 3 (NVMe) M.2 SSDs'.
The best available PCIe Gen 3 (AHCI) M.2 SSD for booting the G751JY is the 512GB/256GB OEM Samsung SM951
PCIe Gen 3 (AHCI) M.2 SSD. Unfortunately, the retail Samsung 950 Pro SSD is PCIe Gen 3 (NVMe) M.2 SSD and
PCIe Gen 3 NVMe M.2 SSDs' are unsupported by the latest G751JY AS211 BIOS.

BAH was considering a purchase of a NVMe and that answers my questions. Thanks and glad I read this.