cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY HDD upgrade question

qbical
Level 7
Hello all,
Just picked up a G751JY-DH71 the other day and had a question about the HDD. Do I need to pull the battery if I want to pull the stock SSD and add a different one? I called tech support and they said I had to send it in or I void the warranty. seriously?! :confused:
Appreciate the help
2,915 Views
8 REPLIES 8

aeolisio
Level 10
No you dont need to disassemble and pull the battery or even disconnect it just make sure you power it off and ground yourself before touching anything. The drive upgrade does not void the warranty.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aeolisio wrote:
No you dont need to disassemble and pull the battery or even disconnect it just make sure you power it off and ground yourself before touching anything. The drive upgrade does not void the warranty.


Thanks Aeolisio i appreciate the info! However, Asus tech support (Trisha specifically) said ANYTHING that requires unscrewing will void my warranty. I was shocked when she told me that. I kept asking her how can that be that just changing a HDD voids the warranty? She literally just kept repeating her script of "anything unscrewed will void the warranty. Sorry sir. Would you like to create an RMA ticket for service?"

I was ready to pack up the unit and just take it back for a full refund. I knew Asus CS was garbage but didn't think they would be that s$&@@?.

qbical wrote:
Thanks Aeolisio i appreciate the info! However, Asus tech support (Trisha specifically) said ANYTHING that requires unscrewing will void my warranty. I was shocked when she told me that. I kept asking her how can that be that just changing a HDD voids the warranty? She literally just kept repeating her script of "anything unscrewed will void the warranty. Sorry sir. Would you like to create an RMA ticket for service?"

I was ready to pack up the unit and just take it back for a full refund. I knew Asus CS was garbage but didn't think they would be that s$&@@?.

She was confused that panel is user serviceable check your manual. Just because a single rep said something doesnt make it so. Its a huge company and you cant expect every employee to know everything.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aeolisio wrote:
She was confused that panel is user serviceable check your manual. Just because a single rep said something doesnt make it so. Its a huge company and you cant expect every employee to know everything.


I have to disagree with the "She was confused" statement. I didn't ask some crazy technical question. I told her calmly and politely "so if I replace the hard drive, that voids the warranty?". I was perfectly clear. She was either totally untrained or just didn't care. I called tech support, not sales support. Sorry don't mean to flame I just have to call it like it was on this particular tech interaction. :cool:

Also, I didn't see a manual in my box but I'll look again. Just saw the safety for battery, quick start guide and warranty info. I can prob just download it as well. Do you make custom HD cages for these laptops? Totally forgot to grab a little cage for the replacement drive.

qbical wrote:
I have to disagree with the "She was confused" statement. I didn't ask some crazy technical question. I told her calmly and politely "so if I replace the hard drive, that voids the warranty?". I was perfectly clear. She was either totally untrained or just didn't care. I called tech support, not sales support. Sorry don't mean to flame I just have to call it like it was on this particular tech interaction. :cool:

Also, I didn't see a manual in my box but I'll look again. Just saw the safety for battery, quick start guide and warranty info. I can prob just download it as well. Do you make custom HD cages for these laptops? Totally forgot to grab a little cage for the replacement drive.


Generally Asus support is the best in the industry trust me i have dealt with them all more then any consumer but she just answered in the safest way possible. The link is at the bottom of my signature for cages. Theres a free shipping code in my thread about the bracket.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?71609-G751JY-DB73X-and-other-G751-s-M-2-bracket-3d-printed...
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Corporal
Level 9
I was ready to pack up the unit and just take it back for a full refund. I knew Asus CS was garbage but didn't think they would be that s$&@@?.

You can unscrew anything you like. Just don't tell them you did it 😄

Corporal wrote:
You can unscrew anything you like. Just don't tell them you did it 😄


Think it's too late as I had to create a case to even ask the question. Walked RIGHT into that one lol

Korth
Level 14
The battery, memory, and drive bays are meant to be accessible to end users. Swapping their contents won't void warranty unless you plug something inside which is electrically incompatible.

It's good practice to disconnect all power sources before servicing components - unplug the adapter, remove the battery. It's good practice to unplug power connectors before unplugging signal connectors, then plug power connectors after (re)plugging signal connectors - just another way to ensure your fragile logic boards and NV flash aren't exposed to momentary voltage spikes. And it's good practice to use proper ESD protection when working with sensitive electronics. But it's not strictly necessary because the laptop charging circuitry contains failsafe power isolation/buffers, and most other PC components (like the mainboard and even SSDs) have onboard VRMs hardened by power diodes and capacitor banks at the most critical areas.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]