cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY Disassembly Pics

joshindaphils
Level 11
Update:

Video teardown guide (all rights to the video creator):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7px8mx5LU

Original post:

Had my G751 serviced under warranty due to a rattling sound. Ended up being the double sided tape that holds the CMOS battery came undone allowing the battery to rattle around. Took the opportunity to take a bunch of pics and have some IC Diamond 24 applied as well.


47761
47762
47763
47764
47766
47767
47768
47769
47770
47771
47772
47773
47774
47775
47776
58,367 Views
57 REPLIES 57

Sargatanas wrote:
there won't be a sticker anymore, if you had a repair/Service.
That's something I also recognized with my other ones which needed a service


That last pic was taken at the service center, after the tech removed the MB, before removal of the heatpipe assembly i.e. before any sticker would of been removed. See esha's comment below as well.

escha wrote:
there is NO sticker / warranty seal on radiators/screws/cooling system in asus g751 jy/jt as I was informed by asus representative/tech support after he consulted it with other asus engineers. That's official answer in my asus account inbox.
Nevertheless warranty service can recognize the change in thermal paste (not original) and call it voided warranty (it's up to them).
You can open it, maybe clean it yourself as it won't leave any tracks if done properly, but changing the paste by yourself may lead to voiding the warranty 'willingly', as they say.
For your consideration...

PS: Thank You for the pics!!!


Yeah I would definitely put this under the *do at your own risk* category if you pop it open yourself.

Asus in the Philippines does warranty repair out of local shops, if they can't handle it, it gets sent off (that last bit is speculation). This is a major reason I went with Asus over MSI, with MSI warranty repair is sent off to a national repair depot and your laptop disappears for a week or two.

I was able to walk into the shop with my laptop and tube of grease, and walk out with a fix and a repast done under warranty repair in just over two hours. Just took being friendly and chatting the tech up, got some nice pics as well hehe.

thank you for posting pics i tryed to find a video and i couldn't find any i just got mine but im happy to know how to take it apart enough to at least clean the fans when i need to.

XOIIO
Level 7
I love the ROG logo on the heatsinks, that's a real mark of quality and attention to detail.

kalkethar
Level 7
Txs for Pics, good Work:)

arrtaas
Level 9
Hey, I was wondering what was the thermal compound on VRAM? It is some kind of blue rubber/grease. But I cannot figure out which one is it. Do you have any info on it?

arrtaas wrote:
Hey, I was wondering what was the thermal compound on VRAM? It is some kind of blue rubber/grease. But I cannot figure out which one is it. Do you have any info on it?


It was the same grease that was on the CPU/GPU/everything else.

joshindaphils wrote:
It was the same grease that was on the CPU/GPU/everything else.


Weird, when I disassembled mine, CPU and GPU had normal thermal paste, whereas VRAM and other components had some kind of blue sticky material, never saw something like that and can't find out what it is.

What thermal compound did you use to put between the VRAM and cooler? The gap there is around 0.5 mm and that is too much for standard thermal paste..

arrtaas wrote:
Weird, when I disassembled mine, CPU and GPU had normal thermal paste, whereas VRAM and other components had some kind of blue sticky material, never saw something like that and can't find out what it is.

What thermal compound did you use to put between the VRAM and cooler? The gap there is around 0.5 mm and that is too much for standard thermal paste..


I just used the same IC Diamond 24 I used on everything else. The heatpipe assembly looked properly staged (different levels for all components) and it was the same grey goo everywhere. My thermals are fine (certainly better), and am even running a decent OC w/o issue. Below is the before pic before the board was cleaned up.

48188

Yours probably was using thermal pads like these: http://www.amazon.com/Generic-15x15x1mm-Conductive-Heatsink-Northbridge/dp/B00EQ23OQA/ref=pd_sim_e_5...

joshindaphils wrote:
I just used the same IC Diamond 24 I used on everything else. The heatpipe assembly looked properly staged (different levels for all components) and it was the same grey goo everywhere. My thermals are fine (certainly better), and am even running a decent OC w/o issue. Below is the before pic before the board was cleaned up.

48188

Yours probably was using thermal pads like these: http://www.amazon.com/Generic-15x15x1mm-Conductive-Heatsink-Northbridge/dp/B00EQ23OQA/ref=pd_sim_e_5...


That is exactly what I was talking about, I can see it even in your pictures that the NVIDIA chip has the normal grey thermal paste, and the VRAM has that blueish stuff. Even the texture of the thermal paste and that blue stuff is different, I remember that it had different properties, the stickiness was different, was harder to clean. and they are definitely different even seeing it from your pic! How much IC diamond did you use? you had to put a thick layer on those VRAM chips. and the capacitors and other components as well..

That blueish stuff felt more like foam, not grease..

BlueFox
Level 7
Hi,
what kind of SSD SATA3 have mounted together with the M.2?
Did you have to disassemble the SSD original case right?