cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY Blinking Battery LED [Solved]

Boulingrin
Level 7
Hello there,

I've got a one year-old G751JY. Today when launching a random game, the fans suddenly started working real loud, as never before, for no particular reason. Then the battery LED started blinking green and orange. Might have been cause the day before, I switched off the computer in a hurry when noticing some elements overheated up to 80°C after only 10mn of The Witcher 3 (game was running smooth on screen though. Anyway).

Aside from the fact I'll never play this game again, I tried a couple things including uninstalling/reinstalling the battery drivers from the device manager. Now the LED is blinking orange only.

Now battery won't charge anymore, and judging from the sound the computer made when the LED started blinking, I think it's dead.

The thing is, I don't want to send my computer in support nor repair cause my warranty is expired (2 weeks too late) 😄 and I'd like to try by myself removing and replacing the battery before making any expense.

Heard it's impossible due to the fact it is a built-in, non-removable battery on this model.

So two words : help please!

Thanks.
23 REPLIES 23

timbuk2 wrote:
Didn't work for me... Mine is still blink orange and green and never stopped while booting and holding the power button. I do think it's time for a new battery though... will try that next.

I have the same problem with G53JW. Battery is randomly flashing green and orange together eventhough charging level is shown as %100 on Windows, but not fully charged.

Is it really because of bad battery? Or bad PSU? 😞
ASUS G53JW-XA1

For whats its worth I had all problems described above with my G751JT. For years I muddled through until battery pack went completely dead.
I mustered up courage and bought a new battery off Amazon, found the utube video where the guys replaces battery on G751. I followed his steps and I now have a fresh battery and its like a new computer to me. No more worries about all the flashing lights.

BTW I took the old battery pack apart to see if any of the 18561 batteries were good. I tested them all and though old and low on capacity they were all still good and probably were not the cause of failure. I attribute failure of this pack to the BMS, battery management system board that is in the pack, which controls the charging and balance of the 8 / 18650 LIPo batteries. These circuit boards are the weakness IMHO.

Corporal
Level 9
I'll just be more careful about my game settings in the future... lesson learned)

No need for that, the issue happens sporadically

JustinThyme
Level 13
Nice Info to store in my brain somewhere, thanks for the tip NitroX! Im an old fart but still learn something new everyday!

+1 on Rep!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

HI
No Blinking and all..
But shows 12% available (plugged in, charging)
If i remove adapter, it power off like a TV on power cut.

Please help me..

My computer was working perfectly fine, I returned to work next day, plugged it in and it would not take a charge. Battery is at 0%, Battery LED blinks orange/ Green cycle. PC shuts down immediately when unplugging a/c adapter. I tried the uninstall/scan for changes technique, also tried to hold power button down. I even rolled back to Windows 8.1 thinking it could be a software issue. My last hope is to buy a new battery and see if that works. Just to confirm I did the power button hold correctly this is what I tried.

I powered on the computer, when Asus logo appears, I held the power button down for 1 minute, this of course shuts the computer off, the battery LED blinked a few times then went out. When I pushed the button again, the computer comes on but still no battery charging. It seems like it want to try for about five seconds before it goes back to the green/orange blinking.

I'm pretty bummed out about this, I babied this computer, Infact, I'm typing this on my old g74 rog machine that still works. I've looked at a video on how to remove the battery which seems pretty easy. But still a pain in the ass none the less.

I have to admit, I really like the g751. But with windows getting worse each version, cramming updates down our throat, and 1,400 dollar computer that died in 14 months pushed me to a brand new Mac book Pro. I've gone back and forth over the years due to the work I do, I'm a cinematographer/ film director/editor. It really sets me back when my computers don't work properly.

Weirdoutworld
Level 7
Rogjoke, I've had nightmares about things like this... Sorry that happened to you. Somebody here will help you. Lot of great skilled people here.

vempatyappu
Level 7
My laptop had the same problem of charging upto 84% and shutting down if the charger was removed. This happened after I sent it to RMA and they replaced my battery with a faulty one. I contacted aeolisio about the problem and he told me I had two options
1. Get a new battery and replace it as the current battery might have some damaged cells and causing the battery to fail. To check this you can always go to bios and try to start easy flash and it'll say there is no battery or battery should be at minimum of 20%.
2. Rebuild the current battery pack by changing the cells.

I also read some posts about holding the power button down for ten seconds solving the blinking battery indicator and the not fully charging problem for some people and it was same for me. But that lasted like a month and after that it got worse, the laptop lasted only 30-35 mins with 84% charging and eventually completely shutting down without direct power. Also the battery used to get super hot - another indicator of failed battery I think.

Worst case scenario your motherboard is faulty and it's causing the problem. But from what I observed in the forum everyone got this problem about the same time so it's probably because of a bios update. So, I sent the laptop to aeolisio and he checked my laptop battery and told me that the battery was indeed damaged.
He advised me that getting a new OEM battery is the safest thing to do as the current battery may have faulty wiring that caused it to fail in the first place. So I ordered a new battery and he replaced it. He was quiet patient with my questions even did a thermal repaste as I requested. I got my laptop back today and I have to say my temps are stable - from max 93 while gaming to 74 max and the battery is properly working (fully charged to 100% and no overheating). Now I could have get this done by sending it RMA but I'm out of warranty and I have no idea what more problems are gonna arise after sending it to RMA.
So, if there are any guys with G751 out of warranty and have a battery problem like mine you could either do the testing yourself or send it to aeolisio. You have to pay for his services though, but he's quiet reasonable. He lives in California, luckily around 6 miles from my place so the whole process was smooth.

vempatyappu wrote:
My laptop had the same problem of charging upto 84% and shutting down if the charger was removed. This happened after I sent it to RMA and they replaced my battery with a faulty one. I contacted aeolisio about the problem and he told me I had two options
1. Get a new battery and replace it as the current battery might have some damaged cells and causing the battery to fail. To check this you can always go to bios and try to start easy flash and it'll say there is no battery or battery should be at minimum of 20%.
2. Rebuild the current battery pack by changing the cells.

I also read some posts about holding the power button down for ten seconds solving the blinking battery indicator and the not fully charging problem for some people and it was same for me. But that lasted like a month and after that it got worse, the laptop lasted only 30-35 mins with 84% charging and eventually completely shutting down without direct power. Also the battery used to get super hot - another indicator of failed battery I think.

Worst case scenario your motherboard is faulty and it's causing the problem. But from what I observed in the forum everyone got this problem about the same time so it's probably because of a bios update. So, I sent the laptop to aeolisio and he checked my laptop battery and told me that the battery was indeed damaged.
He advised me that getting a new OEM battery is the safest thing to do as the current battery may have faulty wiring that caused it to fail in the first place. So I ordered a new battery and he replaced it. He was quiet patient with my questions even did a thermal repaste as I requested. I got my laptop back today and I have to say my temps are stable - from max 93 while gaming to 74 max and the battery is properly working (fully charged to 100% and no overheating). Now I could have get this done by sending it RMA but I'm out of warranty and I have no idea what more problems are gonna arise after sending it to RMA.
So, if there are any guys with G751 out of warranty and have a battery problem like mine you could either do the testing yourself or send it to aeolisio. You have to pay for his services though, but he's quiet reasonable. He lives in California, luckily around 6 miles from my place so the whole process was smooth.

In most cases its a bank of cells that fails but sometimes like in vampatyappu its the actual charging circuit board in the battery pack that fails and destroys the cells by improperly charging them. Be wary when considering a rebuild that there are other factors that can cause those cells to fail than just wear and tear. Out of maybe 50 just g751 packs i have only ever seen the charging circuit fail twice. Unfortunately usually the packs are built with LG cells and these specific cells dont have quite the same cycle life as the samsung or panasonic options. I have never seen a rebuilt pack fail though.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chris345
Level 7
This issue started for me a second time . Asus replaced battery under warranty on my G751 last year and 4 days ago the flashing amber started again and "13% plugged in not charging" message. I complain loudly to Asus and am waiting to hear back from a supervisor(?) in support. But in meantime I tried this power button fix and amazingly it has worked and battery is charging again. So I'll see how long this fix holds. Many Thanks to author of this repair.