cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JT "tick...tock" sound when User Access Control dialog appears, even when muted

sgtrock
Level 7
Just unboxed my new G751JT last night and it is amazing. Updated ASUS drivers from the website and went through a full Windows Update cycle. Then ran a few benchmarks like 3DMark, PCMark, Furmark, and Unigine for about 2 hours off and on last night to exercise it. Also started the Intel Burn Test using all RAM but stopped it before going to bed. (mentioned just in case it is relevant)

This morning I kicked off Unigine Heaven for about an hour at max settings including tesselation all maxed out. Then switched to Valley for a while, then back to Heaven. Off and on total almost three hours. System ran beautifully, temps never got above about 63 for GPU and 65-67 for CPU. Ambient indoor temp is around 70F/21C here.

Immediately after doing this I went to install another monitor (openhardwaremonitor) and the device made a weird clicking sound when it started the program. After investigating I found it only happens when the User Account Control dialog pops up, i.e. when the EXE requires admin rights. For example, I can open chrome.exe without issue, but if I right click and choose Run As Administrator the UAC dialog pops up and the laptop makes that dual-click sound again.

The sound is a sort of "tick...tock" sound. It doesn't sound like a HDD access and besides I have an M2 primary and 7200RPM HDD in the second bay that is empty and not accessed.

I made a video to try and capture the sound. What is happening in the video is I am double-clicking on the Open Hardware Monitor EXE and it immediately displays the UAC at which time you hear the "tick...tock" sound, then I hit ESC to exit the UAC and repeat the sequence over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acm3WZgufmA

I did a factory restore to see if the issue was software related but the sound issue persists. The video was taken a few minutes ago after the restore. Now I'm concerned that the hardware somehow got damaged, yet the temps were very low compared to what I've seen some folks reporting.

Any idea what is causing this? Is it possible that running the Intel Burn messed something up internally? I mean it shouldn't but who knows? I ran it right before bed, stopped it, and then noticed the sound this morning when trying to install the new program. Since the sound did not happen last night, and the burn test is intensive, I'm wondering if there is a correlation. Or Furmark? I ran it on very high settings full screen but not more than maybe 10 minutes late last night, just before the Intel test. I didn't install anything after running the Intel test, not sure if I installed the Intel test before or after running Furmark. (I think after, but not 100% sure)

I really don't want to return this to Amazon the day after I got it. 😞 Thanks.

Edit: I just noticed it also happens when adjusting the volume control, i.e. clicking the speaker icon in the system tray to pull up the volume slider doesn't do it, but clicking the slider at all (without moving it) does trigger the sound, again a two-part "tick...tock" sound. No UAC popup.
15 REPLIES 15

cpasoft wrote:
I've just installed the last version (6.0.1.7667) and it seems to work right as well.
Don't forget to change the register
Using : [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Realtek\Audio\RtkNGUI64 \PowerMgnt]
"Enabled"=dword:00000000

and reboot.

Hope it helps.

PS: Here you have the link to the last version 7667. It would work until the new one appear. Then, this version (and the link) will be removed
LINK

It doesnt work.the same problems in audio. i think this one is even worse-

I followed your great instructions and have downloaded and installed the driver, but I confess to a problem. I don't see the directory in regedit for the Realtek. It just doesn't show up. The driver says it has updated, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I Tried search regedit and it came up with 5 results, but none were a specifically called Realtek.

I apologize in advance for being a newb with this. I attached a screenshot.

Thank you Serene

Gps3dx
Level 12
UAC is a total MS crap tech.
It is well known through out the web that this tech can be bypassed easily ( example )
Thus, one should disable UAC as it only causes only headaches and useless popups, and relay on a good internet-security app ( firewall+antivirus+anti malware )
you can see a VERY comprehensive comparison between the different product out-there.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

cpasoft
Level 7
HKEY CURRENT USER not HKEY LOCAL MACHINE

Thanks SO MUCH! I really appreciate the help. Sorry for making such a newbish mistake but it worked and I have no buzz when I adjust the volume on my notebook!

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

Serene

cpasoft
Level 7
You'te really welcome 😉