cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JT Keyboard Key Problem

Basemath
Level 7
Hello fellow ASUS reps and community vets. To start off, please forgive my ignorance regarding warranty stuff and everything RMA... I recently received my new G751. Felt like I never made a better purchase before. That was until I got to typing.

The C key is flimsy, nay broken, I believe. It doesn't register every click. Doesn't seem to be a software issue that can be fixed from PC settings or the touchpad delay settings. It's just a C key problem. Every other key works flawlessly, but this one doesn't press well. In fact, I can press it in a way where I would definitely hear it click, but it won't write anything. Only if I press it in the middle, and slightly harder than I would any other key does it respond. I can probably make a video of the problem if needed.

I don't believe this got broken during delivery. As famously evil as the UPS delivery people in Virginia are, the ASUS packaging protected the laptop nicely. Only the C key is problematic. Only explanation is it came out of the factory like this.

I ordered it from Amazon so I guess the most obvious solution would be to just return it to them for another. However, I REALLY don't want to part with the laptop 😞 Is there a place where I can physically deliver the laptop for it to be fixed/replaced under the warranty? What would you recommend I do? Thanks for reading and sorry for the longwinded-ness.
2 REPLIES 2

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
Make sure that it's not a ghosting issue: https://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/KeyboardGhostingDemo.mspx

If the key is in fact messed up, Asus will need to replace the entire thing - that is, unless you choose to return it to the seller. Any PC repair place/technician will almost certainly be unable to repair it. Even Asus probably won't repair it, but rather replace the entire keyboard.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Basemath
Level 7
Nah not a ghosting issue. The key will sometimes not respond even when pressed by itself, without any combination. Though now I know what ghosting is, so thanks for that 😄

I decided to return it to Amazon for a refund. Will get the G751JY instead, possibly the G-SYNC one. Seeing such confusing disparity in pricing though. Bestbuy (thieves) give it for 2499 + $150 tax!! Though their DB72 comes with 32gb RAM. Amazon has it for 2250 + 140 tax. Some 3rd party sellers thru Amazon have it for cheaper and with zero tax but not sure if I should trust those.