cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JT Dead Pixel Out of Box. Newegg RMA or ASUS Warranty?

TheiKing
Level 7
Received my pre-ordered G751JT today and imagine my extreme disappointment when I see a black pixel right near the center of the screen.

Contacted Newegg support and requested a replacement but unfortunately for me they are out of stock.
It would seem that other people who have purchased the G751JT from newegg have issues as well. However in their case its a broken left trackpad button.

It's just saddening that after nearly a month of intense anticipation this $1,500 investment has such a tiny, yet colossal, issue.

What do you guys think, should I claim it under Newegg RMA and wait 2 weeks to be told they still don't have it in stock & get a refund or just go with ASUS Warranty and hopefully get a replacement sooner?
13 REPLIES 13

B_Perks13
Level 7
I'm glad my issue is only the subwoofer isn't working, I would be even more upset about a dead pixel. I purchased my G751JT from Newegg as well. I'm curious about repair options. $1500 is a lot to spend for things to be wrong out of the box.

toronto699
Level 13
I know what I would do. id get my money back asap , because in the back of my mind id be thinking what else could go wrong at any time with my new faulty defective laptop.

toronto699 wrote:
I know what I would do. id get my money back asap , because in the back of my mind id be thinking what else could go wrong at any time with my new faulty defective laptop.

That's what I am doing. I am wondering which RMA I go through, the Newegg one or the Asus Warranty. Newegg is out of stock and likely won't have a new one in stock for quite a while so my best bet to get a replacement would probably be Asus but who knows how long that would take.

Thus far my experience with Asus ROG has not been very good. Between having to return the G751JM I purchased to Best Buy due to horrible speaker quality & inaccurate colors and now needing to return the G751JT because of a dead pixel, it's just leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I've wanted an ROG Notebook for years, and now that I finally have it I am just considering going with another brand or just upgrading my desktop.

TheiKing wrote:
That's what I am doing. I am wondering which RMA I go through, the Newegg one or the Asus Warranty. Newegg is out of stock and likely won't have a new one in stock for quite a while so my best bet to get a replacement would probably be Asus but who knows how long that would take.

Thus far my experience with Asus ROG has not been very good. Between having to return the G751JM I purchased to Best Buy due to horrible speaker quality & inaccurate colors and now needing to return the G751JT because of a dead pixel, it's just leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I've wanted an ROG Notebook for years, and now that I finally have it I am just considering going with another brand or just upgrading my desktop.

TheiKing, a repair RMA is through Asus either way, if you are going for a repair. Asus does the repair, and at this point since you just got it, I would report the bad pixel to Asus, but test the heck out of every port, every function, and run stress tests / benchmarks to make sure it runs stable - that way if you find something else now it can be repaired during the single RMA repair.

G751's are in short supply, so it is possible you would have trouble getting another one right away. You already have 99% of a G751, why not get the 1% fixed and be happy?

If you are trying to get your $ back then return to newegg for a DOA bad pixel, this may or may not be covered - if not you may need to take a restocking penalty - I think 15% for newegg.

There are always some glitches in production, but the bad pixel likely happened after the QA and during shipping.

Check out your options first, check with Asus and newegg over the particular bad pixel - send newegg an email with a photo attached and file an Asus Technical Inquiry and attach a zipfile with the image(s).

https://vip.asus.com <== file a technical inquiry here.

Please let us know what newegg/Asus says, and how they help you with a fix.

MHaensel
Level 7
You might try http://www.jscreenfix.com/. It costs nothing, and won't hurt your screen to try. Good luck!

MHaensel wrote:
You might try http://www.jscreenfix.com/. It costs nothing, and won't hurt your screen to try. Good luck!

You, kind sir, are a god-send!

My new Asus ROG G751JT (1 week old) came out of the box with a dead pixel (red-on black background?) and i was just reading this forum, and saw your link above. I left it running on the screen for 15 minutes - and voila - job done.

You have saved me so much potential RMA grief with an otherwise exceptional laptop, again, many thanks 🙂

masterserenity
Level 7
I'm in the same boat - not pixel, but RMA need. I'm undecided which would be more efficient - ASUS estimated a 10-day window in-house, excluding shipping times.

kennycol
Level 7
I was in a similar situation. I bought my G751JT-CH71 from newegg and the keyboard backlighting never worked from the start. After going through Asus tech after tech having me try different things they finally told me to return it to newegg or get it repaired through Asus. When I discovered that they were out of stock I contemplated having it repaired but I don't like the idea of getting a brand new machine and having to have it repaired right out of the gate.

So I got an RMA (originally for a replacement but when they told me they had no clue on new shipment date I had them change it to a refund) for the laptop and sadly shipped it back today. /sob

I played around with it for a few days and it's a great laptop. I'm upgrading from a G75 (and had a G73 before that) so I'm very familiar with he line and love them. This new one feels great (I really like the keyboard...feels better than any of the previous ones that I've used). The IPS screen is also a noticeable improvement from the prior TN panels. I played around with the idea of just keeping it and dealing with no keyboard backlighting but then I was using it late at night with the lights off and I just decided it was a no go. In fact I'm typing this on my G75 in a dark room and without the backlighting it would be a pain.

So my vote is to return it to newegg as long as you get the full refund. If you have to pay a 15% restock fee then I'd definitely send it in to asus for repair.

toronto699
Level 13
15% restocking FEE give me a break. the unit is defective a 15% FEE for a Brand new laptop that's defective that's robbery more like THEFT... social media a powerful tool for abusive theft