cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JT Battery Health Question

Executioner55
Level 7
I have a G751JT and the utility "Battery Info View" reports that the battery health is 86%. The battery is always charging, and never goes above 95%. Currently it's at 93% and still charging after being on for 30 minutes with no activity. Should the battery be replaced, or at what percent health remaining should it be replaced?
6 REPLIES 6

Shanester
Level 10
Executioner55 wrote:
I have a GT51JT and the utility "Battery Info View" reports that the battery health is 86%. The battery is always charging, and never goes above 95%. Currently it's at 93% and still charging after being on for 30 minutes with no activity. Should the battery be replaced, or at what percent health remaining should it be replaced?

It is normal for a laptop battery to lose its ability to hold the maximum capacity as it ages. If your laptop computer can charge the battery, but it doesn't last long enough or is only capable of holding 25% or less of its maximum capacity, the battery should be replaced.

jdfrench3
Level 12
Do you mean ASUS model G751JT, I can not identify a model GT51JT.

You should correct the model number and place it in your posts' title.

Work your battery a couple times, unplug the charging brick from the wall and run the laptop off the battery until the battery is around 10-15% then plug the charging brick into the wall and charge the battery in the laptop until at least 90%. Do this a couple times and see if the battery recovers quickly and is able to hold a charge for a while (1-2 hours). If that works out for you then you have a good battery. If you have difficulty charging or holding a charge then the battery should be replaced.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

LOL - yeah a typo which I corrected for the model number. Thanks for the info. The battery has always been running on AC. It may be the original battery as I bought it used earlier this year. I guess I should recycle it.

I played a game for about 30 minutes, then back to the desktop to check the condition of the battery. Still showed 93%, but the battery light is blinking. I rebooted when the Asus logo came on, and I hit the power button to shut down to reset the battery light. I tried to power on with the battery, but it got to the desktop and turned off. Plug in the brick, and it was at 0%. It's still currently charging at 45%. Does that indicate the battery is toast? Should I recycle it a few more times or should it be replaced?

Replace the battery.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Just wanted to give an update. I've cycled the battery from full charge to almost dead 5 times, going from 92% fully charged to 10%. After these 5 cycles, I noticed that the battery now charges up to 97%, and the battery health is now reported at 85%, with the last cycle no change in the reported health. Thanks for all the feedback. Hope this helps someone else to cycle the battery every now and then.