cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JM Best Buy Version

guvadc
Level 7
Ok, so I caved today and bought the BB version of the G751JM ( 24 months 0% financing helped). I have not unboxed it yet though.....

In regards to the 860m that is in this G751JM , is it the one based off the Haswell, or Maxwell? In other words, is it the better one? If I remember right there were 2 versions.

I'm well aware that the G751 with the 970m and 16gb of ram will be released in a few weeks for $150 more. The fact that tis one has a touch screen is kind of important to me. I also really don't know how much of my gaming time will be on this as I have a PS4 and XboxOne. Even then, the 860m should be on par with those, right?

In the end , I guess I really want a very durable capable laptop for work and gaming If I choose. Was going to get the non ROG model there with the 850m for $350 less, but the case, keyboard, 17inch screen led me to this.

As you can tell, I'm torn on what to do.......
19 REPLIES 19

MHaensel
Level 7
I can't speak for laptop-use comfort yet. However, in games, the 840m is about 1/3 the speed of the 860m, and similar to Intel Iris Pro integrated graphics in frame rates. If gaming matters to you, you're going to miss that performance.

DungeonShredder
Level 7
anything less than a 970m would be off my list the performance to cost ratio is not worth going less if gaming is at all important to you.
it's hard for me to use my g751jy at the moment. I'm so used to windows 8 on my surface pro2 I can't stop touching the screen
slowly getting used to it. the g751 is okay in my lap I grabbed a cushioned lap desk for it I have yet to try it.

guvadc
Level 7
Ok, so I'm having second thoughts about the G751M at BB and really do want the touch screen model.

I keep hearing bad things about the optimus drivers, does anyone know if this one has them since it has the 860m?

When hooking up to a TV via HDMI, would I lose any thing in regards to performance? I guess this where the whole optimus thing comes into play.

Is it possible that this version of the 860m has been "enhanced" in anyway from last years models?

MHaensel
Level 7
A heads up for people ordering from Best Buy: not all the G751JMs have a touch screen. I ordered one and it came without a touch screen. The return was painless, but I'm sure both BB and the people ordering would rather get what's expected. You might call to confirm you're getting a touch model if that's what you want.

MHaensel wrote:
A heads up for people ordering from Best Buy: not all the G751JMs have a touch screen. I ordered one and it came without a touch screen. The return was painless, but I'm sure both BB and the people ordering would rather get what's expected. You might call to confirm you're getting a touch model if that's what you want.

Well, I just picked up the one I had originally returned and it has a touch screen.

So far I think it's great! I absolutely love the screen as its not a matte screen. Not sure if the non-touch screen models have the matte screen or not as I have not seen them.

SpikeB
Level 7
Good choice on returning it. I just, JUST bought the same from Best Buy today and the screen was flickering right at start... It's not a software issue...it's a hardware issue. FML. Returning it TODAY!

hmscott
Level 12
As guvadc has noted elsewhere, the G751JM has Optimus, so for me the G751JM is off my recommended buy list.

The G751JT has a config that is only $100-150 more, when it releases, so I would recommend upgrading to the G751JT with the 970m and no Optimus.

MHaensel
Level 7
As of this weekend, Best Buy has split the G751JM into different models/SKUs. They both cost the same today.
(Matte) Non-touch screen: G751JM-BHI7N27
(Glossy) Touch screen: G751JM-BHI7T25

I'm filling in the matte/glossy based on my experience with the non-touch models and other forum posts. Hope this helps!

MHaensel wrote:
As of this weekend, Best Buy has split the G751JM into different models/SKUs. They both cost the same today.
(Matte) Non-touch screen: G751JM-BHI7N27
(Glossy) Touch screen: G751JM-BHI7T25

I'm filling in the matte/glossy based on my experience with the non-touch models and other forum posts. Hope this helps!

That must not be consistent because I have the G751JM-BHI7N27 and it's touch screen and glossy. But what else would you expect from ASUS? They can't ever make something simple and keep it that way. That is what the T stands for in the model number. T=TOUCH and N=NON-TOUCH

But ASUS must have made a vendor change for screens and Best Buy kept the model numbers the same probably to save the aggravation of changing the scan info and advertisement tags because I have friends that bought these same models and there was even a Matt finish with touch on one of them. I've learned that ASUS makes so many different variations of their models and then they have some specific specs and models that are made exclusively for specific stores and their is always so much research needed to get to the bottom of things and it's a big hassle. If it was so efficient then we would not have people ending up with a Matt Non Touch version when they expected a Glossy WITH Touch. Asus needs to learn how to simplify things just a little better for end users. It's high time they allow for some custom ordering from stores like bestbuy. Memory and hard drive upgrades are under the user access panel and literally take minutes to access. This outrageous list of different model numbers and specs is so stupid and shows no uniformity.

Base Model options should be minimal and have different CPU/Video chipset configurations. But that's where the model name list should end and the following options should be ours to choose when we order
1. Memory
2. Hard Drive/SSD

Even if there are better ways to address simplifying things, Asus's way is redundant and more confusing thatn it needs to be. And IPS has been around long enough with substantial improvements that even a gaming laptop, especially one of this calibur, should have one standard. All the gaming systems coming out now that don't have a high quality screen should be thrown in the trash. That trick of using low quality cheap screens is getting old and laptop manufacturers do it to meet a price point thinking we are too stupid to realize it. And anything less than 1080p on any laptop 15.5" or larger is an abomination. And whoever thought a 4k SCREEN on a laptop with ****ty video less than GTX980 should be fired or hunted down and tied to a tree and...... 'nuff said. Lenovo

I said what I said. Yea, I did

old_Dusty
Level 7
I can't recommend MSI, in three years, My GT780DX was in under warranty twice, and now BOTH hinges have broken free of the frame AND I've duct taped the screen to a board, nailed to a tray to keep the screen upright.