cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JL - Fan Whirling/Grinding Sound to the Right Of The Touchpad?

Zorgon
Level 7
Hello,

Wondering if someone can help me here.

Recently I've noticed a whirling/gridning sound, like the sound a fan would make if it's got some debris in it from inside my G751JL. The strange thing is the sound is coming from about 5-6 inches to the right of the touchpad. The sound is only apparent if the notebook is angled a little. If it's completely flat I don't hear it.

From the teardowns I've seen of the inside of the G75 laptops there is no fan at this location so I am wondering if anyone could shed a little light on what this could? I am guessing it might be the HDD ?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

ST9752
Level 10
Whoops, double post - see below.

ST9752
Level 10
Sounds like you're hearing the hard drive which is located to the right of the touchpad. The grinding sound is most likely the head thrashing around. This would usually be normal, however IF you have heard a distinct change in this recently then it could be a hard drive failure on the way. A hard drive (the normal spinning type) should not change it's sound much at all over the course of it's life span.

Run the task manager and look at the performance tab - specifically the "Disk" graph. That will be very busy just after booting and then it will calm down. If the noise you are hearing coincides with that, then it's the drive.