cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JL BSOD Failures after upgrading from 8 GB to 24 GB of RAM

Lord_Chabelo
Level 7
So I have a G751JL that came with 8GB of RAM, and shipped with Windows 8.1 and was upgraded to Windows 10 right before the free upgrade promotion ended on 08/31/2016. I ran ROG CPU-Z before purchasing extra memory and it said I had a Samsung 8 GB stick on the 4th slot. I matched the model of the memory and bought a 16 GB kit of matching RAM. (I didn't want to deal with installing a stick of memory on the hard to access slot). The machine recognized the extra memory just fine and ROG CPU-Z showed everything was running fine.

Ever since then I keep getting random BSOD with everything from MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, BAD_POOL_HEADER, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.

I tried running Windows Memory Diagnostic, but no matter what I select ("Restart now and check for problems" or "Check for problems next time I start my computer" the diagnostic never runs. My machine boots up to a black screen and I have to do a hard reset to get Windows running again)

Any way to get Windows Memory Diagnostic to work, or other way to check the new memory? If there is nothing wrong with the memory, how do I get the laptop to work properly with the added RAM?
9 REPLIES 9

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Welcome to the forums!

Curious if the Windows Memory Diagnostic ran any better before you installed the additional memory, or try removing the additional memory to see if it's related.
Haven't tried it in awhile, but some people like using 'memtest' if you want to look into that.

Another idea is to just run it with one additional module at a time and in different slots if necessary to make sure it's not a bad module or a bad memory slot, but would like to compare with other kinds of memory if it's not too difficult.

Good luck!

cl-Albert wrote:
Welcome to the forums!

Curious if the Windows Memory Diagnostic ran any better before you installed the additional memory, or try removing the additional memory to see if it's related.
Haven't tried it in awhile, but some people like using 'memtest' if you want to look into that.

Another idea is to just run it with one additional module at a time and in different slots if necessary to make sure it's not a bad module or a bad memory slot, but would like to compare with other kinds of memory if it's not too difficult.

Good luck!

I removed one stick at a time and with an extra 8 GB on slot 1 I still had the same issues. Will check Windows Memory Diagnostic since I have removed all extra memory from the machine.

Both sticks cause BSOD issues in Slot 1 and in Slot 2. Windows Memory Diagnostic does NOT run with just the factory 8 GB installed on the machine

Suggest you run Memtest Run it on your original memory, then 1 at a time with each of your new sticks, you need a good 6 hour run to insure good RAM unless you start getting error right away. This way eliminates any windows interference. Double check the spects of your new RAM Timings and Voltage must match, just having the same brand and model is not enough.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Seconded. Get Memtest86 and make a bootable flash drive with Rufus or burn it to a CD. It's way more through than the Windows diagnostic.

Clintlgm wrote:
Suggest you run Memtest Run it on your original memory, then 1 at a time with each of your new sticks, you need a good 6 hour run to insure good RAM unless you start getting error right away. This way eliminates any windows interference. Double check the spects of your new RAM Timings and Voltage must match, just having the same brand and model is not enough.

I'll run memtest on all three sticks later on. The specs match on all three memory stick (voltage, timing, per ROG CPU-Z)

Anyone know how to get the memory out of dual channel once more than 16 GB are in the machine? Anyone know if the machine is configured to use the 8 GB in slot 3 (keyboard side) first before using slot 1 or 2 (removable cover side) while in dual mode? If the memory sticks check out, I am tempted to crack open the laptop and using slots 2, 3, and 4 for the memory.

Separate issue, but maybe related to the Windows Memory Diagnostic one. No matter what I do I cannot boot from CD or USB. The PC just goes into a black screen, like Windows Memory Diagnostic. I have tried changing boot order, restart with esc held down, shutdown with shift held down and power up with f2 held down, I used change advanced startup options but the screen is always black. It's almost like the display driver just wont work without Windows

Memory has been thoroughly tested with memtest86, no errors. Any other ideas?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Memory diagnostics aren't able to catch all problems as far as I know, so would still like to find out if the memory you purchased will really work well with the G751JL although it sounds like you unit might have an unrelated issue as well.
Not sure if you're still under warranty and want to get that other problem checked out, but thinking there is a chance that memory you purchased may be incompatible if you have a way to return or exchange it (unless you have another G751JL unit lying around to compare with?).
Although we haven't approved the memory on our end, noticed there are some memory manufacturers that actually list memory they approved on their end for the ASUS G751JL if you want to go that route, but if you run into any problems, you will need to deal with them. It's possible they are assuming you don't have another memory module installed though and not sure if you want to go through the trouble of running your other memory without the preinstalled RAM.

For the blank screen issue connect an external monitor if you haven't already and try pressing FN+F8 to see if that will make any difference.

Anyway, you may want to get other opinions too since I'm not sure what is causing the problem(s) right now.

cl-Albert wrote:
Memory diagnostics aren't able to catch all problems as far as I know, so would still like to find out if the memory you purchased will really work well with the G751JL although it sounds like you unit might have an unrelated issue as well.
Not sure if you're still under warranty and want to get that other problem checked out, but thinking there is a chance that memory you purchased may be incompatible if you have a way to return or exchange it (unless you have another G751JL unit lying around to compare with?).
Although we haven't approved the memory on our end, noticed there are some memory manufacturers that actually list memory they approved on their end for the ASUS G751JL if you want to go that route, but if you run into any problems, you will need to deal with them. It's possible they are assuming you don't have another memory module installed though and not sure if you want to go through the trouble of running your other memory without the preinstalled RAM.

For the blank screen issue connect an external monitor if you haven't already and try pressing FN+F8 to see if that will make any difference.

Anyway, you may want to get other opinions too since I'm not sure what is causing the problem(s) right now.

The memory chips I am trying to add are the exact same model and have the exact same specs as the one currently installed. Warranty just ran out. Slots 1 and 3 are the easily accessible ones. Slots 2 and 4 are the ones under the keyboard. Do I have to add memory to slot 2 first then I am free to use slots 1 and 3? I also noticed ASUS has a BIOS update, but could not find a tech document on how to update their laptops' BIOS.