cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751J - Delete recovery partition, but keep ASUS windows image?

andreacos92
Level 9
Hi all 🙂

Anyone managed to delete the recovery partition in the new ROGs?
I have done the backup on a pen drive using Backtracker, but the option to delete the partition is missing. Tried all the versions of Backtracker.

I have a G751JY-T7134H, that comes with a 128GB SataIII SSD, partitioned as well by Asus

Partizione ### Tipo Dim. Offset
---------- ----- ---------------- ------- -------
Partizione 1 Sistema 100 Mb 1024 Kb
Partizione 2 Riservato 128 Mb 101 Mb
Partizione 3 Primario 107 Gb 229 Mb
Partizione 4 Ripristino 12 Gb 107 Gb

I tried to delete the recovery partition, the last one of 12 GB, using easeUS Partition Master first and the Windows8 bootable USB pen drive later, but with the same result: if I delete the recovery partition, Windows can't boot anymore and it's not possible to repair it because the repair utility finds no Windows installation... so I was forced to restore all using the Backtracker pen drive.

I read this post by @hmscott http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51245-Anyone-knows-how-to-merge-C-amp-D-disk-drive-into-one...
He deleted all the partitions on his SSD (except the Windows partition of course) with no problems, including the System and the Reserved partitions (100Mb and 128Mb)... I want to try the same too but I'm not convinced.
Maybe it's not possible delete this partition on the G751? :eek:
25 REPLIES 25

GhostriderZ85
Level 7
I don't know why you want to go through all of this hassle, you can just easily use asus backtracker to save the image to a flash drive, then do a clean install, way easier than going through all this hoops.

The asus loading screen will stay whether you do clean install or not, it't not part of the windows install, it is saved to the uefi, you won't lose it unless you modify the uefi/bios.

ciccio80
Level 9
Nice to know, thx

bubble1973
Level 7
For me personally it is also not inacceptable if Asus provides the tool "Backtracker" which is not working as documented: http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008647/

I don´t feel comfortable if I have to laptop with 1500€ and have to spent hours for setting it up as requested. I can´t understand why they split SSD into two partions??

bubble1973 wrote:
For me personally it is also not inacceptable if Asus provides the tool "Backtracker" which is not working as documented: http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008647/

I don´t feel comfortable if I have to laptop with 1500€ and have to spent hours for setting it up as requested. I can´t understand why they split SSD into two partions??

Exactly. On the support page Asus clearly states that the Backtraker app can delete the recovery partition. When I asked them, they first responded to try and use an older version. I tryed all of them an none have the option enabled to delete the recovery partition. I asked again, but no response this time. Very rude of them.

ciccio80 wrote:
Exactly. On the support page Asus clearly states that the Backtraker app can delete the recovery partition. When I asked them, they first responded to try and use an older version. I tryed all of them an none have the option enabled to delete the recovery partition. I asked again, but no response this time. Very rude of them.

ciccio80, I doubt they are trying to be rude, but instead are waiting for an answer to their escalated question, they also get off for weekends 😉

The Backtracker app needs to support lots of other laptops too, and there are options for other laptops that don't show up on the G750 and I am assuming for the G751 - like whether or not to make 2 partitions per mounted volume - on the G750 you don't get the choice.

It's too bad there is a glitch in deleting the recovery partition, but keep asking - send more than one email / start another conversation / until you get what you are asking for - escalate to get the option fixed.

If you don't have any success going through the support TL, PM cl-albert and ask for support assistance.

Please let us know how it works out 🙂

ciccio80
Level 9
@ Nomad101
I think the problem we are discussing here is related to the Win 8.1 x64 version of the preinstalled windows (Win7 is another story).
Interesting btw, 'till now no one found a solution to this problem and Asus hasn't updated it's "backtracker" software to make this work. I think the only way to malke space is to install a clean Win 8.1.