cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 Sound Crackling Thread (The one thread to rule them all)

Mousepad
Level 10
EDIT - These drivers seem to allow us to disable Realtek power management ftp://ftp3.realtek.com.tw/Realtek/GeneralRelease/7624_PG435_Win10_Win8.1_Win8_Win7_WHQL.zip username : spcust password : hwwk758z
What this means is that you need to do this in regedit : Using : [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Realtek\Audio\RtkNGUI64 \PowerMgnt]
"Enabled"=dword:00000000

Make sure to restart after you change regedit. What all of this will do is when you turn on your laptop the first sound in windows will still produce a crackle as the sound turns on but then the sound stays on and doesn't constantly crackle every time there is a sound. There is still a shhh/chhh noise if you press your ear to the upper left part of the laptop. However, this noise isn't as noticeable as the crackling was and you have to actually press your ear against it to hear it.
Credit goes to X7007 for trying out these drivers first. Good job!
/EDIT

We seem to be spread out on too many threads with this issue and some people aren't even aware of other threads where this issue gets talked about so I figured a more centralized thread where we can see how many people still have this issue is warranted. If you still have this issue and the Regedit fix doesn't work for you please just make a small post here.

Video of the issue - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0q5Fa-lZr4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0KjGZNRur4

When making a video of the issue it is harder to hear than in reality. I don't have to put my ear next to the computer like I put the camera to hear the crackle. That's not how I computer. I just go to youtube.com and before I even click a video or play audio it crackles. Every. Time. It prematurely crackles. Putting the volume on mute doesn't make it go away. Making the volume louder or quieter doesn't either likely because it crackles before the audio even starts playing. It anticipates the audio. Another easy way to hear the crackle is to go into the Realtek application with the volume on mute and click on the speakers and they do their test but as you click on them they crackle and when the 2 second test is over they crackle again. You can also open up a video and it will crackle. Open up a video and close it right after is also fun for double the crackle. Almost like something turning on and off except I doubt you are supposed to hear it. My HP HDX18 never made this noise. Another thing to note is that this crackling issue has threads for other laptop manufacturers so we all think given the evidence that this is driver based. If I uninstall the Realtek drivers the issue goes away but then the sound sucks and I'm not really getting what I paid for!

One last thing to mention is that I am currently talking to CL-Albert about this issue so hopefully we can come to some conclusion. His test unit makes the crackle very minimally to the point where to hear it he has to put his ear to the laptop. So it is different than ours.

Threads:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57000-G751-Weird-sound-before-anything-plays
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57178-G751J-Sound-Crackling-Issue-How-to-reproduce-it-and-p...
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57646-G751JT-Weird-noises
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57462-G751-Imbalanced-Sound-Problem-%28internal-speakers-on...
271 REPLIES 271

hmscott
Level 12
Mousepad, so start a *new* thread to because there are already too many threads on the subject? 🙂

How about delete this thread, and pick one of the 4 above and make the post there, then use that thread as the one to make your new responses? That would make more sense.

And, actually, it isn't bad to have several conversations going on at the same time.

When 1 person starts several threads, that's when it's a problem.

You can delete my post(s) in this thread too 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Mousepad, so start a *new* thread to because there are already too many threads on the subject? 🙂

How about delete this thread, and pick one of the 4 above and make the post there, then use that thread as the one to make your new responses? That would make more sense.

And, actually, it isn't bad to have several conversations going on at the same time.

When 1 person starts several threads, that's when it's a problem.

You can delete my post too 🙂

I wanted to gather everyone into one. Earlier today one of the threads got bumped by someone asking if there was any new info so it seemed clear to me that people aren't following all threads and may not even realize their issue is the same as in those other threads. The titles were all ambiguous about "weird noises", etc. I thought it would create a bog down if we are responding in 4 different threads about the same issue. Let me know if, after reading my justification, you think I should still take it down. I will if you think so. Thanks

Mousepad wrote:
I wanted to gather everyone into one. Earlier today one of the threads got bumped by someone asking if there was any new info so it seemed clear to me that people aren't following all threads and may not even realize their issue is the same as in those other threads. The titles were all ambiguous about "weird noises", etc. I thought it would create a bog down if we are responding in 4 different threads about the same issue. Let me know if, after reading my justification, you think I should still take it down. I will if you think so. Thanks

Mousepad, there were 4 threads you found, might be others, and all those are getting action, so unless you delete all those threads, or merge them into 1 thread, they are going to continue to get action - and your 5th thread just means there is yet another place for action to occur - outside the other 4 threads.

It isn't all bad to have more than 1 thread, as the community will comment in the one's that they find and speak to them as being what they want to make comment on. Then over time 1 or more threads will get more comments than the others, and the others will drop off the front page - but will be found via a search.

Again, if you pick 1 of those 4 threads, and start contributing there, you are making your voice heard in that thread and that thread will bobble to the front page and stay there. The one that someone bumped is a good candidate - but if you think one of the other 3 speak to the problem better, then pick one of those.

There is an urge to heard cats by saying "Here Kitty", but it is the food that attracts the cats and focuses the cats attention away from other distractions. Provide that food. 🙂

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
hmscott wrote:
Mousepad, there were 4 threads you found, might be others, and all those are getting action, so unless you delete all those threads, or merge them into 1 thread, they are going to continue to get action - and your 5th thread just means there is yet another place for action to occur - outside the other 4 threads.

Okay, I closed most of those other threads and provided links to this one, so hopefully all the updated replies will appear here.

Also, if anyone missed it at the other thread and is interested, below is what I found with my G751JT test unit and some thoughts about this issue. Thanks.

===========================

I've finally been able to catch the problem on my G751JT test unit thanks to Mousepad's help, but only if I put my ear right next to the subwoofer with the sound muted, so it may not be as severe on my unit, or I may just not be enough of an audiophile.

My G751JT is running the 0206 bios and had a newer ASUS image installed recently, so may have updated drivers although the audio driver was still the *.7335 version. Also tried the *.7432 driver with no change for this issue.
I did a 'reset'/recovery before the testing, so my software was pretty clean if it matters and no other devices were plugged in.

If it makes sense, those running into the problem may want to work with their local ASUS repair center in case the problem is worse on some units, but it was difficult to catch with my test unit, so be sure to provide clear steps, or even demonstrate the issue in person if it's possible.

http://www.asus.com/support/callus

Corporal
Level 9
I'm having the same issue and haven't found a solution yet. The strange sound doesn't only come from the headphones when they are plugged in. The subwoofer seems to play a moderately loud noise even when 3,5 headphones are plugged in. I also noticed that the subwoofer is producing white noise when the sound card is active (playing music through headphones). It's very quiet, but it shouldn't be active at all.

hmscott
Level 12
cl-albert, thank you for focusing the threads to here 🙂

Also, you can try a newer Realtek driver, Version V6.0.1.7443 for Windows 8.1 x64
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Audio&os=30

hmscott wrote:
cl-albert, thank you for focusing the threads to here 🙂

Also, you can try a newer Realtek driver, Version V6.0.1.7443 for Windows 8.1 x64
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Audio&os=30

I have tried the newer one and I thought it made the issue worse. Has anyone else given it a shot?

I am running the windows install that came with the computer and I just took off the bloatware. Albert you mentioned that you have a fresh install. I wonder if anyone has tried reformatting with a fresh install to see if that randomly fixes it?

Mousepad wrote:
I have tried the newer one and I thought it made the issue worse. Has anyone else given it a shot?

I am running the windows install that came with the computer and I just took off the bloatware. Albert you mentioned that you have a fresh install. I wonder if anyone has tried reformatting with a fresh install to see if that randomly fixes it?

I have done a fresh install with a Windows 8.1 DVD and then installed all the drivers from the Asus website including the latest Audio and for me it felt like a difference for the sound when I go past 60% with the new AUDIO driver it does not sound terrible like it used too.

Sorry if I got the information wrong but wasn't the sounds that pop up now and then from the fan starting or something about the HDD?
I just get a sound when moving my mouse or opening the browser after taking a pause from browsing and such. And another different sound would be the one you get when you put a DVD in the bay but like very short when you don't actually do that, just starts random.

Raffafari wrote:
I have done a fresh install with a Windows 8.1 DVD and then installed all the drivers from the Asus website including the latest Audio and for me it felt like a difference for the sound when I go past 60% with the new AUDIO driver it does not sound terrible like it used too.

Sorry if I got the information wrong but wasn't the sounds that pop up now and then from the fan starting or something about the HDD?
I just get a sound when moving my mouse or opening the browser after taking a pause from browsing and such. And another different sound would be the one you get when you put a DVD in the bay but like very short when you don't actually do that, just starts random.

I think the QuietHDD issue is a different one than this as I have an SSD and others have posted that it is different than that.

As for the DVD noise I'd rather not go too off topic but is it this at about 3 seconds in? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEcpKcsm7U0 When I took out the DVD drive it stopped but now I am not sure what to do as I don't want a hole there so I put it back in and it sometimes makes that noise for no apparent reason. It doesn't seem to affect anything though. Mostly happens when I boot the computer. Do you have the stock DVD drive that came with the machine?