cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 OS Migration to Second SSD Drive

BananaInc
Level 7
Hi everyone. This will be my first time migrating my OS (Windows 10) to an SSD. My plan is to insert an 850 EVO SSD 2.5" into the second empty drive slot (Not replacing the current 1TB HDD that came with the laptop).
Regarding the OS transfer, I have two questions:

My hard drive came partitioned into a C: and 😧 with the C: holding the OS as it came. When I transfer the OS, would I have to clone the C partition (If I even have to clone at all) or would I be cloning the whole hard drive with both partitions? The amount of data used between C: and 😧 takes up roughly 200GB more than the 500GB SSD can hold, but I only wish to transfer the OS to the SSD and reinstall programs later to the SSD from the C: and D:. If this adds any importance, the partition that the OS is on is smaller than the 500GB SSD (Partition being roughly 350GB) while the partition with all of my programs on it that I don't mind installing later on the SSD is larger than the SSD (About 600GB filled).

Secondly, would I need to purchase a SATA to USB adapter if I'm not replacing any hard drives? The SSD is taking up the second empty bay and is not replacing the 1TB HDD. Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

JustinThyme
Level 13
My recommendation would be to clone the entire drive then put it in the place of the spinner. then you can put the spinner in the second spot and delete any partitions on the new drive you dont want. This is just to make sure you get the UEFI boot partition over and the recovery partition if its still there. The second bay on the G751 Series is SATA II not SATA III. Cruel joke by ASUS. Wont have too much of an effect on a spinner but will hinder the performance of an SSD severely.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
My recommendation would be to clone the entire drive then put it in the place of the spinner. then you can put the spinner in the second spot and delete any partitions on the new drive you dont want. This is just to make sure you get the UEFI boot partition over and the recovery partition if its still there. The second bay on the G751 Series is SATA II not SATA III. Cruel joke by ASUS. Wont have too much of an effect on a spinner but will hinder the performance of an SSD severely.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. To clarify, would I need to purchase a SATA to USB adapter or can I insert the SSD into the empty slot and clone it from there? I plan to use the Samsung Magician Software that comes with the SSD if this changes anything.