cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 Not having 120Hz?

Deluxius
Level 7
Is it correct that the G751 does not have 120Hz screen? It is a shame if the Asus people dont fix this. It has been going on for quite some time now. All the models before in this serie do not have 120Hz screens.

It is basically like having a racecar with a lawn mower engine. I really do not understand why the Asus people do not get a better 120Hz screen. It is not like the cost of a120Hz screen is that much more.

I guess Asus dont think gamers care about things like screen tearing and jearky motion.

I think lots of people are not going to buy this pc because of this considerable issue.
283 Views
40 REPLIES 40

hmscott
Level 12
Anyone for a 1440p 144hz 27" IPS Laptop screen? 🙂

144Hz IPS-type Panels Developed - 1440p as Well
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/144hz-ips-type-panels-developed-1440p-as-well.html

Can a laptop 1440p 144hz IPS screen be far behind?

How about an 18.x" ROG Laptop with 1440p 144hz IPS, Asus?

CoryBee
Level 7
Richdog wrote:
Ive seen it, and again, I MUCH prefer having an IPS for the colours, viewing angles, and all the times that I am NOT gaming. I also use my laptop for productivity, and theres an area where a TN panel simply cannot compete.

Besides, we all play different types of games... I do not play fast-twitch multiplayer FPS, I play single player story-driven games, fantasy role playing games, and RTS. IPS suits this perfectly... my games look and play awesomely and feel completely smooth.

You are in the minority of people who care about having a 120hz crummy TN panel vs having a glorious IPS.


Solid point actually.

I did a bit more research and found that IPS monitors that do 120hz doesn't really exist on laptops yet. Not sure about desktop ones.

Didn't realize we were sacrificing IPS to have higher Hz rates. I see now why these have 60hz screens.

It is unfortunate though that we don't have a choice to upgrade the screen then to suit a multitude of gamers. I would gladly change to a screen that was able to give me a higher frame rate.

Found this on a forum, makes sense;
"From previous knowledge, which is a bit rusty, it is due to the fact that the panel - using IPS, results in a much slowed response time which is why hardcore gamers sometimes prefer to use a TN panel as response times are down to a millisecond, even at the cost of some brightness and vividity in the colours of an IPS.

I don't believe the speed of 1-2ms has been developed for IPS due to the way it switches between frames and as such is difficult to minimise the time elapsed."


Cheers
ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72
CPU: 2.4 GHz Core i7-4700HQ
Memory: 32 GB DDR3
Graphics: GeForce GTX 880m 4GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 512GB SSD (256GB SSD x 2 RAID) + 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Screen: 17.3" Full HD Glossy Screen
Sound: Custom Internal 7.1 Surround Sound Astro a50 Transmitter
Hobby: Arcade Builder

CoryBee wrote:
Solid point actually.

I did a bit more research and found that IPS monitors that do 120hz doesn't really exist on laptops yet. Not sure about desktop ones.

Didn't realize we were sacrificing IPS to have higher Hz rates. I see now why these have 60hz screens.

It is unfortunate though that we don't have a choice to upgrade the screen then to suit a multitude of gamers. I would gladly change to a screen that was able to give me a higher frame rate.

Found this on a forum, makes sense;
"From previous knowledge, which is a bit rusty, it is due to the fact that the panel - using IPS, results in a much slowed response time which is why hardcore gamers sometimes prefer to use a TN panel as response times are down to a millisecond, even at the cost of some brightness and vividity in the colours of an IPS.

I don't believe the speed of 1-2ms has been developed for IPS due to the way it switches between frames and as such is difficult to minimise the time elapsed."


Cheers


I understand and respct your point regarding the choice of panel type, but for me personally it really isn't noticeable that IPS has a "much slowed response" (and I have been an IPS gamer for years, my last monitor was a 6ms NEC 20GX2, which sadly was one of a kind, the blacks were truly exceptional). I don't play fast-twitch multiplayer games hat need that kind of edge, and all of the FPS I play (Bioshock Infinite and Deus Ex Human Revolution at the moment) look perfectly fine to me when I'm running around and shooting. 🙂

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Hold on, just to make this clear... the G751 has Optimus, and we can NOT overclock the screen's refresh rate?

Darnassus wrote:
Hold on, just to make this clear... the G751 has Optimus, and we can NOT overclock the screen's refresh rate?


Only on his model (JZ) I think, not the others (at least not on JY).

andreacos92
Level 9
G751 with 970m/980m have NOT Optimus.. Asus disabled it.
From what I read, someone overclocked the screen up to 100Hz, but then had image retention issue and had to reset to 60Hz.

I think that 75/80Hz should be possible and quite safe, but that's my opinion 🙂

Richdog
Level 7
Guys, I have now overclocked my panel to 100hz and (thus far) it seems to be stable without (thus far) affecting image quality. That means I have a panel with all of the huge benefits of an IPS, but with almost 120hz TN speeds. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54283-ASUS-G751-overclock-screen-refresh-rate-to-75hz-quick...!

Of course YMMV, but even if you get a 90hz overclock then this is still a huge 50% improvement over stock.

KingOfTanks_113
Level 7
I don't mind having it be 60 I use a 4k screen at home but when I am out of town the g751 does the job above and beyond IPS over TN any day of the week

bsod
Level 7
My 751jt is currently clocked at 74hz to avoid the flickering issues I've been having with certain background patterns on websites.
It would improve a lot with 100hz I'm sure but not sure if I should just return this machine, as I am not sure how bad the voltage alignment issues are with my machine's display.

There's already quite a difference going from 60Hz -> 74Hz for me.
On the inversion pattern website http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php#invpattern it goes from heavy flickering of #5 and 7a, light flickering of 7b -> light/med flickering of #5, no flicker for 7a and light flickering for 7b.

bsod wrote:
My 751jt is currently clocked at 74hz to avoid the flickering issues I've been having with certain background patterns on websites.
It would improve a lot with 100hz I'm sure but not sure if I should just return this machine, as I am not sure how bad the voltage alignment issues are with my machine's display.

There's already quite a difference going from 60Hz -> 74Hz for me.
On the inversion pattern website http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php#invpattern it goes from heavy flickering of #5 and 7a, light flickering of 7b -> light/med flickering of #5, no flicker for 7a and light flickering for 7b.


bsod, do I understand that at 74hz you still have light flickering? This was the same on the Chi Mei displays. Setting at 85hz or more was required to remove all hint of flickering.