cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 JM Dead Screen after battery replacement

TimmoUK
Level 7
Hi,
First post here after doing days of searching as I need some help. I replaced the battery on my G751JM after watching various posts how to do it and put everything back together and hit the power button and I get nothing on the screen. It doesn't post and there is no HDD activity light at all. I've tried doing the reset without the battery in etc and I've tried reseating the RAM and the hard drive but no joy...I'm guessing there is something preventing it going through POST as there are no flashing lights or beeps at all. Has anyone had any similar issues or can you offer me any advice as I am sitting with a brick now....
I've hooked up the Hard drive to another laptop and have salvaged my files etc but I don't know what next to try to get the G751 working. I don't think I've damaged the cable between the motherboard and the screen and I've taken off the bezel and checked the end that connects into the screen and that looks fine.
The only thing that I may have done is disconnected the screen at the motherboard end before disconnecting the battery...Would this have fried something? I'm kind of stuck right now so desperately looking for any suggestions or advice....I had an old alienware that lasted me for 10 years and replaced with this that I've only had for 3 or maybe 4 years...
All help and suggestions appreciated thanks
10 REPLIES 10

ciccio80
Level 9
Hi, if you unplugged the screen cable BEFORE unplugging the system battery, the motherboard circuits were still under electric tension and it could be that you ‘fried’ the motherboard.
I would suggest to take the notebook completely apart and remove the SMALL BIOS BATTERY for a minute to reset it (you’ll find this battery on the same side of the motherboard where the GPU/CPU are located). Then carefully put the whole thing back together and see if it boots. If not, you have most likely bricked the mobo.

Source:**that’s how I resolved the same problem. Fortunately my mobo wasn’t damaged and the notebook restarted after battery reset.