cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 Imbalanced Sound Problem OFFICIAL SUPPORT THREAD (thread closed)

BRSxIgnition
Level 9
I've created this thread to condense the information we've gathered on this issue over the course of the old thread, which can be found here.

Current Fix Status:
Fix Here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57462-G751-Imbalanced-Sound-Problem-FIX-IS-OUT!

Current Probable Issue Diagnosis:
Regular Signal instead of LFE (Low Frequency Effects) Signal to Subwoofer

Description (In different states):
Installed Drivers (Main Issue):

All speakers "working", but WITH massive imbalance issue.Sub greatly overshadows L/R Speakers & also distorts at volumes above 35%. Can hear sound very faintly coming from L/R speakers with ear pressed up against them.

Uninstalled Drivers (Temporary Fix):

Subwoofer (Only) is default playback device, with L/R Speakers being listed as a separate playback device. Left and Right Speakers working at full volume when selected as default playback device, with no sound
coming from subwoofer. Subwoofer can play audio when selected as default device, but distorts at volume levels above 35%, and does not work in conjunction with rear speakers in this configuration. (Either/Or Situation)

Reinstalled Drivers (Main Issue, Again):

Same effect as "Installed Drivers" every time. (All speakers "working", but WITH the imbalance issue. Sub greatly outpowers L/R Speakers & also distorts at volumes above 35%. Can hear sound very faintly coming from L/R speakers with ear pressed up against them.)

**NEW** Subwoofer Disabled (New Finding/Confirmation):

L/R Speakers can be heard perfectly fine when Subwoofer is disabled using the "Vbcmd_mute_int_woofer" Mute.exe file provided by MarshallR@ASUS on the ROG Forums. Cannot comment on volume level, but volume seems to scale fine without the subwoofer to overshadow it. This confirms the situation is a software issue, and all speakers are physically fine.

This issue is known to arise both brand new "out of box" units as well as on units where the OS has been cloned or reinstalled on a new drive and the ASUS Support Site drivers have been used. All G751 Models can have this issue.

Temporary Fixes:
As mentioned in the description, the speakers still work fine, proving that the issue is Software, not Hardware-related.

To get your Left & Right back speakers working correctly, follow the temporary fix guides below.

**NEW** TEMPORARY FIX - DISABLE SUBWOOFER:

• Download and extract this RAR file.
  • Make sure you have the ASUS G751 Realtek Drivers installed. You can find them here.
  • Unzip Vbcmd_mute_int_woofer tool, and run Mute.exe.
  • If it returns a "Success!" message, your subwoofer should now be disabled.
  • If you ever need to enable your subwoofer again (when a fix is issued), simply unzip Vbcmd_unmute_int_woofer and run Unmute.exe.
  • Viola.

Enjoy your tinny-back speakers with no sub until we get a fix from ASUS. Until then, keep checking in here for updates, and let us know if you find anything!

Edit by cl-Albert 2/5/15: Very late thanks for looking into this and apologies for the delay, BRSxIgnition.
The new *.7432 G751 audio driver has finally been released, so this thread has been closed (to avoid 2 competing threads) and a new thread started.
If anybody is interested, please post your testing results or comments about this new audio driver at the post below. Thanks!

G751 Imbalanced Sound Problem FIX IS OUT!

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57462-G751-Imbalanced-Sound-Problem-FIX-IS-OUT!
633 REPLIES 633

cablebandit
Level 7
I called Asus and the guy hung up immediately after saying, "All your bass belong to us".

cablebandit wrote:
I called Asus and the guy hung up immediately after saying, "All your bass belong to us".

I literally LOLed when I read this. Very creative.

toronto699
Level 13
lousy customer support , and lousy audio , here is the latest Realtek driver from asus V7409 good luck
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/forum/news/7-driver-realtek-hd-audio-6-0-1-71xx-whql?start=...

toronto699 wrote:
lousy customer support , and lousy audio , here is the latest Realtek driver from asus V7409 good luck
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/forum/news/7-driver-realtek-hd-audio-6-0-1-71xx-whql?start=...

What will these do that the other drivers haven't?

cablebandit wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised at this point.

fabrimacator21
Level 7
Unless somebody from Asus chimes in and says "all will be ok and we are expecting to have this solved by this date" I think we should all just assume theres a serious problem and they haven't got a handle on it yet. Seems to me that if they were on top of it and had a fix in hand, on the way, or were even getting close, someone from Asus would have stepped in and said something.

We've all been patient, how about a little respect for your customers Asus? What's going on?

thamann2000
Level 7
Go back on this thread and the previous ones. This was already forecasted. We thought this might happen.

This is why I said a mass return would be a solid option. We didn't get an update. We didn't get an ETA. And we didn't get reparations. There have been tons of technical support contacts and escalations done. They DO NOT care. Before this issue Marshall was very active on the board and now he has largely
disappeared. Let me tell you what's going to happen if we don't make our voices heard, they will do nothing wait until ALL return policies have expired and then tell us that it's "expected performance" and there is no fault or error. Remember at marshalls last update he said they could recreate the issue? How is that possible?!?!?!? When virtually everyone has the the error. How could they not find one computer to mimic the issue? Put a g750 next to a g751 and tell me there are no sound problems. EXACTLY. Return your systems yall.

BRSxIgnition
Level 9
Well, the chances I'll be returning mine just went up.

The power jack on mine - while working - is very lose, and the plug hangs down slightly due to gravity because of it. (It's lose enough to wiggle around quite a bit while plugged in.)

Did ASUS even care about what they shipped?

I may just end up waiting for something better with broadwell at this rate.. Now I just need to find a box big enough to ship this back in.

BRSxIgnition
Level 9
If there's no response by next friday - the 16th - on an ETA or promise that this will be fixed, mine is going back the following Monday.

I've said it countless times by now, but I'm putting my foot down.

If this is how they "handle" a software issue that involves an ENTIRE LINE OF LAPTOPS, I'd hate to see how they handle repairs or warranties for a single, unlucky customer.

Asus - this is your last chance to prove you're not that bad;

• PROMISE that we will be covered - either through an eventual software patch or for repairs.
  • Or give us an ETA for a PATCH.

The lack of either of these guarantees my return. I rather be without a computer for a month or three longer than put up with a company that doesn't care about their customers or care about their products.

What a disappointment.

Edweird
Level 10
I've posted a technical inquiry and requested escalation.

KoolASUS
Level 7
just FYI, they NEVER acknowledged nor fixed the G750 screen "faint vertical lines on some grey shades" issue. newer Nvidia drivers just "masked" the issue. apparently someone found out that it re-appears with Nvidia 347.09, on the G751, in some cases...
(off-topic, sorry)