cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 hitching hitching hitching hitching hitching hitching

Northforge
Level 8
Backstory/Symptoms:
Picked up a G751JY-DH73 on February 24th.
- Hitching/Stuttering (plugged in) in both online and offline games, every game, steam and non-steam games, SSD and Non-SSD game install locations.
Tested: unmodded Skyrim, Champions Online, Aion, Star Citizen, Borderlands 2

Exchanged for another G751JY-DH73 on March 4th.
- Hitching/Stuttering (plugged in) in both online and offline games.
Tested: unmodded Skyrim, Aion, Star Citizen, Borderlands 2, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Hawken.

Gaming hangs on the same frame and then resumes but doesn't display the expected flow and animations. Drops 1 fps and a heavy chug occurs but then goes up two fames, and then back down one fps.
(75, 75, 75, 75, 74 (feels like 10fps), 76, 75, 75, 75, 75, 75)

Overclocking:
Nope! Once this laptop runs unmodded Skyrim at 1024x768 stable with no hitching, I'll try overclocking.

Recourse:
Searched ROG forums, Searched Asus forums, Searched NVidia forums, Tested various GPU drivers, Spoke with Asus livechat, Spoke with NVidia livechat, exchanged laptops at vendor (Canada Computers), exact same problem persists.
Last time I exchanged the laptop. Since Asus and NVidia can't identify cause or provide solution, this time I'm just returning this laptop .. again. G74SX 560M 3GB (3 years old) DOMINATES over the G751 980M 4GB. Confused? Me too. It should not take over 100 hours of config/testing/googling/Q&A/techsupport/livechats/etc. (per laptop) to end horrific performance and to get it to function as intended.

UPDATES:
- Uninstalled McAfee. Tested.
- Set my firewall correctly. Tested.
- Disabled firewall. Tested.
- Ran windows updates until I was blue in the face.
- Updated every relative intel component updates.
- Updated wifi/ethernet updates. (not connected to wifi)
- Ran Asus updater. No updates found.
- Disabled pagefile. Tested.
- Enabled pagefile (sysmanaged). Tested.
- Set pagefile to 1024-4096. Tested.
- Installed NVidia's latest. Tested.
- Installed NVidia's older drivers. Tested.
- Uninstalled ROG Game First. Tested.
- Disabled GeForce BatteryBoost. Tested.
- Uninstalled GeForce Experience. Tested.
- Set High Performance power settings properly. Tested.
- Turned off indexer. Tested.
- Manually updated realtek drivers. Tested.
- Swapped game install directories across D, E, and F drives. Tested.
- Installed GPU-Z. Tested. (Max GPU load never exceeded 44%)
- Ran 3DMark Skydiver. Did not see any hitching or other problems.*
- Ran 3DMark Ice Storm Extreme. Did not see any hitching or other problems.*
- Uninstalled Nvidia 3D
- Uninstalled Nvidia Miracast
- Uninstalled Asus Webstorage
- Uninstalled OneDrive (disabled all settings)
- Uninstalled Apple (everything)
- Uninstalled Asus LiveUpdate
- Uninstalled Asus Virtual Camera
- Uninstalled Cyberlink Media Story
- Uninstalled Intel Driver Update utility
- Uninstalled Intel Processor Diagnostic tool
- Uninstalled 3DMark
- Set pagefile (1024-8192 Drive E)

Current condition:
Problem- Still persists.
254 Views
51 REPLIES 51

Northforge
Level 8
Would any of this be considered alarming to anyone? Could it be related to my problems? And, could this be CPU throttling? GPU-Z used during unmodded skyrim test where the hitching kept happening. 1550 MB memory used at peak, GPU load was 67%. Never heard the fans come on. Unsettling feeling, and confusion.

47387
47388

Northforge
Level 8
Possibly I'm suffering from power throttling. The guy says to avoid it to play plugged in. I've never unplugged it ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl62HC83rqE

Tested unmodded Skyrim unplugged with 30 fps cap from batteryboost. Still stop-and-go hitching/stutter.

Sanctrum
Level 9
Maybe try this...

Download hdparm for Windows and install.

Set appropriate "run as administrator" for the exe file

Run "as administrator" cmd console and "navigate" to hdparm installation directory, and execute IF your HDD drive is C:
(if not C then read hdparm manual to set it up accordingly)

hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda

REMEMBER that the above command will work UNTILL the FIRST sleep and/or hibernation of your laptop (eg. when you close the laptops lid/screen)... so you must to REPEAT it after the laptop wakes up.

Tested at Win7 and WD scorpio 500GB 2,5' drive... Without it I expereience LAG's not only during games but also in the system (ge. starting another window of firefox, etc.).

If it solves your problem than search google how to make it to start automatically after each system restart and how to switch off all automatic sleep/hibernation when the laptop is AC powered.

Northforge
Level 8
I think you're suggesting the problem could be Windows is trying to sleep/hibernate while gaming? Must be a way to monitor for that. Too much unknown to apply a fix that might not be necessary.

Sanctrum wrote:
Maybe try this...
Download hdparm for Windows and install.
Set appropriate "run as administrator" for the exe file
Run "as administrator" cmd console and "navigate" to hdparm installation directory, and execute IF your HDD drive is C:
(if not C then read hdparm manual to set it up accordingly)
hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda
REMEMBER that the above command will work UNTILL the FIRST sleep and/or hibernation of your laptop (eg. when you close the laptops lid/screen)... so you must to REPEAT it after the laptop wakes up.
Tested at Win7 and WD scorpio 500GB 2,5' drive... Without it I expereience LAG's not only during games but also in the system (ge. starting another window of firefox, etc.).
If it solves your problem than search google how to make it to start automatically after each system restart and how to switch off all automatic sleep/hibernation when the laptop is AC powered.


Northforge wrote:
I think you're suggesting the problem could be Windows is trying to sleep/hibernate while gaming? Must be a way to monitor for that. Too much unknown to apply a fix that might not be necessary.


Sanctrum/Northforge, hdparam is setting the same thing as quiethdd, but hdparam wasn't working correctly last I tried it. I used to use it before quiethdd came out, so it was the first thing I tried on my G750JW with a 750GB drive. Fortunately I found quiethdd and it did work 🙂

Northforge seems to be having a problem with something else in addition to what he sees when running a game from an HDD.

Did you say you had 8GB at one point and were wondering if adding another matching SODIMM would give you Dual Channel memory bandwidth and that might help?

It also might be that you still have paging turned on, and even though you have enough memory your pagefile is growing dynamically - default setting.

8GB is a little light, but still doable to run without a paging file, as long as you remember that Windows doesn't like getting closer than about 20% to the end of usable / reported free memory.

If you can watch to make sure you stay at no more than 80% memory usage, you will be ok - or add more memory.

I also disable Fastboot (in Windows, but leave it on in BIOS) and disable Hibernate. I run with no pagefile on machines with 8GB or more, but started out when 4GB was feasible.

No backing store writing / accessing the disk should remove the last HDD, or even SSD related storage glitch. When the pagefile disk access coincides with the app access, someone has to wait for their data - causing a glitch.

47401

How to disable or enable Fast Startup in Windows 8.1
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-or-enable-fast-startup-in-windows-8-1/

47402

You can also disable Hibernate, upon which Fast Startup (and fast shutdown) rely on via an Administrator cmd window with:

powercfg hibernate off

47403

But, the first method works too, using the GUI to uncheck Hibernate, Fast Startup, Sleep (optional)

The nice side benefit is that doing this removes the pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys wasted space from your C partition, for me 64GB freed up on a 237GB SSD, big win. 🙂

Please give it a try and see if you notice any effect on the gaming from the SSD/HDD (with quiethdd set for APM 255 / disable).

Give it a try and see if it affects the

hmscott wrote:
Northforge seems to be having a problem with something else in addition to what he sees when running a game from an HDD.


And SDD. I've tried all my games in various drives

hmscott wrote:
Did you say you had 8GB at one point and were wondering if adding another matching SODIMM would give you Dual Channel memory bandwidth and that might help?


Negative. G751JY-DH73 24GB RAM GTX 980M 4GB. I can't really look into hw upgrades. I'd sooner return the laptop and be done with it. My 3 year old G74SX-DH72 16GB RAM GTX 560M 3GB runs Skyrim better, and it shouldn't be that way. Thing is, I'm leaning towards what was said before. It has to be a configuration setting. Has to be.

hmscott wrote:
It also might be that you still have paging turned on, and even though you have enough memory your pagefile is growing dynamically - default setting.


No, I've had pagefile off for several days. Only yesterday I turned it back on. System managed. I'll set it to 8GB if you recommend it.

Northforge wrote:
And SDD. I've tried all my games in various drives

Negative. G751JY-DH73 24GB RAM GTX 980M 4GB. I can't really look into hw upgrades. I'd sooner return the laptop and be done with it. My 3 year old G74SX-DH72 16GB RAM GTX 560M 3GB runs Skyrim better, and it shouldn't be that way. Thing is, I'm leaning towards what was said before. It has to be a configuration setting. Has to be.

No, I've had pagefile off for several days. Only yesterday I turned it back on. System managed. I'll set it to 8GB if you recommend it.


Northforge, with 24GB you don't need a pagefile. If you have software that needs it, 200MB- 800MB should be enough.

I don't understand, from out of the box, with Windows and driver updates - and no other software - you should be seeing smooth local and network (ethernet connected) game play - with the G751 remove the Game First III and Game Center stuff.

What Security / AV software do you have installed?

Are you watching for background processes with Task Manager / Resource Monitor - I find them by leaving it open sorted by top read or write, then drop back into the desktop to see what it caught when I see a glitch. If I see any process I don't want I track it down and uninstall it to see if that was it.

This was just a test, and it shows PerfectDisk as the source of the disk IO.
47411

Are you using Nvidia GeforceExperience optimizations, if Yes, uninstall and do them yourself, or if No, then try them 🙂

Are any games running, locally or network (ethernet connected) ok?

hmscott wrote:
Northforge, with 24GB you don't need a pagefile. If you have software that needs it, 200MB- 800MB should be enough.

I don't understand, from out of the box, with Windows and driver updates - and no other software - you should be seeing smooth local and network (ethernet connected) game play - with the G751 remove the Game First III and Game Center stuff.


Game First III and Game Center removed again yesterday morning. Tested after.

hmscott wrote:
What Security / AV software do you have installed?


First laptop I had avast, and this laptop has not had any installed. MaCafee was removed early on both laptops.

hmscott wrote:
Are you watching for background processes with Task Manager / Resource Monitor - I find them by leaving it open sorted by top read or write, then drop back into the desktop to see what it caught when I see a glitch. If I see any process I don't want I track it down and uninstall it to see if that was it.


I've watched it closely, but lately not so much. I'll remember to keep watching it.

hmscott wrote:
This was just a test, and it shows PerfectDisk as the source of the disk IO.
47411


Perfect disk? I don't believe I have perfect disk.

hmscott wrote:
Are you using Nvidia GeforceExperience optimizations, if Yes, uninstall and do them yourself, or if No, then try them 🙂

Are any games running, locally or network (ethernet connected) ok?


I had set GeForce optimizations at first, but yesterday morning I uninstalled GeForce Experience. Tested, and tested various performance settings (less than my G74SX settings) but still hitching.

Resource Monitor sounds like it could be extremely useful.
I wish I had it.

47412

I kept trying to open it from the performance monitor window. It kept opening a browser with just "config" so I checked the file location and thats the error I get when I click on resmon. When I type resmon in search and hit enter, it opens.

Result 1 (just tabbed out, Skyrim still running. Observed several hitches before tabbing out.)
47414

hmscott
Level 12
Northforge, from PM, Resource Manager shows up in the Task Manager Performance Tab in blue letters at the bottom left side Open Resource Manager:

47413

hmscott wrote:
Northforge, from PM, Resource Manager shows up in the Task Manager Performance Tab in blue letters at the bottom left side Open Resource Manager:

47413


Thank you!

Before staring Aion (started Dragon Nest first, but the servers were down)
47415

Nice and clean.

Here's during Aion login screen (its animated, can still see hitching)
47416