cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 Fan Control and Overheating

ExpatGamer
Level 7
I'd like to consolidate some of the discussion of the G751 cooling issues here, specifically to gather evidence that the fan profile is to conservative. Hopefully, we can get Asus to release a new driver with a more aggressive fan profile or even some kind of fan controls.

Following hmscott's suggestion here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40574-Asus-G750-Fan-control-Software), I tried Notebook Fan Control 1.1.1.19 using the config for the ASUS Zenbook UX32LN.

Making no changes to that config, only setting both fans to run at 100%, I got the fans running consistently at 3300 RPM as reported by AIDA64. Without NFC, the highest sustained fan speed I've seen is 3100 RPM.

Stress Testing with FurMark and Prime95 Small FFT in 20C ambient, I got an avg CPU temp of 82C (peak 84) and avg GPU temp of 64C. Its a HUGE difference from the other FurMark/Prime95 tests I've done and seen on these forums with CPU temps around 90-93C.

Screenshot here:

This test isn't conclusive. Since I haven't played around with the Notebook Fan Control config, I don't know if 3300 RPM really is the max fan speed. From what I can tell, NFC doesn't directly set the RPMs, instead I think it sets power "steps." Anyone with more experience with NFC what to chime in here?

I would be careful with NFC. It is overriding the existing fan controls so the fans will behave differently. So don't be surprised when you're running the ASUS Zenbook UX32LN config and NFC doesn't turn the fan on until the CPU hits 50C. I didn't have any more dangerous issues like the fans suddenly stopping in the middle of a stress test but YMMV, so watch out.

NFC may interfere with the battery/charging system though. After my stress test, Windows started reporting that the battery couldn't charge and then later that there was no battery. At no time were there any extreme temps that could have damaged any components. I think the way that NFC was controlling the fan just somehow interfered with the battery/charging system. I did a system restore, unplugged for 10 minutes and the battery/charging system seems to be working fine now.

To me, these results strong suggest that the disappointing cooling we're seeing in the G751 is the result of a conservative fan profile and that this problem can be fixed with a software update. I put an inquiry in with Asus before Christmas but I haven't got a serious response. Does anyone with more experience dealing with Asus support want to suggest another avenue to pursue with Asus?
45 REPLIES 45

hmscott
Level 12
ExpatGamer, awesome testing, thanks for reporting your results 🙂

Sorry to hear about the battery problem, that is new, it didn't get reported for the G750...

The only thing that keeps me away from NFC, besides not really needing it, is that the NFC auto fan mode doesn't work right, and runs the GPU too hot for the G750JH- like you noticed for the CPU on the G751.

It is because the programmer didn't actually come up with a G750/G751 specific profile, and we are piggy backing on an existing Asus profile for another laptop that happens to work somewhat on the G750/G751.

If you, or someone else, with programming skills wants to download the source and make up specific profiles with a working Auto mode fan profiles, that would be great 🙂

Glad this is helpful. I'm well motivated to figure this out since I'm nearing the end of my retailer's return period.

I was thinking about exchanging my G751 in case I just got a bad paste job but I was on the fence since I don't have any of the manufacturing defects that other people have been reporting. With the results using NFC, I don't think its worth rolling the dice on a new unit. It would be great if Asus support would get back to me and let me know if my temps indicated a pasting defect.

It actually doesn't take any special tech skills to make a new profile. There's a GUI for doing it. At least, setting the fan levels for different temps is straightforward. There are some other settings I don't fully understand yet. And I'm not entirely sure if the CPU and GPU fans are identified correctly. Each fan has "read register" and "write register" number (which are the same), which I assume refer to some registry or memory location. Then there are integer values for min/max fan speed. I'm not sure if those just define the increments by which NFC can raise or lower the fan speed as a proportion of the max speed (ie. 1/8th or 1/10th) or if they represent voltage steps or something else that could limit the top speed if the max is set too low (and possibly even damage the fan, if its set too high).

I'm somewhat concerned about what happened to the battery. I was hoping someone else would be brave enough to try this out to see my battery problem is even reproducible.

Really though, if the fan profile just isn't configured to bring the fan up to top speed to prevent thermal throttling, Asus should just patch it. It should be an easy fix since, unlike the sound problem, there's no 3rd party involved. We're talking about 6-7% increase in fan speed reducing temps by ~10C. Is there an Asus rep that checks this forum?

ExpatGamer wrote:
...Really though, if the fan profile just isn't configured to bring the fan up to top speed to prevent thermal throttling, Asus should just patch it. It should be an easy fix since, unlike the sound problem, there's no 3rd party involved. We're talking about 6-7% increase in fan speed reducing temps by ~10C. Is there an Asus rep that checks this forum?

ExpatGamer, if the tuning tools available in the GUI are enough, then go for it 🙂

At least you will find the limitations that require additional coding, which you can feedback in a request to the author for a G751 profile.

There are support people, and they can help with an existing case to help push it through, but you need to start the process by submitting a Technical Inquiry with your request. A feedback posting might be a good idea too.

https://vip.asus.com

Feedback is communications channel 8 in this list:
http://support.asus.com/contactus.aspx

Please keep us posted 🙂

rmuniak
Level 7
ExpatGamer that's fantastic job from your side. Thanks for the effort and please keep contact with Asus on that - hopefully they will give us some easy to use option to change the fan speed to decrease the temperatures.

NitroX
Level 10
Now this is really good news! Good job Expat! I was also thinking that I may have received a model with a faulty paste job, but testing the laptop in-game with MSI OnScreen Details turned on, I could see that the temps are gradually getting higher over a longer period of time. This meaning that the fans don't actually do their job as intended and the heat keeps accumulating in the case. I was also talking about this with Hmscott and another guy in a different thread :P. For example: After playing for 30mins AC Unity to warm up the components, I left the character in a specific area in which the CPU was kept constantly at 60-70% Total Usage and waited for another 20-30 mins to see the changes.

I would like to try that NFC application but atm I'm testing the undervolting of the CPU. I would really like ASUS to come up with an application that alows us to modify the fans RPM. The increased fan speed + the undervolting of the CPU will make this laptop as cold as it should be :D. +a repaste later if the warranty service offers this kind of option without losing the warranty, and who knows, maybe it will even support some OC :)).

You can see some of the results I've gotten with the Undervoltage method from Hmscott in the Post your reviews/temps etc. thread over here (at page 7 post #68): http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52467-Got-your-new-G751JY-G751JT-G751JM-Post-your-review-te...
The results we're positive and today I will test the system again in a long gaming session of AC Unity (because there I found out how hot this machine can get 😐 ).

Later EDIT: @ExpatGamer: It seems that we've found the answer. The maximum RPM is 4200. The answer came from this poor guy who's fan went mad and now runs at maximum speed all the time: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55600-Asus-G751JY-CPU-Fan-suddenly-running-at-full-speed-al...

ExpatGamer
Level 7
I just exchanged my laptop with the retailer and my temps have improved quite a bit.

Did a FurMark + Prime95 Small FFT stress test and didn't exceed CPU temp of 85C, avg 82-83C. Avg fan speed was 2800 RPM (peak 3000 RPM). Same 20C ambient conditions as before. Since the temps are lower with the fan running slower, I think I had a substandard paste job or some other manufacturing defect causing the high temps.

So if you're throttling (or getting close) on this test, you should consider exchanging/RMAing your machine.

I'm going to keep pursing the fan profile issue with Asus but its slow going. Next week I'll be back at home where the ambient temp is 30C, so we'll see how things shake out then. If the fan simply won't spin faster on the current fan profile, I could still have problematic CPU temps with the higher ambient temperature.

rmuniak
Level 7
ExpatGamer i tried your suggest setting with Notebook FanControl and they work perfectly! This profile keeps temperature of CPU at 80 C, with GPU at around 55! Of course now fans are getting pretty loud, but at least there is a choice - either i want temperatures close to throtthling or louder fans.

Great to see you get better temperatures on the new one. RMA is the last thing i would like to do, i already installed all the stuff, but probably will need to send it anyway for repasting after a year or so...

10 min of extreme test (small fft prime + fumark): with new profile i still get 93 max on CPU- although it is cooler for a 2 degrees average and hwinfo don't indicate any throthling, 71 GPU.

rmuniak wrote:
ExpatGamer i tried your suggest setting with Notebook FanControl and they work perfectly! This profile keeps temperature of CPU at 80 C, with GPU at around 55! Of course now fans are getting pretty loud, but at least there is a choice - either i want temperatures close to throtthling or louder fans.

Great to see you get better temperatures on the new one. RMA is the last thing i would like to do, i already installed all the stuff, but probably will need to send it anyway for repasting after a year or so...

10 min of extreme test (small fft prime + fumark): with new profile i still get 93 max on CPU- although it is cooler for a 2 degrees average and hwinfo don't indicate any throthling, 71 GPU.

Try doing an Undervolt also with Intel XTU

Boom_austin
Level 7
hey all i was also expierencing these issues. what i did was undervoly my cpu and i also downclocked 1x when the processor was using 3 or 4 cores. now my max temp is around 86-89 running furmark and the cpu stress in the intel xtu at the same time.