cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JZ new owner and a little upset

ithanium2
Level 7
Hello,
I just bought a new G750JZ and I am a little disappointed. First of, the Asus Drivers/Download section for this model is incomplete. Where is the webcam driver/utility? Where is the Asus GPU Tweak Tool?

The second issue is more pressing matter since it regards temperatures and fan noise.

The left fan (CPU) ramps up quite often when browsing, and doing light stuff in desktop. That is not normal...not for such an expensive laptop with such a cooling system. My old Asus laptop (some budget T4400 crap) was quieter.

In gaming, the 880M seems to get hot. I only tested in Diablo 3(not quite a demanding game), and it reached 85 degrees C (with a 25mV undervolt).

I will test again today with stock voltages in Battlefield 4 but I have a feeling it will go past 90 and might even throttle. Since replacing the thermal paste on CPU and GPU will void my warranty, and I am not sure if the authorized service in Romania will do this operation free of charge, I might return the laptop (note that I have not contacted them yet).

For comparison look at this guy's temps and acoustics - http://forum.techinferno.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/6553-cold-g750jz-offensive.html I spent this amount of money to get good performance and the best and most silent laptop cooling...so far...not impressed.
31 REPLIES 31

hmscott
Level 12
ithanium2 wrote:
Hello,
I just bought a new G750JZ and I am a little disappointed. First of, the Asus Drivers/Download section for this model is incomplete. Where is the webcam driver/utility? Where is the Asus GPU Tweak Tool?

The second issue is more pressing matter since it regards temperatures and fan noise.

The left fan (CPU) ramps up quite often when browsing, and doing light stuff in desktop. That is not normal...not for such an expensive laptop with such a cooling system. My old Asus laptop (some budget T4400 crap) was quieter.

In gaming, the 880M seems to get hot. I only tested in Diablo 3(not quite a demanding game), and it reached 85 degrees C (with a 25mV undervolt).

I will test again today with stock voltages in Battlefield 4 but I have a feeling it will go past 90 and might even throttle. Since replacing the thermal paste on CPU and GPU will void my warranty, and I am not sure if the authorized service in Romania will do this operation free of charge, I might return the laptop (note that I have not contacted them yet).

For comparison look at this guy's temps and acoustics - http://forum.techinferno.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/6553-cold-g750jz-offensive.html I spent this amount of money to get good performance and the best and most silent laptop cooling...so far...not impressed.

First of all "that guy" is hosted on the Mythlogic website - notice the "membership" charges based on the amount of stuff you buy from them. That is a laptop sales site 🙂

Asus like most vendors aren't going to be the best at updating their download areas once the product is shipping, unless there is a bug or problem that needs patching, or there is a major OS upgrade while they are still selling the laptop.

Learn how to hunt down the newest drivers yourself from the OEM site - and/or if Asus releases a newer product using the same hardware elements you can download updated drivers from the new models download area.

Right now the JM/JS/JZ have the newest G750 drivers, the JW/JX/JH guys go there for their updates 🙂

BIOS's are an exception, Asus has released new BIOS's years after initial sales.

The Asus Tweak Tool for Laptops, what you need, should already be installed on your laptop, and is also available from the Asus Tweak tool for Laptops support page, check out this thread:

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops vs Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45644-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Laptops-vs-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Grap...

What webcam software? I haven't seen an Asus LIfeframe update for a couple of years and it looks like it is a Microsoft driver:

I have used several programs with the webcam, works fine for me.

GPU temps should be fine, CPU temps are up from the last G750 series, but you should be able to run without thermal throttling - if you do start thermal throttling under normal use, gaming, etc then take it back and try another one. Or, RMA to Asus.

Don't panic yet, you should have 14-30 days to return the laptop; take all the time you need to figure out what is going on with the laptop, you would be surprised what a few days of perspective will give you.

Give it a little time, and then decide. Take some time to read through the forums and you might get some insights you don't have now.

Let us know how it goes 🙂

Well things are not so great and I have reasons to suspect that the factory thermal paste was not applied too well.

For starters, It is not normal for the CPU fan to spin up so high during low-resource desktop activities like web browsing, or even writing a forum post. The power plan is set to Balanced btw. Regarding this matter, I did some investigation in the laptop BIOS and I found the thermal behavior. It has 2 (well 3 to be fair) thermal stages:
- Active Trip Point 1: at 55 degrees C and it ramps up the fan to 75%
- Active Trip Point 0: at 71 degrees C and it ramps the fan up to 100%
- Passive Trip Point: past 95 degrees C when the CPU begins throttle

Now, the thermal profile might not be the greatest, but why does an underclocked Haswell CPU (Balanced power plan and light desktop activities) reach 55 degrees?

I also found out that the 880M GPU throttle point is 93 degrees C.

The tests I have done so far:

1. Prime95 (In-place Large FTTs) + Furmark - 86 degrees C on CPU and 93 degrees C on GPU (little throttling here).
2. Wolfenstein: New Order - 80 degrees C on CPU and 83 degrees C on GPU.

ithanium2 wrote:
Well things are not so great and I have reasons to suspect that the factory thermal paste was not applied too well.
For starters, It is not normal for the CPU fan to spin up so high during low-resource desktop activities like web browsing, or even writing a forum post. The power plan is set to Balanced btw. Regarding this matter, I did some investigation in the laptop BIOS and I found the thermal behavior. It has 2 (well 3 to be fair) thermal stages:
- Active Trip Point 1: at 55 degrees C and it ramps up the fan to 75%
- Active Trip Point 0: at 71 degrees C and it ramps the fan up to 100%
- Passive Trip Point: past 95 degrees C when the CPU begins throttle
Now, the thermal profile might not be the greatest, but why does an underclocked Haswell CPU (Balanced power plan and light desktop activities) reach 55 degrees?
I also found out that the 880M GPU throttle point is 93 degrees C.
The tests I have done so far:
1. Prime95 (In-place Large FTTs) + Furmark - 86 degrees C on CPU and 93 degrees C on GPU (little throttling here).
2. Wolfenstein: New Order - 80 degrees C on CPU and 83 degrees C on GPU.

ithanium2, the JH already was a bit touchy on the low end, spinning up the fan at low idle temps, it looks like the JZ has taken that characteristic and added a higher idle temp, which makes the spin-up happen even more often.

The "cure" on the JH is to apply as much negative CPU/cache voltage offset, and that is usually enough, along with running Balanced, to keep the low temp spin-ups infrequent. I only can get -25mV stable on my JH, but my JW would do -125mV, and my JX -75mV - you need to set it and test under load and idle too.

At -125mV I was a full 10c lower under load, and at -25mV I am cool enough at idle to not get many low temp spin-ups.

You load temps look good, a bit higher than I see on the JH, but that is to be expected.

Thanks for the prime95/furmark run, so it looks like using the Intel GPU brings the temp up +7c under load over normal temp - which on a JM/JS would make them stay in the 90c range - the JH and I imagine the JZ should be 10c lower on CPU temps than their respective models (JH => JW/JX, JZ => JM/JS).

So it doesn't take much of a bad paste / thermal bonding on the JM/JS cooling to run too hot and Throttle - but the JZ should have enough of an advantage with the better cooling to stay out of the thermal throttling range.

I don't think yours is too bad ithanium2, but more testing will tell. Maybe run the HWinfo running in the background all the time and see if thermal throttling ever hits during the HWinfo run.

How do you like the new Wolfenstein? 🙂

hey, by any chance, do you know where to upgrade the bluray drive firmware? i cant watch my movies!!! its a MAT****A BD-CMB UJ160. i can only find drivers from places that look kinda shady, if you know what i mean.

HomieOC
Level 7
55 is hot for idle... Mine idle around 40 c. Im currently running off intel gpu in this pic, but my nvidia card idles at 53 c
I Also have the G750JZ

HomieOC wrote:
55 is hot for idle... Mine idle around 40 c. Im currently running off intel gpu in this pic, but my nvidia card idles at 53 c
I Also have the G750JZ

HomieOC, ithanium2 said light usage... what is your idle temp ithanium2?

hmscott
Level 12
Here are the temps from a prime95+furmark simultaneous run on my JH, the CPUID HWmonitor Pro only gave a TRIAL number for GPU temp, so I also clipped the furmark result in to show the max temp of 77c for the 780m

hmscott,
The one of the main reasons I bought the JZ was the better cooling system, compared to JM/JS atleast. Now the 880M, probably runs hotter and I might be ok with the temps, I am not OK with the CPU temps...they seem too high.

My idle CPU temps are 43-44 degrees C but I find them a little irrelevant to this matter.

ithanium2 wrote:
hmscott,
The one of the main reasons I bought the JZ was the better cooling system, compared to JM/JS atleast. Now the 880M, probably runs hotter and I might be ok with the temps, I am not OK with the CPU temps...they seem too high.
My idle CPU temps are 43-44 degrees C but I find them a little irrelevant to this matter.

ithanium2, an idle temp is a good baseline for the other end of the scale. The idle temp will be shown for reviews of heatsinks and CPU"s to show a baseline from which the increase of temperature from loads are measured.

Your idle temp is about 8-10c higher than my JH idle temp at 70F, which is about 35c. And it looks like HomieOC has a lower idle temp on his JZ than you do. This could be due to difference in room (ambient) temperature. Right now my room is 7F-10F higher than normal, so my idle temps are higher.

Your temps are close enough to HomieOC and mine to be not unreasonable.

I have already used Intel Extreme Tuning Utility - XTU to reduce the heat of my CPU by setting a -25mV offset, and I think HomieOC has too, that would explain why his idle temp is lower than yours.

HomieOC, what is your XTU voltage offset cpu/cache?

ithanium2, you might try using XTU to set a voltage offset. I would try -100mV to start, and drop down as needed if it isn't stable - or if it is stable increase in 5mV increments as low as you are stable.

You don't have to do this to have a great running CPU, running without throttling, but it is something you can do to help decrease the running temps at idle and under load.