cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JZ New 207 Bios

HomieOC
Level 7
BIOS 207 (G750JZ)
Add microcode M3240661_0000000F to support HASWELL refresh CPU I7-4860HQ.

Notice:Please check in the BIOS setup for the correct BIOS file name of your Notebook PC. Please refer to FAQ:
BIOS Name of Notebook PC
https://www.asus.com.cn/support/Search-Result-Detail/E2DF6235-08A1-4F4C-A6C1-AD53D00448BC/?keyword=%...

So.... what exactly did it fix in this update? lol.. I Updated to 207.. One thing i noticed is backlight keyboard wasn't working anymore, and i pressed fn + f4 and it seemed to fix the issue.
5 REPLIES 5

hmscott
Level 12
HomieOC wrote:
BIOS 207 (G750JZ)
Add microcode M3240661_0000000F to support HASWELL refresh CPU I7-4860HQ.

Notice:Please check in the BIOS setup for the correct BIOS file name of your Notebook PC. Please refer to FAQ:
BIOS Name of Notebook PC
https://www.asus.com.cn/support/Search-Result-Detail/E2DF6235-08A1-4F4C-A6C1-AD53D00448BC/?keyword=%...

So.... what exactly did it fix in this update? lol.. I Updated to 207.. One thing i noticed is backlight keyboard wasn't working anymore, and i pressed fn + f4 and it seemed to fix the issue.

That's a bit odd, why add microcode to support the i7-4860HQ, a CPU that isn't shipping in the JZ?

I wouldn't update to that, sometimes Asus accidentally posts stuff and then takes it down. In general the rule is, unless the change is for something you need, don't upgrade the BIOS. If you are running ok already, there is no reason to risk bricking your motherboard with a BIOS update that doesn't materially improve your motherboard.

HomieOC
Level 7
maybe you can manually upgrade the CPU in the jz model?

HomieOC wrote:
maybe you can manually upgrade the CPU in the jz model?

HomieOC, not on the G750, the CPU is soldered to the motherboard. It is possible that there are development G750's internally that let you swap CPU's, but we haven't seen them. That is why I am thinking that BIOS wasn't meant for external use - or someone posted the wrong change list.

Or, maybe we are getting another G750 model with the i7-4860HQ. 🙂

hmscott wrote:
HomieOC, not on the G750, the CPU is soldered to the motherboard. It is possible that there are development G750's internally that let you swap CPU's, but we haven't seen them. That is why I am thinking that BIOS wasn't meant for external use - or someone posted the wrong change list.

Or, maybe we are getting another G750 model with the i7-4860HQ. 🙂

probably a new JZ with that processor, because it let me update my bios, and i have 0 issues 🙂 i should be ok right?

is the graphics card swappable ?? Or is it soldered

HomieOC wrote:
probably a new JZ with that processor, because it let me update my bios, and i have 0 issues 🙂 i should be ok right?

is the graphics card swappable ?? Or is it soldered

HomieOC, you might ask Asus why they posted that BIOS version, and ask if you should upgrade to it. You can always revert to the previous version. You are probably ok, but I would ask - even if just to find out what is also updated/changed that prompted Asus to post it for everyone.

The video card is a MXM card, at least in theory it is replaceable, but in reality Asus doesn't provide an upgrade path. The form factor of the card isn't standard, even if the connector is.

Generally newer faster video cards require more power and put out more heat, so even though your JZ has a new Copper heatsink and probably better VRM power distribution - up from the JH - it is unlikely Asus or anyone else will provide an upgrade.

But, you can keep that thought until Asus releases a newer laptop, wait a bit longer for parts to hit ebay, and try it out for yourself 🙂

Be sure and roll video on the upgrade and power up, and post it all here!