cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JZ GTX880M 'optimus' issue!!!!!!

barbagiggia
Level 7
Hi guys,

i bought an Asus G750JZ 2 weeks ago. I have upgraded my OS to win 8.1 x64 and i'm having huge issues with my GPU. I have a GTX 880M 3GB on this laptop + a crap integrated Intel HD 4600, the issue here is that for the majority of the games the nVidia GPU is not used but only the Intel GPU!!!! I have tried the Asus 332.60 drivers from the support website, i have tried the latest 337.88 from the nVidia website, i have tried the compatibility mode launch, i have tried all the settings in the nVidia control panel to make the applications start with the proper GPU but there is no way to make work properly several games.... this is frustrating... you have the best GPU for notebook in the world and your tard laptop is using the integrated one....

Someone else is experiencing the same madness???

Atm only Wow is working and using the proper gpu, others games like Diablo 3, EvE Online and others simply don't use the correct GPU so i get oltrageous fps , like 4-5....

Please someone that have a solution post here!



John.
14,221 Views
24 REPLIES 24

kingkaan
Level 7
barbagiggia wrote:
Hi guys,

i bought an Asus G750JZ 2 weeks ago. I have upgraded my OS to win 8.1 x64 and i'm having huge issues with my GPU. I have a GTX 880M 3GB on this laptop + a crap integrated Intel HD 4600, the issue here is that for the majority of the games the nVidia GPU is not used but only the Intel GPU!!!! I have tried the Asus 332.60 drivers from the support website, i have tried the latest 337.88 from the nVidia website, i have tried the compatibility mode launch, i have tried all the settings in the nVidia control panel to make the applications start with the proper GPU but there is no way to make work properly several games.... this is frustrating... you have the best GPU for notebook in the world and your tard laptop is using the integrated one....

Someone else is experiencing the same madness???

Atm only Wow is woring and using the proper gpu, others games like Diablo 3, EvE Online and others simply don't use the correct GPU so i get oltrageous fps , like 4-5....

Please someone that have a solution post here!



John.



Hey bro,

I have the 870m 6gb in my Sager i hate to say i run into same problems sometime....and those latest nvidia drivers were bad for me have you tried rolling back? they messed up my gpu i had to reinstall windows my temp was all over the place before after reinstalling windows now it doesnt pass 72c in bf4 after hours of gaming...now as far as optimus latest drivers also broke optimus and it was only detecting intel not the 870m..so if i were you i would roll back and try other drivers and see if it works. also you can right click on a game or a program and choose what graphics card you want to run it with..that fixed a lot of problems for me..somehow optimus was overriding my settings in nvidia control panel! hope it works for you bro!

barbagiggia
Level 7
Hey king,

tx for your feedback m8, yes i rolled back 10 times, disabled the HD 4600, even uninstalled the 4600, but nothing at the end same ****. I have also discovered that if i launch WoW (the only one game that is actually working with the GTX880M all the time with the wow.exe 64bit executable) then i close it and i launch after few seconds EvE Online it work also EvE.... unbelievable... i think there is something totaly ****ed up with Optimus and the game think to use properly the nVidia card but in reality it doesn't or maybe it use the Intel crap gpu. I have ofc tried to right click and launch specifically the game with the preferred gpu, nothing.... i have no words... they release ultra expensive hardwares with no fking reliability in the software management at all what a bunch of incompetents.... no idea if we have to blame MS or NVidia but seriously this is ridiculous!

BIOHAZARD9519
Level 7
Another alternative is to keep nvidia shadowplay running in the background, it forces the dedicated GPU to stay on no matter what scenario.

ithanium2
Level 7
Diablo 3 has issues with Optimus, it's a long known problem but both Nvidia and Blizzard say that the issue is not from their side.
There is a fix in the battle.net forums to download Nvidia Inspector and manually set the profile on the driver.

Also, I heard that there might(remember...just MIGHT, so don't get your hopes up) be a way to disable optimus, but I cannot test it because my laptop is still in service.

ithanium2 wrote:
Diablo 3 has issues with Optimus, it's a long known problem but both Nvidia and Blizzard say that the issue is not from their side.
There is a fix in the battle.net forums to download Nvidia Inspector and manually set the profile on the driver.

Also, I heard that there might(remember...just MIGHT, so don't get your hopes up) be a way to disable optimus, but I cannot test it because my laptop is still in service.


Hopefully man...We all would be very pleased if there is a way to disable crappy intel hd card.

HomieOC
Level 7
ive been noticing while i play watch dogs.. and i just noticed.. the temps. When im playing sometimes it will get laggy out of nowhere and i noticed my gpu temp dropped from 73 to 68 within a second... and it got laggy then got unlaggy and jumped back to 73 c... My only guess is optimus,

HomieOC wrote:
ive been noticing while i play watch dogs.. and i just noticed.. the temps. When im playing sometimes it will get laggy out of nowhere and i noticed my gpu temp dropped from 73 to 68 within a second... and it got laggy then got unlaggy and jumped back to 73 c... My only guess is optimus,


HomieOC, hard to say, Optimus sets up the link and keeps going after that, if your Nvidia GPU is downclocking it is all on the Nvidia side - but it might be just a lag - and the load momentarily goes down on the GPU - so it cools off, and then jumps back up again when the load returns.

Do you notice your IO light - Disk light - on the front of the laptop goes bright while the lag hits? It could be loading something from the disk and that is causing the hiccup. Same for the network IO, is there a brief jump in network traffic?

hmscott wrote:
HomieOC, hard to say, Optimus sets up the link and keeps going after that, if your Nvidia GPU is downclocking it is all on the Nvidia side - but it might be just a lag - and the load momentarily goes down on the GPU - so it cools off, and then jumps back up again when the load returns.

Do you notice your IO light - Disk light - on the front of the laptop goes bright while the lag hits? It could be loading something from the disk and that is causing the hiccup. Same for the network IO, is there a brief jump in network traffic?


I think your right.. its the SSD... i have game installed on the SSD

HomieOC wrote:
I think your right.. its the SSD... i have game installed on the SSD


Also disable "turn off HDD". I used to have similar problems on other computers before and this fixed a good portion of them.

go to power options -> high performance -> change plan settings -> change advanced power settings -> hard disk -> turn off hard disk after -> set it to "never" (both for "on battery" and "plugged-in"