cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JZ-DS71 on the way!

GottiBoi55
Level 10
G750JZ-DS71 on the way!

I just ordered this bad boy from Newegg.com yesterday.

LINK>>>ASUS ROG G750 Series G750JZ-DS71 Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz) 24GB Memory...

Any suggestions on how to set the MONSTER up would be very much appreciated!

1. System recovery image backup. (Best confirmed working image backup)
2. Remove all bloatware (I think I can figure this one out. (but any suggestions would be very much appreciated)
3. Auto brightness issue (Any solution for this issue?)
If you fellow ROR'ers have any other suggestions, I would really appreciate any input you guys can give.

Plus I have a copy of Windows 8 PRO on a UEFI USB stick with a legit activation key, can I upgrade to Windows 8.1 PRO with just my activation key?

Thanks
GottiBoi55
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"
15 REPLIES 15

gazzacbr
Level 10
1,2 and 3 - just clean install your 8 pro in a new partition on your ssd.
forget the original asus windows.
upgrade to 8.1 online and all will be fine as it was a freebee.

p.s. not sure your avatar is suitable for this forum, oh, wait a minute, my bad, thats a sword handle he is holding 😉
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
GottiBoi55 wrote:

Didn't notice ASUS Backtracker listed under the ASUS G750JZ downloads, but suggest giving it a try to back-up the factory partition to USB as discussed in the thread below just in case you want it later.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40548-Backing-up-your-ASUS-factory-Win8-Recovery-Partition&...

Also, there should be a copy of the driver disk under your C: drive under the 'eSupport' folder which will have older drivers than the website, but may also contain some software that is not available on the download site (like Blu-ray software for your Blu-ray unit?), so you may want to copy this folder at least if you don't create the back-up with ASUS Backtracker.

Hope you enjoy your new system!

Clintlgm
Level 14
I think you can upgrade your 8.1 to 8.1 Pro, I activated my 8.1 pro using my 8 pro upgrade Key that was a clean install though.
Congrats on the new beast hope you get a good one.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Thanks guys for your input.

@ gazzacbr - Thanks, and LOL on the avatar!

@ cl-Albert - I will try Asus Backtracker for the recover image backup, or Macrium Reflect.

@ ClintIgm - I ordered this from "newegg.com", and they have a really good standard return/exchange policy. (30days)
So I'm not too worried about a defective NB (or good one, as you stated), I will just return for exchange if any problems pops up!

GottiBoi55
Asus
Samsung
SanDisk
p Aquos 32"

Kelusion
Level 7
GottiBoi55 wrote:
G750JZ-DS71 on the way!

I just ordered this bad boy from Newegg.com yesterday.

LINK>>>ASUS ROG G750 Series G750JZ-DS71 Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz) 24GB Memory...

Any suggestions on how to set the MONSTER up would be very much appreciated!

2. Remove all bloatware (I think I can figure this one out. (but any suggestions would be very much appreciated)
3. Auto brightness issue (Any solution for this issue?)
If you fellow ROR'ers have any other suggestions, I would really appreciate any input you guys can give.

Plus I have a copy of Windows 8 PRO on a UEFI USB stick with a legit activation key, can I upgrade to Windows 8.1 PRO with just my activation key?

Thanks
GottiBoi55

GottiBoi55, A great order indeed, I am pretty sure you won't be disappointed and hope you get the right unit without any manufacturing defect or any other errors which is a .01% chance anyway.

Since that's out of the way coming back to on topic now :), As a proud owner of JZ myself and having no problems with Optimus in it at all (although I wished they didn't had it), I have to tell you, that this beast out of the box is a real beast itself. Some things to try when you just setup and get this out of the box,

1- Uninstall Splendid from Asus that makes the screen color awkward and really yellowish/grayish dull
2- Make sure your subwoofer level in Audio Settings (Levels is 50 or 75, I normally keep it at 50)
3- The GPU Tweaking of this new 880M will not allow you to super max the GPU like the old GPU Tweak for laptops, but the auto is just brilliant itself, that you won't need a need to do it anyway, well that's with my case, throw anything at it and it runs it at a breeze on super MAX settings and yes I have tried even triple the settings the Nvidia Optimize does and got all FPS great 🙂
4- Make sure you download and update your drivers from Asus Support Page (link below for you)
5- Nvidia GFX Driver update to 340.52 works flawlessly with this beast hence no problems at all downloading from them itself and not Asus
6- ShadowPlay works flawless with this ( Geforce Version 2.1.1.1), and you'll love it 😄
7- Keep the OS on 8.1 and run updates a couple of times to get to the recent point
8- Download Temp Monitors and keep your temps monitored from frequent intervals from time to time using CPUID HWMonitor (link below - 90+ is a no no for sure)
9- Make sure you stress test/run benchmarks (using Furmark etc) when you get it so you can avoid any problems with it and exchange in case required 🙂 although am sure there won't be a need to exchange
10 - Try not to find problems in the laptop and use it 🙂 the more you use it the more you'll love it, take me for example sold my desktop and my other laptop and haven't looked back after using it perfectly and flawlessly for more then a month now and until I did all of this, I didn't sell any of those 🙂
11- 12+ hours on AC does not damage your battery hence do not remove the battery while you use it on AC, I use it constantly at 12-17 hrs a day on AC and while traveling on battery as well as a normal laptop and no problems whatsoever
12- You can use this as a normal laptop on battery without AC (browsing games/internet/office/editing etc), however I won't recommend playing games on battery as with games/apps who require 880M GFX card, you'll definitely need AC power to put on maximum power/run the fans to cool down those mega engines (CPU and GPU) 🙂 to it when you use such games/apps and don't think it can produce the same power on battery as it does with AC 🙂
13- Run Asus BackTracker to keep a flash backup (using 16 GB flash stick) of it Out of the Box settings to ensure if something fails, you can always revert back

And finally, welcome to the Asus ROG Family :), hope you love it and enjoy your stay here on the forums as well, most things are already answered and discussed in these forums themselves, make a search and definitely let us know how the experience turns out for you 🙂 am sure you'll love it! and come back to ask for more if you like 😄

Latest Audio Drivers here (Version 6.0.1.7283),
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Audio&os=30

Latest Asus GPU Tweak here (Version v1.0.9),
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+GPU+Tweak+for+Laptops&hashedid=n%2fa

Latest Asus JZ Support Drivers,
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=521&m=G750Jz&os=&hashedid=yql3Rpr80XDgQJbl

CPUID HWMonitor (for temps monitoring/hardware info etc),
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Where to find latest Asus Rog G750/751 drivers?

Please use search in the forums, there might be alot of threads which have similar answers to what you are looking for!

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Thanks my friend for all your input.
I will remove all the bloatware like I did with my G75VW, Splendid, Asus live update, and all the other bloatware.
I will definitely run a burn in test, to check for problems, if I find any problems I will RMA for exchange.(NewEgg.com has a great return/exchage policy)
This is my forth G series, and I been pretty lucky, never had to RMA any of them! (hoping the same for the JZ)
Well you seem really pleased with your JZ, I did lots of research before I made my purchase.
So I guess I will be just as pleased as you my friend.

PS: I like HWiNFO64 for system monitoring, you ever use it?

Thanks for all the links.
😄
GottiBoi55
Asus
Samsung
SanDisk
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:
Thanks my friend for all your input.
I will remove all the bloatware like I did with my G75VW, Splendid, Asus live update, and all the other bloatware.
I will definitely run a burn in test, to check for problems, if I find any problems I will RMA for exchange.(NewEgg.com has a great return/exchage policy)
This is my forth G series, and I been pretty lucky, never had to RMA any of them! (hoping the same for the JZ)
Well you seem really pleased with your JZ, I did lots of research before I made my purchase.
So I guess I will be just as pleased as you my friend.

PS: I like HWiNFO64 for system monitoring, you ever use it?

Thanks for all the links.
😄

GottiBoi55, yes I have HWinFO64 for System Info, but for System Temps I like to keep the CPUID HWMonitor on one monitor open where I keep all of my other monitoring stuff as well to have a view of temps while doing anything else on other monitors and laptop screen 🙂 - exactly same I did a lot of research before JZ (had fingers crossed when ordered) and was actually going with a JS version, but later found JZ( top end one having 4710HQ processor as well) in my budget so just went with it and its been perfect so far without any problems.

Am sure you'll find similar experience :D! Hope for the best and definitely you'll love it! Good-luck friend :)!
Where to find latest Asus Rog G750/751 drivers?

Please use search in the forums, there might be alot of threads which have similar answers to what you are looking for!

Kelusion wrote:
GottiBoi55, yes I have HWinFO64 for System Info, but for System Temps I like to keep the CPUID HWMonitor on one monitor open where I keep all of my other monitoring stuff as well to have a view of temps while doing anything else on other monitors and laptop screen 🙂 - exactly same I did a lot of research before JZ (had fingers crossed when ordered) and was actually going with a JS version, but later found JZ( top end one having 4710HQ processor as well) in my budget so just went with it and its been perfect so far without any problems.

Am sure you'll find similar experience :D! Hope for the best and definitely you'll love it! Good-luck friend :)!

Yes, I will have my JZ tomorrow, and I can't wait!
I just checked the UPS tracker, and it's slated for deliver for tomorrow.

I learned with all my G series NBs, never do anything STUPID with the NB till you are well informed!
The key is research, research, and more research before you try any mods, OCs, or upgrades to the NB.
Then most important, make a system image backup right from the get go. (with Asus Backtracker in this case)
I have had awesome experiences with all my G series NBs, and I expect the same for the JZ

Thanks again my friend, God bless!
GottiBoi55
Asus
Samsung
SanDisk
p Aquos 32"