cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JZ Controller Card / Compatible NVME Disks

Megatronpt
Level 8
Heya!

I have an oldie (But a beast) G750JZ, that is mostly used for content creation.. today, as backups were running(Oh the Irony), Windows BSODed and it rebooted into BIOS... troubleshooting after troubleshooting results are:

- RAID is in Fail status
- Sometimes both disks appear in CSM, although in the majority of the times, only one of the disks appears.
- Removing 1 disks and leaving 1 in, shows the disk, but in fail status.

I know that it is very rare for two disks to fail at the exact same moment(never say never), so I am suspecting the Controller card for the NVMEs... but just in case, I might as well upgrade the NVMEs after sorting the issue.

Anyone has ideas on specs / brands / where to get one?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
AFAIK there is no validation list for NVME drives. Basically anything should work but you do get what you pay for in the sense that cheap drives have cheap controllers and cheap NAND. Generally Samsung drives are considered some of the best but Intel drives should be pretty reliable as well.

But before you do that, you might consider removing from the array and completely wiping both drives. It's possible that just having a broken array is causing the weirdness you are seeing. If things come back online you can recreate the array. Going forward I'd recommend RAID1 for your system array just incase one of the two drives is starting to generate errors. You don't want to be in the position of losing and rebuilding your array multiple times because of a failing drive.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Megatronpt
Level 8
Yeah. RAID1 would've been better in this case.. but, as we have a Storage here at home (that unfortunately doesn't have all the data as backups only run once every 2 weeks on this laptop), 0 was chosen to maximaze space when dealing with video / etc.

Linux can see the RAID drives.. Windows can't.. but Linux also can't seem to be able to mount them.

I am now indeed inclined to a broken RAID...

Thanks for the input!

Megatronpt
Level 8
After loads of recovery attempts, I found out that both drives are fried.

Now I am trying to find replacement drives, but getting different answers from different shops.

Asus could really have a compatibility list.. because without this I can't even find out what is the max drive size permitted.

Anyone has information on this?

xeromist
Typically the size ranges listed on product pages seem to be either what has been tested or it may actually refer to the highest capacity that is offered from the factory. I haven't seen a practical limit on storage sizes in modern systems.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Megatronpt
Level 8
Yeah.. I am having no luck in finding the M.2 SATA SSD disks.

I could get 1x128GB.. but that's pointless

Megatronpt
Level 8
So... after lots of digging around and only finding a pair of Asus disks (at 500€ + VAT per disk).. I am wondering on where to go from here.

Taking suggestions!
Drive bay:

Dead Disk #2:

Asus support has been lacking, to say the least. The only thing they gave me was the part number / etc.