cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JZ - Boot Failure

KazariK
Level 7
Hey all..

So I have an issue with my new G750JZ laptop..
A few weeks ago I ran into this problem but thought it was just doing an update but now I believe this is a REAL ISSUE and havent seen any other posts on this (maybe I am just not searching correctly).

The model I have came with the 500 gig ssd and 750 hd.
During boot up from a shut down, the laptop FAILS to reboot.. I get the harddrive light and Wifi light flashing back and forth. I am suspecting something has gone bad with the SSD. It DOES reboot ONCE in a blue moon and I had it running for a few days and I came home yesterday, my FIRST day I have had time to sit down and talk to Tech support and as I sat down at the laptop it flashed up a notice that it was about to reboot in 5 seconds for an update and then well.. You get the idea.. It hasnt restarted since.. I completely turn it off and tried to reboot, nothing, took out battery, powered down for a day, same thing.. I have some tech experience so I have some ideas on what to do, but this has me stumped..

Is this an issue with these models? Or just something with mine?

Kaz
42 REPLIES 42

KazariK wrote:
Goomba

How do I figure out which one I need..
Is this something I can see by opening the bottom panel?
The website says look at the motherboard or the screen (cant look at screen, it doesnt boot lol)..
Just trying to figure out how I determine which bios I need.

hmscott - I havent had a lot of chance to log in, my laptop is/was my only real source of computer at home.. I do have an ipad now so Im able to do some stuff.. But thankfully for work I was able to get in and see this today..
I havent really taken a look at what you posted, but will do so tonight.. HOPING to try this bios thing tonight!!! if that worked Id be SOOOOO HAPPY!

After doing some research, the G750JHA BIOS appears to be for the G750JH models with RAID, and the G750JH BIOS appears to be for the models without RAID. I would use the G750JH BIOS because according to the specs of your laptop, it appears to not have RAID. So I would download the G750JH BIOS revision 206 for flashing purposes.

goomba2352 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I had the same issue with my G750jh-db71 (where the computer would only boot up only once in a while, with the same flashing lights as shown in the Youtube video linked by Kaz). This morning, the computer completely failed to boot after many attempts. I am happy to say that I found a solution that actually works without requiring booting into windows. It turned out after manually flashing the BIOS using a built in failsafe, the computer always boots correctly now. I would like to credit the author of the thread below:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38669-G750JW-Blank-Screen-after-BIOS-changes-SOLVED

What I did to solve the problem:
- Format a flash drive (I used a 4 GB) to FAT
- Place the latest appropriate BIOS from Asus's support site onto the flash drive (Make sure to differentiate between G750JH and G750JHA). In my case, I needed the G750JHA bios.
- Rename the file appropriately (e.g. G750JH.bin, G750JHA.bin)
- Place the flash drive into the defunct computer
- Hold down CTRL+HOME, and then press the power button while continuing to hold down the keys
- Follow the on-screen instructions
- Reboot, and wait ~20 seconds, and it works

Hopefully anyone else with this problem can try this before they send off their computers.

goomba2352, that's great, thanks for the detailed steps 🙂

KazariK hasn't logged in since his last Post, but you might PM him with your steps just in case he has "Receive Email Notification of new Private Messages" enabled.

Ok, really stupid question..

When I downloaded the bios it came in a zip file. When I extracted the zip I got a folder and a file. Do I rename the file or the folder?
The file I got was G750JHA-AS.204
Do I change that to G750JHA-AS.BIN ?

goomba2352 wrote:

- Rename the file appropriately (e.g. G750JH.bin, G750JHA.bin)

KazariK wrote:
Ok, really stupid question..

When I downloaded the bios it came in a zip file. When I extracted the zip I got a folder and a file. Do I rename the file or the folder?
The file I got was G750JHA-AS.204
Do I change that to G750JHA-AS.BIN ?

You rename the file and place it on the root of the drive. When I flashed the BIOS earlier this morning, I was unsure of the file name, so I made multiple copies of the file with different names, and placed them on the root of the flash drive. I used G750JHA-AS.bin, G750JHA.bin, and G750JH.bin. One of them had to have worked. I would recommend using the 206 revision, since your laptop does not appear to have RAID.

Ahhh good catch! woops! thank you goomba!!!

Ok, downloaded the 206 version, have unpacked it and renamed it into 4 different files.
G750JH.bin
G750JHAS.bin
G750JHA.bin
G750JHA-AS.bin

Hope one of those works to get my baby back up and running! omg would I be happy!

goomba2352 wrote:
You rename the file and place it on the root of the drive. When I flashed the BIOS earlier this morning, I was unsure of the file name, so I made multiple copies of the file with different names, and placed them on the root of the flash drive. I used G750JHA-AS.bin, G750JHA.bin, and G750JH.bin. One of them had to have worked. I would recommend using the 206 revision, since your laptop does not appear to have RAID.

KazariK
Level 7
A quick question to the mods, can I edit the title of this thread slightly to reflect the correct laptop?

KazariK
Level 7
bump - Would love to solve this before sending it in..
If I dont get anywhere I will be sending it as of Thursday..

KazariK
Level 7
Oh if someone knows of a really easy method of determining the bios let me know.. I could have my daughter take pictures of the underside of the laptop and send them to me at work so that I can download the driver here..

KazariK wrote:
Oh if someone knows of a really easy method of determining the bios let me know.. I could have my daughter take pictures of the underside of the laptop and send them to me at work so that I can download the driver here..

KazariK, unfortunately the outside of the laptop doesn't say if it is a JHA or a JH, and neither does the box / labels on the box.

Usually I recommend using CPU-Z and the motherboard tab to see which you have, or go into the BIOS at power up by hitting F2 repeatedly as soon as you press the Power on button, like immediately after.

If you can get into the BIOS, you can also try a "set defaults" and then F10 save and restart, that also clears BIOS config corruption, which is likely what reloading the BIOS did for Goomba.

KazariK
Level 7
Well guys..

I just wanted to give you an update..
As I sit and type this from my G750JH!!! BOOYAAH!!

Thank you guys! that did it!!! HELLS YES!

To Asus reps, you need to create a manual / sticky for this problem.. Easy fix for a issue that is very tricky (even to my network guys at my government office)..

Again, THANK YOU GUYS! Honestly, you have no idea how happy I am to have it back up and running!!!

Quick question..
Anyone know how I adjust the title to reflect solved?

Kaz