G750JX VS G750JM (770m vs 860m)

WinterMisha
Level 7
79 REPLIES 79

hmscott
Level 12
WinterMisha wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFKVIs8EUjU&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the awesome video WinterMisha, it was very well done for a phone camera video 🙂

When you first started, my first thought was, hey that Left laptop doesn't have any light bleed! The one on the Right had a little. Then you got close and viewed from the side on the Left laptop, and I could then see some light bleed. It seems the JX you have has less bleed than the JM straight on!

I like dark screens too, and the way I get around it is to use the NASA Night Launch Theme for Firefox:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=547498

I use a normal colorful background, dark green forest usually. And, I set dark themes for everything else I use too. I hate the bright screen in a dark room. Using a colorful background kills the edge lit bleed for me, I don't notice it at all. And, the dark themes, without going with a completely black desktop works best overall for me.

The speed/performance of the laptops, and heat, might be due to system settings, and the environment.

Do you have both laptops set to a Power Plan that sets the CPU utilization to Low/High of 0%/100%, or are those settings at least identical? If the JM is set to High Performance plan and JX is set to Balanced that would give the JM the performance edge, and generate more heat. Both laptops need to have the same CPU utilization curve to match for testing.

It looks like both laptops are up against a wall, both close enough to reflect back the vented heat from the back of each laptop. After a while they can generate a hot area from which the laptops are drawing in their waste heat, keeping the temperature up. Also the JX has it's CPU vent port angled to the wall away from the laptop, and the JM has the CPU vent closer to the wall and reflecting back into the laptop.

I thought the 860m was going to do worse than the 770m, so if you can check the Power plan CPU settings and get them to match if they aren't, and please let us know how they compare then - if not matching now.

I ran BF4 BETA on the JX, and got 50-80fps frame rates, here are my BF4 settings from that time.

Thanks again for the cool Video 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Thanks for the awesome video WinterMisha, it was very well done for a phone camera video 🙂

When you first started, my first thought was, hey that Left laptop doesn't have any light bleed! The one on the Right had a little. Then you got close and viewed from the side on the Left laptop, and I could then see some light bleed. It seems the JX you have has less bleed than the JM straight on!

I like dark screens too, and the way I get around it is to use the NASA Night Launch Theme for Firefox:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=547498

I use a normal colorful background, dark green forest usually. And, I set dark themes for everything else I use too. I hate the bright screen in a dark room. Using a colorful background kills the edge lit bleed for me, I don't notice it at all. And, the dark themes, without going with a completely black desktop works best overall for me.

The speed/performance of the laptops, and heat, might be due to system settings, and the environment.

Do you have both laptops set to a Power Plan that sets the CPU utilization to Low/High of 0%/100%, or are those settings at least identical? If the JM is set to High Performance plan and JX is set to Balanced that would give the JM the performance edge, and generate more heat. Both laptops need to have the same CPU utilization curve to match for testing.

It looks like both laptops are up against a wall, both close enough to reflect back the vented heat from the back of each laptop. After a while they can generate a hot area from which the laptops are drawing in their waste heat, keeping the temperature up. Also the JX has it's CPU vent port angled to the wall away from the laptop, and the JM has the CPU vent closer to the wall and reflecting back into the laptop.

I thought the 860m was going to do worse than the 770m, so if you can check the Power plan CPU settings and get them to match if they aren't, and please let us know how they compare then - if not matching now.

I ran BF4 BETA on the JX, and got 50-80fps frame rates, here are my BF4 settings from that time.

Thanks again for the cool Video 🙂

Hello
I Play on a kitchen table yesterday where is no wall and its the same thing...Maybe will make video about it to show u...
Both Laptops running on 100% Power4Gear High Performance...
With out ANTIALIASING DEFFERRED and ANTIALIASING POST on MEDIUM i have exactly the same FPS
Thank you

WinterMisha wrote:
Hello
I Play on a kitchen table yesterday where is no wall and its the same thing...Maybe will make video about it to show u...
Both Laptops running on 100% Power4Gear High Performance...
With out ANTIALIASING DEFFERRED and ANTIALIASING POST on MEDIUM i have exactly the same FPS
Thank you

You don't need to use the Power4Gear High Performance Power plan, or even the Windows High Performance Power plan for everyday use, just for benchmarking. Keeping the CPU at 100% all the time generates a lot of heat, and causes the CPU fan to spin up and down all the time even on light use.

Try using the Windows Balanced Power Plan. And, set the CPU utilization/speed to 0%/100%. For the most part the performance will be the same on demand, but at idle and under lower loads the temperatures will drop quite a bit, and the fan won't run as often - and the fan won't spin up for light use.

FYI, I uninstall the Power4Gear software because it keeps setting the Power Plan back to the Power4Gear plan when I tried to set it to another plan.

Switching to battery causes Power 4 Gear to switch to Power 4 Gear Power Saving mode which locks the CPU speed low too.

I found both the Windows Balanced and Windows High Performance plans did the same as the Power4Gear plans - but I could set / force the plan to stay where I wanted it with the Power4Geat uninstalled

Did you match the settings on the left column too? Resolution Scale at 100% ? I also tried AntiAliasingDeferred 4MSAA and AntiAliasingPost OFF

Are you using the Geforce experience settings? And, for the Nvidia Control Panel 3D settings the Program settings for BF4, or did you change them?

You should have better frame rates on both laptops...

I also had the CPU settings increased with Intel XTU giving a 36x 35x 34x 34x cores multiplier, and a 36x cache multiplier, that helps a bit. The Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics cards set the 770m to 932/5250, which boosts the graphics performance.

hmscott wrote:
You don't need to use the Power4Gear High Performance Power plan, or even the Windows High Performance Power plan for everyday use, just for benchmarking. Keeping the CPU at 100% all the time generates a lot of heat, and causes the CPU fan to spin up and down all the time even on light use.

Try using the Windows Balanced Power Plan. And, set the CPU utilization/speed to 0%/100%. For the most part the performance will be the same on demand, but at idle and under lower loads the temperatures will drop quite a bit, and the fan won't run as often - and the fan won't spin up for light use.

FYI, I uninstall the Power4Gear software because it keeps setting the Power Plan back to the Power4Gear plan when I tried to set it to another plan.

Switching to battery causes Power 4 Gear to switch to Power 4 Gear Power Saving mode which locks the CPU speed low too.

I found both the Windows Balanced and Windows High Performance plans did the same as the Power4Gear plans - but I could set / force the plan to stay where I wanted it with the Power4Geat uninstalled

Did you match the settings on the left column too? Resolution Scale at 100% ? I also tried AntiAliasingDeferred 4MSAA and AntiAliasingPost OFF

Are you using the Geforce experience settings? And, for the Nvidia Control Panel 3D settings the Program settings for BF4, or did you change them?

You should have better frame rates on both laptops...

I also had the CPU settings increased with Intel XTU giving a 36x 35x 34x 34x cores multiplier, and a 36x cache multiplier, that helps a bit. The Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics cards set the 770m to 932/5250, which boosts the graphics performance.

Its not 100% all the time... Min is 5% on any plan and max is 100% i don't like to use any extra programs to boost my laptop.
That review were on Stock settings and programs.
Laptop overheating no matter what i do... Delete powergear plan or keep on Balanced with min 0 max 100.
Anyways laptop reach 85-86c everytime i play a game for like 1-3 min... no matter on what settings or power plan i chose..
Is there any program to check if everything working properly?
thanks

WinterMisha wrote:
Its not 100% all the time... Min is 5% on any plan and max is 100% i don't like to use any extra programs to boost my laptop.
That review were on Stock settings and programs.
Laptop overheating no matter what i do... Delete powergear plan or keep on Balanced with min 0 max 100.
Anyways laptop reach 85-86c everytime i play a game for like 1-3 min... no matter on what settings or power plan i chose..
Is there any program to check if everything working properly?
thanks

Games are hard to measure if they are performing correctly, lots of variation. Best to use a benchmark while running a monitoring tool to keep an eye on the temps, and utilization.

There is nothing wrong with using Asus GPU Tweak tool for Graphics cards, the other variation Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops is included/installed on the new G750JS/JM/JZ, so Asus thinks it is ok 🙂

Intel XTU lets systems with adequate cooling, like our G750's with awesome cooling systems, utilize all the performance Intel shipped - but couldn't enable - with the Haswell CPU because most stock cooling isn't up to the task. XTU enables the extra Multiplier shipped with the CPU. It is a nice boost, but not truly an Overclock, it is a Multiplier Restore 🙂

They are both safe, and give you a nice boost in performance.

Even better is the under-volting you can do with XTU, which reduces the voltage fed to the CPU, as it turns out the voltage curve applied to the CPU is a bit too generous for most samples of the CPU. I have seen variation of -125mV to -20mV work, the larger the drop the larger the temperature reduction. It is worth it to tune it.

Those temps for the JX are fine, as it would be for the JW. I am unfamilar with what is typical for the new series, but it doesn't sound bad.

The CPU is safe to run in the mid 90c range, the CPU will heat throttle as it approaches 100C, so the CPU will be safe.

The JH runs a bit cooler, in the mid 70c range, but that is because the cooling system is larger, otherwise it would be the same as the JX/JW - the CPU heat generation is the same across all the G750's

If you want to run a benchmark with monitoring, XTU does that, along side HWinfo64 for more details, here is a sample comparison between stock settings, and OC + -60mV under volt.

hmscott wrote:
Games are hard to measure if they are performing correctly, lots of variation. Best to use a benchmark while running a monitoring tool to keep an eye on the temps, and utilization.

There is nothing wrong with using Asus GPU Tweak tool for Graphics cards, the other variation Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops is included/installed on the new G750JS/JM/JZ, so Asus thinks it is ok 🙂

Intel XTU lets systems with adequate cooling, like our G750's with awesome cooling systems, utilize all the performance Intel shipped - but couldn't enable - with the Haswell CPU because most stock cooling isn't up to the task. XTU enables the extra Multiplier shipped with the CPU. It is a nice boost, but not truly an Overclock, it is a Multiplier Restore 🙂

They are both safe, and give you a nice boost in performance.

Even better is the under-volting you can do with XTU, which reduces the voltage fed to the CPU, as it turns out the voltage curve applied to the CPU is a bit too generous for most samples of the CPU. I have seen variation of -125mV to -20mV work, the larger the drop the larger the temperature reduction. It is worth it to tune it.

Those temps for the JX are fine, as it would be for the JW. I am unfamilar with what is typical for the new series, but it doesn't sound bad.

The CPU is safe to run in the mid 90c range, the CPU will heat throttle as it approaches 100C, so the CPU will be safe.

The JH runs a bit cooler, in the mid 70c range, but that is because the cooling system is larger, otherwise it would be the same as the JX/JW - the CPU heat generation is the same across all the G750's

If you want to run a benchmark with monitoring, XTU does that, along side HWinfo64 for more details, here is a sample comparison between stock settings, and OC + -60mV under volt.

Hello.
As i said before i don't like to use any extra programs..I like everything on Stock and from what i can see as owner of both laptops that older version of 750 is cooler then newer one ....
Anyways i tried that intel ETU and after - 120 voltage my laptop shut down after 3-5 min.. - 20 Does not change anything so i uninstall it..
JX no matter what i play stay cool and max temps are 77C when JM reaches 87C...
Try to understand that i had 2x JW,3x JX and 1x JM so i go trough 6 750s and every time there is some problem with it...
All i want is just to unbox my Laptop and enjoy it and not spend 3 month on Forums and go trough 6 laptops and still have problems...
I would like to see some screens of JM from other owners please ..
And remember video that i make were STOCK VS STOCK no extra programs....
Thank you

WinterMisha wrote:
Hello.
As i said before i don't like to use any extra programs..I like everything on Stock and from what i can see as owner of both laptops that older version of 750 is cooler then newer one ....
Anyways i tried that intel ETU and after - 120 voltage my laptop shut down after 3-5 min.. - 20 Does not change anything so i uninstall it..
JX no matter what i play stay cool and max temps are 77C when JM reaches 87C...
Try to understand that i had 2x JW,3x JX and 1x JM so i go trough 6 750s and every time there is some problem with it...
All i want is just to unbox my Laptop and enjoy it and not spend 3 month on Forums and go trough 6 laptops and still have problems...
I would like to see some screens of JM from other owners please ..
And remember video that i make were STOCK VS STOCK no extra programs....
Thank you

WinterMisha, sorry, I didn't realize you didn't want to spend time optimizing your laptop(s) to get better performance.

So the answer is, both laptops are working like they are supposed to out of the box. There is nothing wrong with them, please enjoy them as is. 🙂

If you change your mind, we are here to help you, let us know when you are ready 🙂

hmscott wrote:
WinterMisha, sorry, I didn't realize you didn't want to spend time optimizing your laptop(s) to get better performance.

So the answer is, both laptops are working like they are supposed to out of the box. There is nothing wrong with them, please enjoy them as is. 🙂

If you change your mind, we are here to help you, let us know when you are ready 🙂

Right but they telling us that new g750 suppose to be cooler than older g750,i am just a little bit confused.
Thank you

WinterMisha wrote:
Right but they telling us that new g750 suppose to be cooler than older g750,i am just a little bit confused.
Thank you

For the G750JW/JX Asus set the cooling curve high, tripping the fan's on when the CPU gets kinda hot, in the 80c range, and doesn't really kick in till the 90c range. The CPU can run hot, has it's own temperature / thermal throttling, so Asus keeps the laptop quieter by letting the CPU gain some heat before spinning the fans to cool it off.

The G750JH runs the CPU cooler, keeping the average temperature about 10c cooler than the JW/JX. It might be due to the larger capacity cooling, but it might be a decision to keep heat out of the laptop due to the 780m contributing a larger BTU load than the 765m/770m.

Checking the article on the new Copper infused heatsink, it looks like Asus only refers to the GPU cooling system getting the Copper infusing, and don't mention anything about the CPU cooling. The CPU cooling system is independent of the GPU cooling system, and might not be Cooper Infused / improved.

"It’s more than just a GPU swap-out though, as the cooling hardware has been upgraded with copper infused cooling gear (as below) giving it more heat capacity to overclock via the new ‘ASUS TurboMaster’ technology."
http://rog.asus.com/307502014/g-series-gaming-laptops/new-g750jz-g750jm-and-g750js-gaming-laptops-la...

Your JX is runnning cooler than the JM, but it might be due to the cooling curve of the JM, waiting till even later than the JW/JX to kick in the fans to run even quieter. Do you notice if the CPU fan on the JX runs faster/sooner than the JM?

The JS/JM/JZ are all new, so we can't expect them to have the same cooling curves as the previous generation, or even the same cooling curves as each other. Like the JW/JX are the same, but the JH is different.

It would be nice to get confirmation from another JM, which would be easier if you would run a standard benchmark like the XTU stress test + HWinfo64 and take a snapshot of the run just a few seconds before it ends like my images in a previous post above. Or, pick another test / monitoring tool output that we can duplicate easily to compare effectively.