cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JW Upgraded to Win8.1Pro and now BOTH my audio jacks function as Mics

CatStoleTheCrow
Level 7
Same as subject really. G750JW model. I installed an SSD and installed Windows 8.1 Pro, and ever since both of my Audio Jacks, when plugging in headphones, pops up that I plugged in a Microphone.

When I plug something into BOTH slots it almost acts like a toggle, as if I had unplugged a Microphone. (Plug one in, thinks Mic was plugged in, plug another in and thinks the mic was taken out?)

I DO NOT have the latest Audio drivers at the moment (I wanted the MAXXAudio stuff to work) but even when I did have the latest it still didn't work.

Any ideas?

PS) In the Realtek Audio Wizard it does show under the "Analog" input that there is a Mic and Headphone Jack, but again, no matter which one I technically plug it into it highlights the Mic Jack. AND if it matter, the Digital Audio Jack is always highlighted. I wasn't aware that this laptop had a Digital Audio output, though under the first - supposed headphone jack - I do see the S/PDIF lettering. Could something with that dual-functioning jack be causing this issue?
4 REPLIES 4

Clintlgm
Level 14
Sounds like a driver problem. I would do a complete uninstall and go back to the latest audio driver on the Asus support Download Sometimes it helps to reboot Twice after the uninstall then reinstall
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

CatStoleTheCrow
Level 7
Alright, I uninstalled the older version drivers I had. I also deleted the Realtek Folder in the program files, and used Driver Fusion to completely remove any left over drivers (there weren't any) Rebooted twice just as you suggested. Then I installed the newest drivers available (Version 6.0.1.7164) Rebooted twice, just because. Plugged in my headphones aaaaand... same problem. Here are some pics.

CatStoleTheCrown wrote:
Alright, I uninstalled the older version drivers I had. I also deleted the Realtek Folder in the program files, and used Driver Fusion to completely remove any left over drivers (there weren't any) Rebooted twice just as you suggested. Then I installed the newest drivers available (Version 6.0.1.7164) Rebooted twice, just because. Plugged in my headphones aaaaand... same problem. Here are some pics.

Try installing the lastest driver again without removing the older driver, it wll ask u to remove the old driver and do it, if same problem is there then plug the headphone in mic jack then remove it and plug in headphone then see if the problem is still there or not, if not then recover the windows and see if the problem is still there or not, if its in windows 8 then talk to customer care and if the problem is solved then go or windows 8.1 again

CatStoleTheCrow
Level 7
Sorry but I absolutely refuse to go back to Windows 8 and then back to 8.1 I really don't think that'll solve anything. I did go into my registry and saw that 2 pins were set to be microphones, so I changed one of them to headphones, and VISUALLY it appeared to work. I plugged in my headphones and the RealTek Audio Manager believed I had plugged in headphones, however no sound came out of them =/ and when I plugged another set of Headphones into the microphone slot, it showed up that I had "unplugged" the previous set when I hadn't... so its still acting like a toggle, I believe my PC thinks that the Mic and Headphone Jack are the same pin. =/

I am right now downloading drivers off of RealTek's official website, just to see what happens, though I suppose I will be missing out on MAXXAUDIO. I'll let you know the results.

Sorry for refusing to go back to 8 just to see if it works, but I think that's too much of a hassle and unnecessary.

-----
EDIT:
After installing the official drivers off of RealTek's site, it still didn't do anything, but surprisingly did have MaxxAudio... then I noticed the driver version was actually "older" compared to the one on Asus' website...

This problem is really frustrating me. Not sure how it can think the Mic and Headphone jack are the same input. I am considering trying a tutorial on getting Windows 7 on my laptop, not just to fix this problem, but because Windows 7 is nice, haha, but idk.