cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JW Output issue on Samsung TV, only duplicate working?

Hitchy
Level 7
Hello friends,

Today I tried connecting my G750JW on a Samsung TV 26' via HDMI cable. But before exposing my problem i would like to precise that i'm used to connecting my previous laptops (HP's with ATI GPU) to my TV with the same cable i'm using now without issue.

So my problem is that when I try to set the TV as the only projector (using fn+F8) i ve got the black screen on TV. The only option i got working is setting the fn+F8 on DUPLICATE to have both Laptop screen and TV screen working : which is bad since i would like to use only the TV to play games and Watch movies.

I would like to add that when on DUPLICATE mode i can select the right resolution using the laptop screen until i find the ones that work with my TV (since i can see them) but when i switch to single projector (my TV) since the screen is black i cannot choose which resolution to set (and I think on projector mode the default res is 1920x 1080p which is not supported by my tv)

From the DUPLICATE mode i learnt that my TV only supports 1080i résolutions and not 1080p (i don' know what s the difference?)

Can u help please?
20 REPLIES 20

Hitchy wrote:
So no way to manually change the resolution while in black screen?

Hitchy, go into the Nvidia Control panel to set the resolution, and control multiple monitors. Once you have the settings you need, then you can use the Function keys to switch between them.

Click on the output device icon, and change the settings.

As an advanced setting, you can adjust the desktop coverage on the TV, sometimes over/underscan gets in the way of a centered / sized correctly desktop

And, you can set your own very detailed custom settings for exact matching specs of the output device

And control color settings

And, of course the Global 3d settings, and Program Specific settings

The performance settings I use, for example

I know that was more than you were looking for, I just wanted to point out there is lots of cool things to do in the Nvidia Control panel, for non-Optimus laptops, the JW/JX/JH for example. 🙂

Have fun!

Hitchy
Level 7
Thank you Hmscott i will test the custom resolution solution.

But what i don't understand is that i went looking for my TV detailed specs on internet and surprisingly it should be compatible with 1080p reslutions check thoses specs here SAMSUNG-LE26C450

normally it should work automatically... 😞

Hitchy wrote:
Thank you Hmscott i will test the custom resolution solution.

But what i don't understand is that i went looking for my TV detailed specs on internet and surprisingly it should be compatible with 1080p reslutions check thoses specs here SAMSUNG-LE26C450

normally it should work automatically... 😞

Why would you think you need a custom resolution then? That won't help, unless there is a spec outside the standard 1080p settings.

Ignore the Fn keys, and focus on setting the display and display resolution using the Nvidia control panel settings first.

I can't help you right now, beyond this, so you are going to need to experiment and resolve it yourself. Perhaps someone else can help?

Hitchy
Level 7
thank you hmscott. The nvidia panel indeed helped and now i was able to choose the right resolution and disable the laptop screen and keep only the TV on (using the setup multiple screens option).

Now i ve got one last little problem : i've got sparckling (green) dots and artefacts all across the TV screen... do u think it s a cable issue or comes for a too high resolution that my GPU cannot handle?

does it happen to you on some résolutions?

Hitchy wrote:
thank you hmscott. The nvidia panel indeed helped and now i was able to choose the right resolution and disable the laptop screen and keep only the TV on (using the setup multiple screens option).
Now i ve got one last little problem : i've got sparckling (green) dots and artefacts all across the TV screen... do u think it s a cable issue or comes for a too high resolution that my GPU cannot handle?
does it happen to you on some résolutions?

Hitchy, you are just having all kinds of fun with this TV 🙂

It is a symptom of a signal problem. Whether it is a problem with the TV alignment / settings, or the cable, I can't tell.

The GPU shouldn't have any problems driving an external HDMI TV at 1080p, mine worked fine.

What is the model of Samsung TV? It's possible you are trying to force a 720p TV to run at 1080p 🙂

In the Nvidia Contol panel resolutions, there should be PC and TV sections, in the TV section try 720p, it that works, try 1080i - it might work, but likely you will be better off at 720p - if that is the max supported bandwidth.

FalconFX
Level 7
Those artifacts might also have something to do with the output you are using (port HDMI or VGA or Displayport)

Hitchy
Level 7
What I have noticed is that when i move the HDMI cable those artefacts seem to diminish but also increase in certain situations. So i'm pretty sure it comes from the cable (aged of more than 6 years now).

i'll go buy a new one tomorrow and keep u posted.

Any advice on what kind of cable / what should I look for?

Hitchy wrote:
What I have noticed is that when i move the HDMI cable those artefacts seem to diminish but also increase in certain situations. So i'm pretty sure it comes from the cable (aged of more than 6 years now).

i'll go buy a new one tomorrow and keep u posted.

Any advice on what kind of cable / what should I look for?

Where are you located? US, or?

Also, it might be a dirty cable/TV connector, sometimes if they sit around with the ends open, dust - dirt - and humid air can make a film on the contacts. Get some contact cleaner, or freeze mist and blow out the ends - and the TV input connector.

hmscott wrote:
Where are you located? US, or?

Also, it might be a dirty cable/TV connector, sometimes if they sit around with the ends open, dust - dirt - and humid air can make a film on the contacts. Get some contact cleaner, or freeze mist and blow out the ends - and the TV input connector.

I'm from Morocco (north africa) :).

Ok will do that!

Qlix0804
Level 7
just a note: I have a JW as well, and my TV is 120hz LED, I have had this issue since day 1. The tv and laptop were bought within a week of each other. Ive pretty much resorted to the "close the lid" solution