cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JW adding a SSD

Ovelha
Level 7
Hello, i just bought my G750JW and it does not come with a SSD, so i bought one haha
now i really don't know what to do. do i need a driver? how can i put my windows 8 there?
Thank you for your time! 😄
70 REPLIES 70

eldi_el wrote:
Hey,

Thank you for your answer and advices. I thought to keep hdd as a mass storage. So you say that it is hot even when it is idle. Thats bad.

So cloning process should be done by asus backtracker or samsung Ssd has clone software, that would be enough?

Additionally, I think I SHOULDNT DELETE anything from Hdd since it will cause some problem about warranty if I send my computer to Asus service?

Besf Regards

eldi_el, yes to all 🙂

hmscott wrote:
eldi_el, yes to all 🙂

So, if I keep original files at HDD and if I use it as a mass storage, then the computer will ask me ALWAYS select your windows at the beginning of the computer??? Somehow to avoid that if I keep it as a mass storage?

If I put second SSD at secondary disk place, may I do RAID 0 via bios? I have G750JZ.

Hiya guys... I've ordered a G750JM today and it will arrive next week. :D:D:D

I've also ordered a Samsung 500GB EVO 840 SSD for it.

The laptop comes stock with a 1TB spindle hard drive ("HDD").

This is the setup I would like:

1. SSD contains operating system and game files
2. HDD contains data/documents/recovery info/other stuff

I would like to minimise screwing stuff in given that I don't do this often and I don't want to break my shiny new laptop.

Will the plan below work?

1. Install new SSD to the empty slot; and
2. Set this drive as the Primary in the BIOS (is this possible); and
3. Keep the recovery partition on the existing HDD; and
4. Restore from the recovery partition to the new SSD, creating a new boot drive.

To me it seems a lot of extra effort to change the drives around - what has been the motivation for doing this? I assume I'm missing something...

Thanking you all in advance!

cronik916 wrote:
i have a 750JW as well and i did the same, bought a samsung 840 pro 256gb and did exactly as cosmicmango suggests. worked fine. make sure u put your ssd in the other hard drive slot first and boot up and format it / make sure its in guid format. then just shutdown and take out HDD and plug the ssd in its place after u made the asusbacktracker cd image. leave the HDD out and boot up with usb in and ssd in primary slot. cheers

what software did you use? is it partition wizard? do I really need to connect my ssd first? btw my SSD is Samsung 840 evo

Nillaz
Level 7
Do as previously suggested w/ asus backtracker and you will be fine.

To be a little more concise follow these steps.

1. Use Asus backtracker to back up the system to a flash drive (16GB minimum). Power off system when finished and remove battery.

2. Open the bottom cover on your laptop and swap out the mechanical HD for your SSD (i.e. use the same bay). Put battery back in and power on with your flash drive inserted.

3. Once backtracker has finished restoring your system you can reinsert your mechanical HD to your other HD bay if you want to use it for mass storage. Once again power off your system and remove battery first before doing so. The necessary mounting screws for your hard drive should have been in a little bag taped to the cardboard inside the box your laptop came in. Reassemble your system.

4. Not sure if this is mandatory on all systems but I had to boot to BIOS before I could get Windows to recognize that the mechanical HD was installed to the secondary HD bay.

5. Enjoy your SSD! I have the same SSD that Cronik does and I have to agree with him that this laptop with a decent SSD absolutely SCREAMS. Most applications open instantly and all run buttery smooth. The longest it takes for me to load any program is 8 seconds (After Effects, which previously took between 30 - 45 seconds), and I am not kidding in the slightest when I say that this laptop now goes from completely powered down to a working windows desktop in about six and a half seconds on Windows 8 (with Start8 installed and booting straight to the classic desktop).

Good luck!

Please let me know what exactly will be saved in the 16gb Flash memory during the Asus Backtracker back up process?
My question is?
16 gb is sufficient to make this back up or should I use o bigger memory Flash ?

Meirelesdiver wrote:
Please let me know what exactly will be saved in the 16gb Flash memory during the Asus Backtracker back up process?
My question is?
16 gb is sufficient to make this back up or should I use o bigger memory Flash ?

Meirelesdiver, Asus Backtracker puts about 12.5GB onto the 16GB partition, I 7-zip the eSupport folder onto it, almost filling it up.

I used a 32GB flash drive once, and Asus Backtracker only made a 20GB partition - ignoring the rest of the space, and also only put 12.5GB on that flash drive partition. Seemed like a waste of a 32GB flash drive, so I used a 16GB instead.

Here is what it looks like:

Nillaz wrote:
Do as previously suggested w/ asus backtracker and you will be fine.

To be a little more concise follow these steps.

1. Use Asus backtracker to back up the system to a flash drive (16GB minimum). Power off system when finished and remove battery.

2. Open the bottom cover on your laptop and swap out the mechanical HD for your SSD (i.e. use the same bay). Put battery back in and power on with your flash drive inserted.

3. Once backtracker has finished restoring your system you can reinsert your mechanical HD to your other HD bay if you want to use it for mass storage. Once again power off your system and remove battery first before doing so. The necessary mounting screws for your hard drive should have been in a little bag taped to the cardboard inside the box your laptop came in. Reassemble your system.

4. Not sure if this is mandatory on all systems but I had to boot to BIOS before I could get Windows to recognize that the mechanical HD was installed to the secondary HD bay.

5. Enjoy your SSD! I have the same SSD that Cronik does and I have to agree with him that this laptop with a decent SSD absolutely SCREAMS. Most applications open instantly and all run buttery smooth. The longest it takes for me to load any program is 8 seconds (After Effects, which previously took between 30 - 45 seconds), and I am not kidding in the slightest when I say that this laptop now goes from completely powered down to a working windows desktop in about six and a half seconds on Windows 8 (with Start8 installed and booting straight to the classic desktop).

Good luck!

Hey Nillaz thank you very much for the info. One quick question though. Using backtracker will also copy the recovery partition and everything correxct?

oVrKiLL
Level 7
Im a new ROG owner and member to this forum and have to say that the support from the community is awesome!. I picked up a SSD last sat for my JW and did a clean windows install (left my recovery partition and UEFI partition just in case). Thanks everyone for being who you are!!!!

I have a Toshiba SSD that I want to add to my ASUS G750 JW and I did as posted, downloaded the Asus back up program and made a USB recovery drive, but since I have never done this before I am wondering if I can get more notes on the process and any Bios changes I may need to do, I have never made any Bios changes before so this is all new to me... and if this process does not work can I simply replace the HDD and boot back to what I was using before? Guys from Best Buy have made the process much more complicated than the posts here so I am just trying to get the facts before I do anything (do not want to mess up a new laptop). Thx very much for any help God bless and Happy 2014!