cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JM Processor Overheating

boyandhisdogs
Level 7
I have a G750JM that I got around 2013-2014. Everything has been great so far other than it overheating. It started doing it a couple years ago and over time got worse and worse to the point where I now can't reliably play any games without it overheating and shutting itself off. Yesterday I couldn't even get past the character creation in (vanilla) Morrowind without it overheating. It seems to run just as hot on old games as it does on new games. Some really big ones like Ark I can't even get through loading before it overheats sometimes.

All of these are CPU temps. The other hardware is totally fine no matter what I'm doing.

I idle around 50-55c, thats with nothing open and 0-1 % load. I've watched task manager and nothing of note is running in the background.
Web browsing is 60c-65c
Gaming is all over the place. Sometimes it stays in the 70s, sometimes it's over 90c in a matter of minutes and unplayable.

I've reinstalled windows a few times since it started doing this and it has no effect, I've gone crazy checking all my drivers over and over again. I really doubt that its a software issue at this point. The laptop is hooked up to a monitor and peripherals so it stays closed. It's on a shelf on a wood desk and when it gets warm (or when I think it will soon) I turn it upside down (air intakes facing up) and point the exhaust vents away from the wall and into the room. This helps but it really only delays the inevitable. I've even gotten desperate and set up a fan blowing across it... again, helps but doesn't solve it.

Any ideas? I've read a lot of threads but more often than not they go unresolved. I hear a lot of people say to reapply the thermal paste, but I'd like to know what else i might try.
3 REPLIES 3

Clintlgm
Level 14
boyandhisdogs wrote:
I have a G750JM that I got around 2013-2014. Everything has been great so far other than it overheating. It started doing it a couple years ago and over time got worse and worse to the point where I now can't reliably play any games without it overheating and shutting itself off. Yesterday I couldn't even get past the character creation in (vanilla) Morrowind without it overheating. It seems to run just as hot on old games as it does on new games. Some really big ones like Ark I can't even get through loading before it overheats sometimes.

All of these are CPU temps. The other hardware is totally fine no matter what I'm doing.

I idle around 50-55c, thats with nothing open and 0-1 % load. I've watched task manager and nothing of note is running in the background.
Web browsing is 60c-65c
Gaming is all over the place. Sometimes it stays in the 70s, sometimes it's over 90c in a matter of minutes and unplayable.

I've reinstalled windows a few times since it started doing this and it has no effect, I've gone crazy checking all my drivers over and over again. I really doubt that its a software issue at this point. The laptop is hooked up to a monitor and peripherals so it stays closed. It's on a shelf on a wood desk and when it gets warm (or when I think it will soon) I turn it upside down (air intakes facing up) and point the exhaust vents away from the wall and into the room. This helps but it really only delays the inevitable. I've even gotten desperate and set up a fan blowing across it... again, helps but doesn't solve it.

Any ideas? I've read a lot of threads but more often than not they go unresolved. I hear a lot of people say to reapply the thermal paste, but I'd like to know what else i might try.

Sounds like its about time to repaste your CPU and GPU, you'll find Videos on YouTube or have a professional do it for you.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Sounds like its about time to repaste your CPU and GPU, you'll find Videos on YouTube or have a professional do it for you.

That did it! Earlier today I took it apart and redid the paste on the CPU and GPU since I was in there. It was pretty dry. The heat sync fins were PACKED with dust so I blew them clean with computer duster while I had them out. Blew the fans and the rest of the case clean too since I was in there.

Now my temps (C) are:

Idle: mid 40s
Web browsing: high 40s
Morrowind: ~50c (same part that I was overheating at earlier)
Doom 2016: 60c while walking around, ~65c in big battles

The paste I used was Noctua NT-H1, it says no burn in needed but we'll see how it goes. I'm really happy with it!

If anyone finds this on google in the future...

I watched a disassembly video on YouTube and the guy's G750 had an additional problem... There is tape over the joint where the fan body meets the cooling fins, to make sure no air escapes the gap. The guy in the video had too much tape on his (from the factory) and it was blocking about half of either set of fins. That alone would have caused overheating issues, so be sure to check that as well if you decide to take your computer apart.

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Obviously you clean the dust out of your laptop, but if you really want to be sure you get it all you need to put a paper clip in the fan(s) and use a leaf blower. That will do it so you are sure that is not the problem. You should also adjust your in game settings. These are the two things that worked for me when I had similar problems. There could also be a driver or related software issue at the heart of the problem. Good luck.

Oh, something else. You can also get a laptop cooler pad--I have a couple, and another "strap on" gizmo that draws air out of your laptop. You attach it to the side of your machine.

Have you tried these?

Here are a couple examples--you'd need to check the size, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=laptop+cooler+17.3+inch&crid=2KWC08K35944P&sprefix=laptop+cooler%2Caps%2C...

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Gaming-Performance-Action-Silent-External-Extractor/dp/B07LF71GHT/ref=...