cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JH-DB71 Who has replaced the M.2 drives with larger drives?

hmscott
Level 12
Hi, I am thinking about picking up a G750JH-DB71 and I noticed that someone said that the drives used for the boot RAID 128GB+128GB SSD are proprietary and not replaceable with standard mSATA SSD's. Is this true? Has anyone replaced the original SSD drives with larger drives?

Update: It turns out that the SSD drives in the JH are special interfaces, not mSATA. The closest name I can find that differentiates them is "M.2 NGFF SATA" or "M.2 SATA".

At one point it looked like A110 or X110 might be the unique name, but that is a more generic name for SanDisk SSD's, and includes 2.5" drives.

Recently I tried to purchase the 256GB version of the M.2 SSD, but no luck. And, with all the confusion about the form factor, the retail components place called and ordered what they thought was the right component and were shipped 2.5" 256GB SanDisk drives, I don't feel comfortable ordering off of Ebay - there are some listings that look correct.

The M.2 is longer and narrower than the mSATA boards, and the M.2 has a distinctively different socket/fingers layout.

Here is the original page + a photo of the M.2 NGFF on the left, and typical mSATA boards on the right:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6575/hands-on-with-plextors-ngff-ssds

Wikipedia entry for M.2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2
82 REPLIES 82

kb0sdq
Level 10
Okay quick update. Finally got it all working for the most part. I got the two new m.2 drives in and working. Only issue now is when using the software that came with the 850 pro when booting I get a pop up saying that Samsung magician is having issue communicating with some parts of the ssd. when I go into the magician program it says that the ssd should be configured in ahci and not in raid or ide it is currently in raid it says in the bios. that is default I never put that one in raid just the two m.2 drives are in raid 0. so if I go into the bios and change the 850 to ahci but not in raid or ide then will I have t reinstall all the software I have put on the new drive? I have almost one tb on it now seems to be working okay.
Sorry to be needing so much help with this all new to me So thanks to all the folks that help others.
Happy ROG_n
Doug

kb0sdq
Level 10
Sweet Just ran the realbench and went from a 61k score and now 88943 woot

Image Editing:
Video Encoding:
OpenCL:
Heavy Multi-tasking:
Score:

Happy ROG_n
Doug

Good Morning . I have a G750JH and am looking to also replacing the M.2 SSD's and was wondering is anybody has looked into the Samsung 860 EVO .
SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 2280 500GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-N6E500BW . I saw this on newegg
i want to make sure it s correct before i go threw and replace them .