cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750 JX Video Card upgrade 770m to 880m

tjwhite
Level 7
Hello all , I was just wondering if anyone has successfully upgraded a video card in one of these. I have a 770m . I rececenly bought a 880m and a the correct headsink for it. It all fit in the case fine but the laptop would not power up. would that be a bios thing? or a power thing ? or both. I have combed the web for info to no avail. I just assume that if its possible someone would have done it and may they could share the secret . I reverted back to the 770 for now . In fact i am posting this on the laptop . So the machine still works . I dont want to keep pulling this thing apart unless I got a chance of actually pulling this off.

Looking forward to hopefully hearing a success story
3 REPLIES 3

navis995
Level 11
I don't think it will work. The only way to make it work is to also buy G750JZ motherboard because the part of information for correctly recognising the GPU is on the motherboard. A new G750JZ MB is about 150€
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

navis995 wrote:
I don't think it will work. The only way to make it work is to also buy G750JZ motherboard because the part of information for correctly recognising the GPU is on the motherboard. A new G750JZ MB is about 150€

I have thought of doing that but i hear that board is a bit different in shape and the bottom cases are slightly different ?

tjwhite
Level 7
What I have learned from this attempt to maximize My old JX. Is this. there is very limited information out there about tinkering with laptops. This can be very expensive unfortunately.
And you run the risk of messing something else up opening your laptop up . Anyway from what i can tell Dont mess with attempting to mess with a 7xxM to a 8xxm . From what i can tell the JS and JZ are the 2 boards that allow you to use the 8xxM series. video cards. There is a rev 2.1 MB and that appears to be the older version. I Think ( not 100%) the 2.0 boards are the newer MB's . If you are hellbent on seeking a 800 series video card if you dont have a JS or a JZ MB you will need to change the MB out i believe to accomplish this. I am not the the authority on this by any means feel free to correct anything I stated that is not true . My tinkering and ignorance has got me owning a 880m ,870m and a heat riser for both of them . I knew i was running this risk and it didnt work out . Lesson learned . Be carefull before you think of jumping down this rabbit hole. I am sure there are more incompatibility issues i dont know about.