cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750 JS - CPU Overheating, What Thermal Solution ?

CME64
Level 7
Hi

I bought this laptop (G750js-DS71) not more than a month ago, and I noticed that the temperature spikes a lot in no time.
I tested a light 3d scene rendering (using all 8 threads at 100% load) and the temperature spiked to around 96 Celsius in less than 10 seconds
That is too dangerous for the CPU, knowing that the Tj max is 100C. The thermal solution is supposed to keep the temperature below the Tj max at all times even when it is running on 100% load especially since the laptop is brand new and aging/heat shouldn't have affected the grease yet.

I started questioning the thermal solution in terms of:

1- Thermal Compound:
The thermal compound that comes installed doesn't seem to be conductive enough ..

2- Fan speed:
could be the problem if they're not fast enough to change speed, but even on max speed the temp was above 90C at 100% load

Questions:
What are the detailed specs of the stock thermal compound ?
Could the compound break even when the laptop is still new ?
Anyone else got the same problem on 100% CPU load ? and what did you try so far ?

additional info:
- I'm not using any tweak tools nor overclocked the gpu/cpu
- The fans are running on auto speed (not fixed)
- on idle state the minimum temp is around 38C
- on gaming state, reaches around 80C

Regards,
CME64
59 REPLIES 59

Darnassus
Status Under Review
What is your ambient tempurature? Have you overclocked your CPU? Might be a good idea. Makes it run cooler! ;3

What game you playing?

What bench tool you using to put CPU under 100 load? I will replicate and tell you my own score.

Highest history of CPU temp for me is 79*C and GPU 84*C

Idle sounds good, mine is usually 45-50. As of this post 46. Net browsing only.

Thermal GOOO sounds it's just some cheapie from Coolermaster maybe. The G750 series uses cheap parts in it other than the mandatory GPU, CPU.

CME64
Level 7
Thank you for replying,

Ambient temp: below 28c
As I mentioned I didn't overclock the CPU nor GPU
What games hmm, lots of them, but the highest temp reached was with "Watchdogs"
I didn't use benchmarks, I was rendering a teapot on a plane with plain default materials using 3ds Max's default render engine,
I could limit the threads used by the process to use 1 thread for each core to spread the temp but still, I'll be running on 50% load which is unacceptable
My idle temp is almost the same, but I posted the best record of current 2 days log
I tried Coolermaster's products before (on other laptops) and they were great. I don't think they're using it
I would have paid extra for a better compound to be installed like arctic silver 5 or something, but unfortunately that is not an option as they claim to install a high end compound on ROG series. And I don't intend to void the warranty by installing a new one, at least not too soon ;).

Will you try rendering a teapot with 3ds max ? 😛

Regards,
CME64

sasuke256
Level 7
undervolt the cpu -50mv and enjoy -5°C 🙂
Laptop : ASUS G750JW : i7 4700HQ - 16Gb - 2Tb HDD - GTX 765M OC (+135/500) - Full HD Matte - Win 8.1
Retiered : Toshiba L670 i5 560M/8Gb Corsair/1TB/HD5650 1Gb @ 625/800 /WD 1Tb USB3/Win7

I've had 3 Jm's and 2 Js's. All of which easily got to high 80-low 90c. And while rendering get up to 100c and thermally throttle. If you undervolt the cpu, it helps a little. But my JS now, undervolted, during games (in general titanfall borderlands bf4 ect) my cpu temps are still 85c. I guess this is just the new temps with optimus chips. THe last versions had the igpu part of the die cut off, and asus listening to customers who wanted better battery and optimus, then made that the enw way with these last g750's. Higher heat, trade off for 4-5.5 hours of battery, vs the 2.5-3 on last gens fully gpu machines.

Tradeoff I'm willing to make I guess.

But your temps are yes high, from what ive seen 5 times personally, your temps are average. Laptop is fine 100% up to 100c, then itll throttle.

sasuke256 wrote:
undervolt the cpu -50mv and enjoy -5°C 🙂

how did you do this?

CME64
Level 7
Thank you all for replying,

As far as I know, undervolting electronic components reduces it's performance and could potentially be damaged by that ( when it requires more voltage than it gets)
also this may void the warranty (when the CPU dies) which I could have voided by replacing the thermal grease in the first place, back to square one
I may have that as my before-last resort

Seems that everybody is getting to dangerous heat levels with this series!
I wonder what the architecture designers were thinking when they built it like this ! and yet bragging about it's ultimate cooling solution !
at least if they failed to keep the heat lower than tj max by at least 20% at 100%, why not research a solution to the problem !?
btw the heat will increase over the years (as the grease deteriorates) and that's why I'm concerned since the laptop is still brand new and it reaches dangerous temp levels

Darnassus
Status Under Review
CME64 wrote:

As far as I know, undervolting electronic components reduces it's performance and could potentially be damaged by that ( when it requires more voltage than it gets)
also this may void the warranty (when the CPU dies) which I could have voided by replacing the thermal grease in the first place, back to square one
I may have that as my before-last resort

Seems that everybody is getting to dangerous heat levels with this series!
I wonder what the architecture designers were thinking when they built it like this ! and yet bragging about it's ultimate cooling solution !
at least if they failed to keep the heat lower than tj max by at least 20% at 100%, why not research a solution to the problem !?
btw the heat will increase over the years (as the grease deteriorates) and that's why I'm concerned since the laptop is still brand new and it reaches dangerous temp levels

What video driver you on? The latest being 337.88 boosts FPS and performance of Watch Dogs by 75%. I couldn't play that game on my JX at low, now I am playing on ultra setting.

Undervolting the CPU doesn't damage it, check out a guide around here, I think it's much better for it.. less voltage, less heat.. longer life. ;x

Overclocking the GPU is a different story.

Do you have your laptop on a bed? solid surface?

The laptop draws 30-40% air from the bottom of the unit, with the 60% through the tweeters ( speakers ) located underneath / behind the screen joint.

If your keyboard gets dusty and you are brushing it off, then chances are the majority of the airflow is constricted by dust build up. You can easily clean the speaker mesh by removing the very back piece of the laptop by removing.. I believe around 7 screws. The piece then snaps off, but be careful not to break the speaker wire.

P.S. the myth that this laptop draws air through the keyboard is busted.

CME64 wrote:

CME64, undervolting won't hurt the hardware, and won't invalidate your warranty, it will however reduce operating temperatures for parts that function just as well with less voltage than the stock applied voltage.

Many people have under-volted their Haswell G750's and are running lower temps. It seems to help out the Optimus G750's even more than the non-Optimus G750's because the JM/JS/JZ are running so hot and close to the limits that even a small decrease in temp can avoid thermal throttling, so your JS will benefit.

Try -25mV to start, for Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset and Cache Voltage Offset, and if that is stable - keep increasing on up to -125mV until it becomes unstable, then come back a bit to get the lowest voltage / heat output and remain stable.

If you crash, it doesn't hurt the computer, and while tuning don't do any installs / uninstalls or valuable work that would be lost if you crash - until you have dialed in the right offset - you can always save your offset tuning in an XTU Profile and back down to the most stable Profile while you do real work, and then return to the tuning later.

Take your time, and enjoy yourself, and it will be rewarding in the long run. 🙂

hmscott wrote:
CME64, undervolting won't hurt the hardware, and won't invalidate your warranty, it will however reduce operating temperatures for parts that function just as well with less voltage than the stock applied voltage.

Many people have under-volted their Haswell G750's and are running lower temps. It seems to help out the Optimus G750's even more than the non-Optimus G750's because the JM/JS/JZ are running so hot and close to the limits that even a small decrease in temp can avoid thermal throttling, so your JS will benefit.

Try -25mV to start, for Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset and Cache Voltage Offset, and if that is stable - keep increasing on up to -125mV until it becomes unstable, then come back a bit to get the lowest voltage / heat output and remain stable.

If you crash, it doesn't hurt the computer, and while tuning don't do any installs / uninstalls or valuable work that would be lost if you crash - until you have dialed in the right offset - you can always save your offset tuning in an XTU Profile and back down to the most stable Profile while you do real work, and then return to the tuning later.

Take your time, and enjoy yourself, and it will be rewarding in the long run. 🙂

I can back this up. Undervolting will definitely not damage the hardware. The only side effect would be if you were to crank up the frequency with insufficient voltage, the OS might crash/lock up. Over volting in excess can definitely damage equipment though.
ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 4770K @ 4.7GHz / 16GB G.Skill TridentX 2666MHz/ SLI ASUS GTX 760
ASUS G750JX-RB71 / 4700HQ @ 3.6GHz / 16GB G.Skill Ripjawz 2133MHz / ASUS GTX 770M
ASUS Z790-Plus Wifi D4 / 13700KF @ 5.5GHz / 32GB Kingston Fury DDR4 4600 / Nvidia RTX T600