cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750 JH Audio Issues

themeonster
Level 7
I have had this issue on my G750 JH for quite a while now across multiple audio drivers. What happens is that I start playing music or whatever and set the volume. Then I pause the audio or it and when I start it again the volume is about 50%+ higher than it was. So I go hit fn+f11 to turn the volume down and it jumps to where I originally set it.

This happens on the speakers and when I use headphones through the audio jack. It does not happen when I use my wireless headphones that use a usb sound card. Oddly enough, it also went away when I replaced the (painfully slow) HDD with a 1TB samsung 840 EVO but has since slowly come back. I find this incredibly annoying and would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks
15,303 Views
28 REPLIES 28

hmscott
Level 12
themeonster wrote:
I have had this issue on my G750 JH for quite a while now across multiple audio drivers. What happens is that I start playing music or whatever and set the volume. Then I pause the audio or it and when I start it again the volume is about 50%+ higher than it was. So I go hit fn+f11 to turn the volume down and it jumps to where I originally set it.

This happens on the speakers and when I use headphones through the audio jack. It does not happen when I use my wireless headphones that use a usb sound card. Oddly enough, it also went away when I replaced the (painfully slow) HDD with a 1TB samsung 840 EVO but has since slowly come back. I find this incredibly annoying and would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks


themeonster, I had this same problem with my G750JH recently, it was Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultimate that was causing the problem.

Like you said, very annoying especially when you have headphones on and stuff comes on blaring at full volume.

After uninstalling Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultimate, I reinstalled the Asus DVD using Asus Install (in C:\eSupport), and have been using that for DVD/BD playback with no volume issues at all since.

Please let us know what you find as your volume problem 🙂

Sorry that it took me so long to get back to this. I notice it most when using audacity but it seems to be universal across games, movies (I have used asus DVD since I got the computer), chrome and even the windows sounds. I think that it is a driver or hardware issue because I don't have problems with my headphones using an external usb sound card.

Might it be some sort of driver or software conflict? Other than installing various drivers, I have no idea where to start troubleshooting. What should I be looking for? Is there anywhere that I could find an error log or something of that nature?

themeonster wrote:
Sorry that it took me so long to get back to this. I notice it most when using audacity but it seems to be universal across games, movies (I have used asus DVD since I got the computer), chrome and even the windows sounds. I think that it is a driver or hardware issue because I don't have problems with my headphones using an external usb sound card.

Might it be some sort of driver or software conflict? Other than installing various drivers, I have no idea where to start troubleshooting. What should I be looking for? Is there anywhere that I could find an error log or something of that nature?


themeonster, I don't have the problem, but I have updated all of my drivers to the latest Windows 8.1 version available at Asus, either in the G750/G751 sections, or from the central support download locations for each item, you need to dig a bit to find the latest version number, not always at the top of the list or the newest download posted by Asus - look for the version number.

I would think the 2 associated hardware drivers would be the Intel INF chipset driver 10.0.13, and the Realtek driver V6.0.1.7335, those are the versions I have installed.

Here is the list of places I look for updates for my G750JH; the best way to get a stable fully functioning G750/G751 is to update all the drivers / apps to the latest Windows 8.1 release.

The G750JW/JX/JH/JM/JS/JZ download areas haven't had new updates for a while, BIOS updates still happen in your model's support area, so check there from time to time.

The G750/G751/551/500/etc share the same basic hardware components; check support download areas for new hardware for newer drivers.

Asus maintains central support areas for hardware component features common to all products, those areas usually have the latest drivers after new hardware releases, sometimes there is a lag before the newer drivers show up there, so still to new product releases support downloads for the latest drivers.

Asus G751 Support / Download areas - Asus hasn't updated all the versions of these support areas, this link discusses the 3 locations were started independantly and not sync'd/updated through to the latest driver releases - check them all to be sure.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55572-Asus-G751-Support-Download-areas&p=461698&viewfull=1#...

This G751JM/JT/JY/JL download area has the latest drivers of all the G750/G751 support download areas:

G751 Support / Download Areas - Newest - has all 4 G751 models
http://www.asus.com/Search/?SearchKey=g751

G750 Support / Download Areas - Newest - has the G750JY/JZ/JS/JM/JH models
http://www.asus.com/Search/?SearchKey=g750

G750JX - new support location, updates?
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JX/

G750JW - new support location, updates?
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JW/

Here are the latest Asus posted VGA drivers currently 347.25 ; it's better to get the latest from Nvidia - 347.88

Asus doesn't modify the drivers, they release the identical driver packages as Nvidia releases.
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=VGA&p=3&s=111

Notebook Audio drivers - Realtek 7443 - current confirmed to work on G751/G750, some G750 users say 7335 works best for them, if you find a newer release version that works, please let us all know which version and G750/G751 model it works on.
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Audio&os=30

Notebook Card Reader (realtek) G750 / G751(?)
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Card+reader&os=30

Notebook Bluetooth drivers
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Bluetooth&p=3&ft=27&os=30

Notebook WLAN drivers (no Intel)
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=WLAN&os=3

Notebook LAN drivers
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=589&m=LAN&os=&hashedid=n%2fa

KBFilter driver
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=KBFilter&hashedid=n%2fa

Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1 download
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

Asus Backtracker FAQ
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008640/

Asus SmartGesture
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+Smart+Gesture&hashedid=n%2fa

Asus Touchpad
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Touchpad&os=30

Asus ATK Package
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ATK%20Package&hashedid=n/a

Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards, currently at release 2.7.9.0 for the G750JW/JX/JH and G751JT/JY
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=9&m=ASUS%20GPU%20Tweak%20for%20Graphics%20cards...

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, currently at release v1.0.9 for the G750JS/JM/JZ and other new ROG laptops with Optimus
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+GPU+Tweak+for+Laptops&hashedid=n%2fa

Here are the Asus posted VGA drivers, it's better to get the latest from Nvidia - currently 347.88
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=VGA&p=3&s=111

Nvidia Drivers direct from Nvidia
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Asus stopped updating their Intel INFUpdate support area, so go directly to Intel to get the latest chipset INF - currently 10.0.26
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-

For the G750JH/JZ RAID and G751JY PCIE SSD, or if you have implemented RAID, the latest SetupRST.exe is currently 13.6.0.1002
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=Intel+Rapid+Storage+Technology+%...

When you find additional locations, or corrections, please PM me and I will add it to the list 🙂

themeonster wrote:
Sorry that it took me so long to get back to this. I notice it most when using audacity but it seems to be universal across games, movies (I have used asus DVD since I got the computer), chrome and even the windows sounds. I think that it is a driver or hardware issue because I don't have problems with my headphones using an external usb sound card.

Might it be some sort of driver or software conflict? Other than installing various drivers, I have no idea where to start troubleshooting. What should I be looking for? Is there anywhere that I could find an error log or something of that nature?


Apothocarist wrote:
Any updates on this issue? I have the exact thing happening to me g750jz


themeonster, it's not something I am seeing, or have seen reported before your posts.

Like I said the only one I had a problem with was Cyberlink PowerDVD kicking up the volume all the way when starting. But, if Audacity is doing it, maybe uninstall it and run without it for a while to see if the problem goes away.

It doesn't seem to be a general problem with the drivers, more like a compatibility issue with apps.

There is only one place I know of that the system allows adapting to inputs to change volume, but that is only for reducing volume for incoming calls. I set mine to "do nothing" you could try that too.

44814

It might be the apps are tickling this the wrong way and causing volume jumps.

Apothocarist
Level 7
Any updates on this issue? I have the exact thing happening to me

g750jz

themeonster
Level 7
I still have the issue. The only way I can get it to reliably go away is to uninstall the realtek driver and use the windows default one which results in some oddities such as the speakers and headphones being considered separate audio devices. But I am going to live with it as I am sick of dealing with jumping audio.
Thanks for the suggestion hmscott but I had tried that already and it is set to do nothing for me as well.

themeonster wrote:
I still have the issue. The only way I can get it to reliably go away is to uninstall the realtek driver and use the windows default one which results in some oddities such as the speakers and headphones being considered separate audio devices. But I am going to live with it as I am sick of dealing with jumping audio.
Thanks for the suggestion hmscott but I had tried that already and it is set to do nothing for me as well.


themeonster, which Realtek driver are you using? I am using 7335, and have no trouble with jumping audio in speakers / headphones now or before with the JW/JX/JH.

I don't know what to suggest as to the problem, other than another audio controller / app.

Do you install the Nvidia Audio drivers? Maybe try uninstalling them and only have the Realtek drivers installed.

Here are the Nvidia drivers I have installed, and I have the Nvidia HD Audio installed...:

44841

I wouldn't give up, as it doesn't normally occur... maybe do an F9 reset back to out of the box and reload updates/drivers/apps checking for the culprit that changes the audio?

themeonster
Level 7
I considered doing a reset but with a highly customized skyrim install and a 1mb internet connection, I have been hesitant.

It occurs to me that it might have something to do with the secondary hard drive. Maybe a hidden virus or some corruption or something else Last time I did a factory reset I left it out of the computer. And when I replaced it with an SSD (via drive mirroring) the issue went away and came back.

I think that I will try backing up and resetting over the weekend to see where that gets me. Wish me luck.

How many TB of writes are our m.2 ssds rated for? I think that mine are sitting at about 8TB right now and I want to know when I should look in to replacing them.

themeonster wrote:
I considered doing a reset but with a highly customized skyrim install and a 1mb internet connection, I have been hesitant.
It occurs to me that it might have something to do with the secondary hard drive. Maybe a hidden virus or some corruption or something else Last time I did a factory reset I left it out of the computer. And when I replaced it with an SSD (via drive mirroring) the issue went away and came back.
I think that I will try backing up and resetting over the weekend to see where that gets me. Wish me luck.
How many TB of writes are our m.2 ssds rated for? I think that mine are sitting at about 8TB right now and I want to know when I should look in to replacing them.


themeonster, it might be a good idea, if you want more space, to get an M.2 SATA drive soon as the M.2 PCIE's are becoming more popular - I don't know how easy it will be to get the M.2 SATA in the larger sizes later.

But, as far as wear I wouldn't worry about it, in the long term tests at TechReport, the numbers make our usage pale in comparison.

The SSD Endurance Experiment: Casualties on the way to a petabyte - And then there were three
http://techreport.com/review/26523/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-casualties-on-the-way-to-a-petabyte

Please let us know how it works out, and what is/was causing it 🙂