cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750 Auto contrast is driving me nuts!!

kidfromhell
Level 9
I guess everyone knows about the issue I'm talking about and we'll proceed.

I have a G750JX-DB71 and I've been facing this issue right from the day I received my laptop. I've done tons of research and still the problem was unsolved. Changed Windows Power Management Settings, NVidia Dynamic Contrast Enhancement Settings, Stopped Sensor services using services.msc, uninstalled Power4Gear Hybrid and changed power plan settings as well. That's it when I switch to battery, this problem starts again. Even now whilst typing this, the contrast has changed causing a pain.

Finally, I did a CLEAN installation of Windows 8.1 and sigh, it's still there. But didn't install P4G and all. I'm with Nvidia driver of 327 I guess. I dunno what to do. Even when switching tabs in Gmail, the contrast changes due to the theme applied.

Finally, I contacted ASUS and they have provided me a RMA. As I'm new to USA, I do have some issues in sending my notebook to them. Issues in the sense, I can't travel to FedEx office carrying this monster packaged in a box. So this is my last try and I've brought the issue again to you guys. If it's possible do help me, or else I have to send it I guess. I dunno how much time will they take to process and send it as my entire studies depends on this one. I can't wait for long. I'm also worried that they might send me a refurbished one if they can't sort this issue out.

Also as I don't have any P4G and such, I begin to guess that I might have got a faulty display. Is it so? Do you guys advice me to go for RMA?

Update: Video added!

https://vimeo.com/87343067

Thanks Pat for the clip!

***** PERMANENT SOLUTION*****

ADVANTAGES:

You'll lose this contrast issue, FOREVER!!!

DISADVANTAGES:

You'll end up using a very old (6 months I guess) NVIDIA Graphics Driver so you might lose out on bugs and patches, performance improvements etc.

STEPS:

1. Go to Asus 750JX driver download page.
2. Select Win 8 x64 for the OS (Not 8.1)
3. Download this VGA driver (NVIDIA Version V9.18.13.1193 - The first one)
4. Install (When installing check custom install and select 'clean install')
5. Reboot
6. And voila, the problem is gone forever.
7. Don't forget to go to GeForce Experience and uncheck all the automatic updates or this sneaky little software might update you to new drivers silently and you'd have to repeat the steps again.

THIS IS THE PERMANENT SOLUTION, FOR NOW UNTIL NVIDIA RECOGNISES THIS AND FIXES IT. SO THIS HAS A FAIR SHARE OF DISADVANTAGES AS WELL!!
200 REPLIES 200

Novadash wrote:
Is FPS affected a lot?? I'd rather live with the autocontrast than with constant low fps
Just a note: I don't really play games other than LoL or some online games so idm fps drops in new games such as BF4, etc.
P.S.: Any1 know where i can get a link to the driver? I can't seem to find one that doesnt last 3 hours to download I'm using windows 8.1

Yes, by using an old driver you can lose a lot of FPS as well as miss out on a lot of fixed glitches. On the other hand it’s unlikely that you do any hardcore gaming on batteries, right? So you may update to the latest drivers if you do not use it on batteries! If you use it on both batteries and via AC adapter its no fun at all having to switch between the OLD driver just because you can’t stand the annoying adaptive brightness and then switch back because you also want to take advantage of the latest driver when you play games :mad:

TiberiusX
Level 7
Here is my 2 cents worth and how I got rid of the auto contrasting on my G750 JH. I have been following this thread and have been stable for two days now with multiple reboots. First I had already uninstalled Splendid utility due to color distortion issues but I still have Power for gear
installed, also I did turn off auto screen brightness in the advanced settings of Power for gear and have the latest driver installed through Nvidia Geforce experience (driver 334.89).

Opened Nvidia control panel
opened "adjust video color settings"
clicked radio button for adjust with the Nvidia settings
advanced tab
dynamic range (Full 0-255)

**Now here is where I noticed that the dynamic contrast enhancement was not check marked as being enabled so I,

clicked box to enable
hit apply
clicked again to uncheck box,
hit apply again,
closed Nvidia control panel and rebooted.....

Voila, no more auto contrast for two days now.

Hope what worked for me works for others and thanks for all who contributed to this thread with their own processes and ideas.

**By the way, the latest Nvidia driver is working perfectly for me.**

TiberiusX wrote:
Here is my 2 cents worth and how I got rid of the auto contrasting on my G750 JH. I have been following this thread and have been stable for two days now with multiple reboots. First I had already uninstalled Splendid utility due to color distortion issues but I still have Power for gear
installed, also I did turn off auto screen brightness in the advanced settings of Power for gear and have the latest driver installed through Nvidia Geforce experience (driver 334.89).

Opened Nvidia control panel
opened "adjust video color settings"
clicked radio button for adjust with the Nvidia settings
advanced tab
dynamic range (Full 0-255)

**Now here is where I noticed that the dynamic contrast enhancement was not check marked as being enabled so I,

clicked box to enable
hit apply
clicked again to uncheck box,
hit apply again,
closed Nvidia control panel and rebooted.....

Voila, no more auto contrast for two days now.

Hope what worked for me works for others and thanks for all who contributed to this thread with their own processes and ideas.

**By the way, the latest Nvidia driver is working perfectly for me.**

didnt work
i must say i have been disappointed with this 750 JH samsung panel screen. Despite its a exclusive product.

kidfromhell
Level 9
Phew all is good with the 311.93 downgrade. Suddenly today the problem came back and the display became ugly. I was terrified and thought that the downgrade might could be a temporary solution. Being doubtful, I checked GeForce Experience and this sneaky little software updated my drivers silently in the background to 334. OMG, downgraded again to 311 and unchecked all the driver updates. So, problem solved again.

******* SO THIS IS THE PERMANENT SOLUTION*****

Thread OP updated!!

kidfromhell wrote:
Phew all is good with the 311.93 downgrade. Suddenly today the problem came back and the display became ugly. I was terrified and thought that the downgrade might could be a temporary solution. Being doubtful, I checked GeForce Experience and this sneaky little software updated my drivers silently in the background to 334. OMG, downgraded again to 311 and unchecked all the driver updates. So, problem solved again.

******* SO THIS IS THE PERMANENT SOLUTION*****

Thread OP updated!!

Yeah sure it’s permanent but I hope we agree that it’s still an interim solution until Asus fixes the problem. Using half a year old drivers really isn’t a solution in my opinion. It would be interesting to know if someone has sent their G750 for inspection at Asus end, and what then Asus replied!?

Bjarke
Level 7
Bump... Seriously... Bump! This is the most enoying feature ever.
And why does it even make it darker when it's dark, and brighter when it's bright... Shouln't it be the other way around?

RogJohn
Level 7
im having the same problem! done everything that is posted here and the only thing that work was to use the old graphics driver which is unbelievable considering this problem can be solved "note: just like what lenovo did with a patch but doesnt work on asus" FPS dropped and very f'in annoying

pokerface
Level 9
I have a G750JX with the 3D glossy screen and I never noticed any issues, can anyone explain what exactly is the issue and how to reproduce it?
ALIENWARE 18 Laptop
CPU: Intel Core i7-4900MQ CPU @ 3.8 GHz (8MB Cache)
Graphics: Dual GeForce GTX 780M SLI 2x4 GB GDDR5 RAM
Sound: Realtek ALC668 HD Audio with Klipsch Speakers
Memory: 32 GB Kingston HyperX 1866 MHz DDR3 PC3-14900 RAM
Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SSD + Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB SSD + Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB mSATA SSD
Screen: Samsung LTM184HL01 18.4" WLED FHD (1920 X 1080) TrueLife Display PLS 16:9 1080p [SDC4C48]

Hate to mention it to you 750 guys, but I've got a G55VW. Exact same problem, with no solution but to roll back drivers. GREAT.

Alternatively, however, this allows one to realize that the problem is Nvidia and their new drivers, for sure.

i had this problem too. İ tried many many things to get rid of it. Using jh with 3D version. But after i sent machine to the service (3 times)
they sent it to me back and the problem was gone. Actually i deleted their factory win 8 and installed clean win 8,1 from iso. Then installed latest grpahic driver and atk package still problem was gone no ****en auto contrast anymore. İ think its from nvidia drivers who reveal it and the solution it. İ suspect at the beginning from atk packages but i install them too. try not to install it or install the idffrent nvdia drivers.