cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750 Auto contrast is driving me nuts!!

kidfromhell
Level 9
I guess everyone knows about the issue I'm talking about and we'll proceed.

I have a G750JX-DB71 and I've been facing this issue right from the day I received my laptop. I've done tons of research and still the problem was unsolved. Changed Windows Power Management Settings, NVidia Dynamic Contrast Enhancement Settings, Stopped Sensor services using services.msc, uninstalled Power4Gear Hybrid and changed power plan settings as well. That's it when I switch to battery, this problem starts again. Even now whilst typing this, the contrast has changed causing a pain.

Finally, I did a CLEAN installation of Windows 8.1 and sigh, it's still there. But didn't install P4G and all. I'm with Nvidia driver of 327 I guess. I dunno what to do. Even when switching tabs in Gmail, the contrast changes due to the theme applied.

Finally, I contacted ASUS and they have provided me a RMA. As I'm new to USA, I do have some issues in sending my notebook to them. Issues in the sense, I can't travel to FedEx office carrying this monster packaged in a box. So this is my last try and I've brought the issue again to you guys. If it's possible do help me, or else I have to send it I guess. I dunno how much time will they take to process and send it as my entire studies depends on this one. I can't wait for long. I'm also worried that they might send me a refurbished one if they can't sort this issue out.

Also as I don't have any P4G and such, I begin to guess that I might have got a faulty display. Is it so? Do you guys advice me to go for RMA?

Update: Video added!

https://vimeo.com/87343067

Thanks Pat for the clip!

***** PERMANENT SOLUTION*****

ADVANTAGES:

You'll lose this contrast issue, FOREVER!!!

DISADVANTAGES:

You'll end up using a very old (6 months I guess) NVIDIA Graphics Driver so you might lose out on bugs and patches, performance improvements etc.

STEPS:

1. Go to Asus 750JX driver download page.
2. Select Win 8 x64 for the OS (Not 8.1)
3. Download this VGA driver (NVIDIA Version V9.18.13.1193 - The first one)
4. Install (When installing check custom install and select 'clean install')
5. Reboot
6. And voila, the problem is gone forever.
7. Don't forget to go to GeForce Experience and uncheck all the automatic updates or this sneaky little software might update you to new drivers silently and you'd have to repeat the steps again.

THIS IS THE PERMANENT SOLUTION, FOR NOW UNTIL NVIDIA RECOGNISES THIS AND FIXES IT. SO THIS HAS A FAIR SHARE OF DISADVANTAGES AS WELL!!
200 REPLIES 200

cl-Albert,
I was running 1.0.0026 when i wrote the instruction, but I just tried 1.0.0031 (again) and it also works with the instruction. Note: This is not a solution as you have to do it every time you start the computer. And you cannot do it without first having the AC adapter connected to start with.
Hmmmm…. I used the ASUS Backtracker to make a W8 copy on a 16GB USB-drive. Do you know if the backup is a 8 version or if it might just as well be 8.1 depending on when you make the backup? I can’t remember exactly when I did the backup you see… I might consider reinstalling that backup on a separate HDD. But on the other hand I think there’s actually something wrong driver-wise, see e.g my comment to kidfromhell below…

I am obs,
I guess you do not have the same problem as we do. The dimming has never been a problem when connected to the AC adapter, it the other way around.

kidfromhell,
I must somehow have missed it in a previous post, but now I went back to the ASUS site and downloaded an old driver, which I haven’t tested before. The 311.93 version. Is that the one you mean? I was very surprised to find out that the problem seems to be totally gone. No dimming at all when unplugged and I can even start without having the AC adapter connected 😃 Yeah!!! Now were talking! 😃 I am a bit skeptical by nature so please give me a day or two since I haven’t tested it thoroughly but so far so good… So is it Nvidia after all?
I haven’t seen any horizontal lines (yet) but I haven’t looked for them either… I have plenty of headache from the dimming issue.

Br,
Pat!

PatRaven wrote:

kidfromhell,
I must somehow have missed it in a previous post, but now I went back to the ASUS site and downloaded an old driver, which I haven’t tested before. The 311.93 version. Is that the one you mean? I was very surprised to find out that the problem seems to be totally gone. No dimming at all when unplugged and I can even start without having the AC adapter connected 😃 Yeah!!! Now were talking! 😃 I am a bit skeptical by nature so please give me a day or two since I haven’t tested it thoroughly but so far so good… So is it Nvidia after all?
I haven’t seen any horizontal lines (yet) but I haven’t looked for them either… I have plenty of headache from the dimming issue.

Br,
Pat!

Yes, that's the one. I've already mentioned before that this works, but it's damn old. I already knew it is NVIDIA's fault. Don't worry Pat, the solution is permanent if you can live with the old driver!

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
PatRaven wrote:
cl-Albert,
Hmmmm…. I used the ASUS Backtracker to make a W8 copy on a 16GB USB-drive. Do you know if the backup is a 8 version or if it might just as well be 8.1 depending on when you make the backup? I can’t remember exactly when I did the backup you see… I might consider reinstalling that backup on a separate HDD. But on the other hand I think there’s actually something wrong driver-wise, see e.g my comment to kidfromhell below…

Pat, ASUS Backtracker should only save the factory recovery partition which would be Win8 if your notebook came with it originally even though you created the back-up in Win8.1.
If you want to spend the time and trouble, I'm curious if you will see the problem going back to the ASUS factory Win8 image, installing the important Windows updates (but not upgrading to Win8.1 yet), and installing the newer nVidia driver that you've seen problems with before installing anything else at all.

If everything is still okay with that newer nVidia driver in Win8, try upgrading to Win8.1 before installing anything else to check if the problem is still there.

Although the issue appears related to the newer nVIdia driver, I'm wondering if there are other things (Win8.1?) or software (ASUS Splendid, ASUS Power4Gear, or third parts etc.) that are related to it too.
Assume you guys must have tried the Win8.1 nVidia driver V9.18.13.2683 posted on the ASUS G750JX download site, but it's something I need to try out with my G750JW unit (uses the same driver) if you're seeing the problem with it (you can wait for me if you prefer?).

Maybe there aren't a lot of people who are running on battery in Win8.1 with the newer nVIdia driver that are bothered by this, but expect more people to complain if it was a common issue, so just wanted to check if there could be more differences in your's and kidfromhell's configurations that it may be related to.

cl-Albert wrote:
Pat, ASUS Backtracker should only save the factory recovery partition which would be Win8 if your notebook came with it originally even though you created the back-up in Win8.1.
If you want to spend the time and trouble, I'm curious if you will see the problem going back to the ASUS factory Win8 image, installing the important Windows updates (but not upgrading to Win8.1 yet), and installing the newer nVidia driver that you've seen problems with before installing anything else at all.

If everything is still okay with that newer nVidia driver in Win8, try upgrading to Win8.1 before installing anything else to check if the problem is still there.

Although the issue appears related to the newer nVIdia driver, I'm wondering if there are other things (Win8.1?) or software (ASUS Splendid, ASUS Power4Gear, or third parts etc.) that are related to it too.
Assume you guys must have tried the Win8.1 nVidia driver V9.18.13.2683 posted on the ASUS G750JX download site, but it's something I need to try out with my G750JW unit (uses the same driver) if you're seeing the problem with it (you can wait for me if you prefer?).

Maybe there aren't a lot of people who are running on battery in Win8.1 with the newer nVIdia driver that are bothered by this, but expect more people to complain if it was a common issue, so just wanted to check if there could be more differences in your's and kidfromhell's configurations that it may be related to.

I had my share of fun yesterday and restored the factory image on an empty HDD. Yes, as you say it was Windows 8.0 on it. After installation I did the following:

- Uninstalled Power 4 gear, since I have read that it overrides whatever profile you select under energy settings. I could most probably have changed the unplugged profile in Power 4 gear, but I did not try.

- I turned off Adaptive brightness in the energy profile (high performance)

- I checked if I could spot any dimming when unplugged using the factory set Nvidia driver 311.93. No dimming. Also there was no dimming if I turned on the computer without the AC adapter.

- Then I installed (clean install) the latest Nvidia 334.89 WHQL version. And the dimming was there instantly when unplugged, no matter what energy setting applied.

So for sure it seems that it does not matter if you are on Windows 8.0 or 8.1, the problem persists.

I hope you make some interesting findings 🙂

Ps. I made sure that I used a black desktop background and white windows so that its extremly easy to see the fading going on...

kidfromhell
Level 9
Woah, my head is spinning. Good one Pat, lemme try and let you know asap 🙂

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Day.. 16 or something. Still can't replicate the issue when I prodded my JX a couple of times. No idea what I did.

Has anyone had the issue completely resolved? I'm also desperate about this -_- and I haven't found any solution at all for months now.

kidfromhell
Level 9
Just one solution. Revert back to the very old NVIDIA driver from JX Win 8 page (311.93 one). That solves this permanently, but you won't get good frames in games as the driver is very old. If you can live with that and I do.

PatRaven
Level 7
Yep, the only thing that helps for sure is the old 311.93 driver. I am keeping my fingers crossed and wish that someone (like ASUS perhaps) comes up with an easy OFF tweak for all of us with this annoying problem, so that we also can >>enjoy<< the G750 power with the latest GPU drivers...

Novadash
Level 7
Is FPS affected a lot?? I'd rather live with the autocontrast than with constant low fps
Just a note: I don't really play games other than LoL or some online games so idm fps drops in new games such as BF4, etc.
P.S.: Any1 know where i can get a link to the driver? I can't seem to find one that doesnt last 3 hours to download I'm using windows 8.1