cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750 Auto contrast is driving me nuts!!

kidfromhell
Level 9
I guess everyone knows about the issue I'm talking about and we'll proceed.

I have a G750JX-DB71 and I've been facing this issue right from the day I received my laptop. I've done tons of research and still the problem was unsolved. Changed Windows Power Management Settings, NVidia Dynamic Contrast Enhancement Settings, Stopped Sensor services using services.msc, uninstalled Power4Gear Hybrid and changed power plan settings as well. That's it when I switch to battery, this problem starts again. Even now whilst typing this, the contrast has changed causing a pain.

Finally, I did a CLEAN installation of Windows 8.1 and sigh, it's still there. But didn't install P4G and all. I'm with Nvidia driver of 327 I guess. I dunno what to do. Even when switching tabs in Gmail, the contrast changes due to the theme applied.

Finally, I contacted ASUS and they have provided me a RMA. As I'm new to USA, I do have some issues in sending my notebook to them. Issues in the sense, I can't travel to FedEx office carrying this monster packaged in a box. So this is my last try and I've brought the issue again to you guys. If it's possible do help me, or else I have to send it I guess. I dunno how much time will they take to process and send it as my entire studies depends on this one. I can't wait for long. I'm also worried that they might send me a refurbished one if they can't sort this issue out.

Also as I don't have any P4G and such, I begin to guess that I might have got a faulty display. Is it so? Do you guys advice me to go for RMA?

Update: Video added!

https://vimeo.com/87343067

Thanks Pat for the clip!

***** PERMANENT SOLUTION*****

ADVANTAGES:

You'll lose this contrast issue, FOREVER!!!

DISADVANTAGES:

You'll end up using a very old (6 months I guess) NVIDIA Graphics Driver so you might lose out on bugs and patches, performance improvements etc.

STEPS:

1. Go to Asus 750JX driver download page.
2. Select Win 8 x64 for the OS (Not 8.1)
3. Download this VGA driver (NVIDIA Version V9.18.13.1193 - The first one)
4. Install (When installing check custom install and select 'clean install')
5. Reboot
6. And voila, the problem is gone forever.
7. Don't forget to go to GeForce Experience and uncheck all the automatic updates or this sneaky little software might update you to new drivers silently and you'd have to repeat the steps again.

THIS IS THE PERMANENT SOLUTION, FOR NOW UNTIL NVIDIA RECOGNISES THIS AND FIXES IT. SO THIS HAS A FAIR SHARE OF DISADVANTAGES AS WELL!!
200 REPLIES 200

Aaron44126
Level 7
Regarding the driver bug, it is reportedly fixed with the ASUS version of the NVIDIA drivers as of late 2015.
It is fixed in the generic version of the NVIDIA drivers as of early 2018 (390 series drivers).