cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 VW/G75V Screen Dims When on Dark Screen and Brightens on Light Screens: ASUS ASCR

Ibanezjunkie93
Level 7
I just got an ASUS G75V this weekend and noticed that the brightness of the screen decreases when I'm looking at a dark screen and then re-brightens when I'm looking at a light screen. I looked around online and could not find anything helpful except that the problem may be because of the ASUS ASCR which stands for "ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio." I have heard that disabling this setting in the screen settings might solve the problem. However, I can't for the life of me find where to disable this. I am running WIndows 8 on an ASUS G75V. ANy help is appreciated, thanks a bunch guys!
19 REPLIES 19

Yes, this seemed to fix the problem! I downloaded the 320.49 driver and it is not having that issue! Hopefully, Nvidia will fix their next update and not have this problem with it! I always hate not having the most updated software

Hi. I found out the solution, after encountering this problem I rolled back back to the original drivers found on ASUS website and all was fine. However, recently I needed to install the latest ones in order to play Battlefield 4 and I couldn't believe the problem wasn't yet fixed nor I could find any solutions on Google.

I will tell you what I did to fix it, while keeping the newest drivers. I'm not sure which step fixed the problem but here you go:

1. Right click Computer, choose Manage, Services and Applications, now click Services and find "NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service" and "NVIDIA Streamer Service"
2. Go for both to Properties, Startup type and choose Disabled
3. Finally, uninstall Power4Gear Hybrid and restart when prompted.

Hope I helped 🙂

Daeva wrote:
1. Right click Computer, choose Manage, Services and Applications, now click Services and find "NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service" and "NVIDIA Streamer Service"
2. Go for both to Properties, Startup type and choose Disabled

This did it! It was the "NVIDIA Streamer Service." I've spent dozens of hours trying to figure this out. Thanks!

drzberg
Level 7
I was having this same issue on a g46, what worked for me was to turn off "Display Power Saving Technology" in the intel graphics panel under
power tab (select "On battery" as the power source).

shark1707
Level 7
Hi, i just got a G750JX, nothing seem to fix this problem for me (i need the latest nvidia driver). The problem only occurs when the power cable is not plugged in. I really hate this.

I'm still having this issue despite trying older nVidia drivers...I've turned off Windows 8.1's smart Brightness feature that auto adjusts how bright your screen is, but even when plugged in, I still get a dimmer screen when I'm looking at something dark. This sucks because I'm a photographer--I photo edit on this thing, I NEED my screen to be at full normal brightness when in photoshop but this stupid machine keeps dimming!

Help!
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

GottiBoi55
Level 10
You need to turn off Adaptive Brightness.
Check this
link , will give you a step by step on how to fix your issue.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:
Check this

a nice share. yeah sometimes this power saving technique is counter productive. since it's power-related, to me i always just go for the power settings route. (the only way that i know of lol). didn't realize there are many ways to do the same thing.

GottiBoi55 wrote:
Check this

Hey like I tried to say but must've been wrong in my wording I turned off adaptive brightness, that isn't causing it, it is/was nVidia. I upgraded to the latest driver and that appears to have fixed the issue. I hope.
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

finalhour wrote:
Hey like I tried to say but must've been wrong in my wording I turned off adaptive brightness, that isn't causing it, it is/was nVidia. I upgraded to the latest driver and that appears to have fixed the issue. I hope.

Good job my friend!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"