cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 CMOS Rest

jondank
Level 7
I am considering purchasing a G75VX. I have two G73SW's each with 256 GB OCZ MaxIOPs SSDs installed. There were bios issues ithe OCZ's (eventually resolved). Along the way OCZ recommended that I reset the G73SW CMOS. There was no mechanism to do this other than taking the laptop apart and removing the CMOS battery. I never did it. I would like to know if ASUS have added a key combination or reset button to clear the CMOS in the G75.

Regards,

John
4 REPLIES 4

ZeroBarrier
Level 10
I don't think I've ever heard of a laptop that has a BIOS reset switch or key combination; ever...

Some laptops have been known to use the power button as such; removing the laptop power cord & battery, then holding down the laptop power button for 10 seconds. I'm completely unsure in the G series uses this method, but the only tried and true method is always removing the CMOS battery; and yes, I know, it's inside the non-serviceable area in the G series which would void your warranty.

GottiBoi55
Level 10
jondank wrote:
I am considering purchasing a G75VX. I have two G73SW's each with 256 GB OCZ MaxIOPs SSDs installed. There were bios issues ithe OCZ's (eventually resolved). Along the way OCZ recommended that I reset the G73SW CMOS. There was no mechanism to do this other than taking the laptop apart and removing the CMOS battery. I never did it. I would like to know if ASUS have added a key combination or reset button to clear the CMOS in the G75.

Regards,

John

To flash back to the factory BIOS, do as follows

1. Hold ctrl+home
2. Then press the power button
3. Keep holding ctrl+home untill you see the "easy flash utility" start
4. let easy flash run, and shut down on it's own.

You should be flashed back to the factory installed BIOS after this procedure.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

Pitcher1
Level 9
i suggest you send back to service center to do CMOS reset.

Generally the BIOS is stored in non-volatile memory (but re-writable). CMOS memory is volatile and it will clear if the battery is removed or fails. I am not concerned about the BIOS. I have relashed the BIOS on my G73SW with no problem. I am asking about the volatile CMOS. I do not know if reflashing the BIOS simultaneously resets a portion of the CMOS. Based on my experience the date and time were preserved after BIOS updating. As I said, OCZ recommends clearing and resetting the contents of the CMOS memory whenever one needs to rebuild the OCZ SSD drive. Apparently the CMOS also stores critical tables for the SSD. It is extremely inconvenient that the ASUS requires the laptop to be returned for this service. Many other laptop manufacturers provide the ability to reset the CMOS memory via a reset button or a key combination or easy access to the battery. It is disappointing that ASUS has not addressed this issue with the latest G series laptops.

John