cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75? Can we "upgrade"?

AdelaisAer
Level 8
I bought my G74SX last month, but then G75 is coming out in April. :S Makes me wish I waited for the G75. Is there a possibility of "upgrading" to the G75 for 25~50% off, or should I just wait until I can afford to buy a G75?

And I am thinking this only because of some of the issues with the G74 that I *HOPE* are fixed in G75.
Asus G74SX-DH72 [203]

• 16GB RAM
  • nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 3GB VRAM
  • Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
  • Windows 10 64-bit
  • Intel 520 SSD - 180GB
  • 700GB 7200rpm HDD (x2 paritions, 350GB each)
35 REPLIES 35

Boosted_R wrote:
wow they basically renamed the GPU's........ guess you have to treat ASUS like a used car salesman lol

How Nvidia names its products is not a decision we are associated with. We merely integrate what they offer.

Due to the custom design of the GPU you cannot upgrade it in the G74, and if you replace the CPU it must be with one of the same or lower TDP. Both will invalidate the warranty of course and I'm not sure if the G74 chipset is 3rd Gen Intel CPU compatible. I know the desktop parts are 100% and I would assume the notebook ones are too, but it's not something that's been checked here afaik.

We've also not confirmed the G75/55 release date either yet 😉

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
How Nvidia names its products is not a decision we are associated with. We merely integrate what they offer.

That's like saying, ASUS didn't rob the bank, ASUS JUST drove the get away car, in the end it plays a part......... very misleading to future laptop consumers......... end of the day its about how much ASUS sells it seems.
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:

Due to the custom design of the GPU you cannot upgrade it in the G74, and if you replace the CPU it must be with one of the same or lower TDP. Both will invalidate the warranty of course and I'm not sure if the G74 chipset is 3rd Gen Intel CPU compatible. I know the desktop parts are 100% and I would assume the notebook ones are too, but it's not something that's been checked here afaik.
so in other words the 2960xm may not work in our g74sx ?
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB
120GB KINGSTON HYPER X SSD
INTEL CENTRINO ULTIMATE-N 6300

AdelaisAer
Level 8
See, I don't know how to use those softwares, so I am scared I might actually end up causing more harm than good. I'd need someone to do it for me, or maybe follow a strict guide that shows the limitations of GTX560M 3GB. As for disassembling....*shudder*....I'd rather send it in to someone who has experience doing that rather than doing it myself. @___@;
Asus G74SX-DH72 [203]

• 16GB RAM
  • nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 3GB VRAM
  • Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
  • Windows 10 64-bit
  • Intel 520 SSD - 180GB
  • 700GB 7200rpm HDD (x2 paritions, 350GB each)

PILGRIM
Level 11
A bit of buyer's remorse already?..:)

When the G73 first came out, I said to myself "Wow! Now look at that beauty!.."
But I decided not to get it yet. i thought maybe the next model would be more stunning.
As it turned out, a lot of issues in the G73.

Now I've got the G74. And I'm not disappointed. Methinks it was worth the wait.
As it turned out, I'm mostly satisfied with it. (Some issues here and there, but there's none
too big I can't handle, so far.)

The G75 is fast approaching. But I'm having the same "feeling" on it I've had with the G73.
So.. I'm gonna let this G75 pass by.

I would go for the G76 instead. But only if ASUS customer sadisfaction is turned into
customer satisfaction..:p
ASUS G74SX-3DE

I suspect that while the G75 will fix some of the G74's most outstanding issues, it too will have its own grocery list of idiosyncrasies and oddities that will become infamous. The more things change, the more they stay the same. I've rather learned to live with the G74's problems (which are relatively minor) and would not want to "trailblaze" solutions to a whole new set just to have a G75.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

BrodyBoy
Level 10
AdelaisAer wrote:
Is there a possibility of "upgrading" to the G75 for 25~50% off, or should I just wait until I can afford to buy a G75?

Not a chance.

And I am thinking this only because of some of the issues with the G74 that I *HOPE* are fixed in G75.

Owners always wish that the things they don't like in their model are fixed in the next one. But I honestly think each new model is designed based on what they think will sell, and the need to compete with other manufacturers on features. "Perfecting" the previous model makes no sense, from a marketing point of view.

I'll bet all those owners of G73s with defective touchpads thought Asus would HAVE to fix such an egregious design flaw in their next model.....

fostert
Level 12
As mentioned for OC'ing my 560M I use MSI afterburner. What I do is try some settings, run a few graphics benchies (e.g. the graphics tests in Passmark performance test, at http://www.cpubenchmark.net) to make sure the hardware is stable with the new settings, and keep inching up the clocks until the NVIDIA graphics driver stops responding and resets. The you know you've gone too far, and you can back off a few MHz. Also keep an eye on the GPU temps: anything in the high 80's worries me.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Just wondering when will G75 become available in North America (based on how long it took G74 to become available)? Also does that mean G74 prices will drop to clearance level in the next couple of months? Given that G75 is rumoured to include 670M, what level of general gaming performance bump should we be expecting?

I am thinking of the following NH71 @ Newegg for $1329
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230142&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Ju...

Thanks

olounda
Level 7
there is only 1 reason why I would upgrade from my current g74, and its as simple as 2 little words. "Num Lock". Sure the rest of the specs look fabulous, but just because the g75 comes out does not mean that a finely tuned g74 can no longer compete in todays market. I'm too am with the idea of letting this new model pass by.