cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX Wifi issue with clean w7 x64 install

Carlos_F
Level 8
Hey everyone,

I just installed windows 7 onto my ssd on my g74sx. Only problem is, I can't get the wifi to work. I have the intel card, and I can't get annny of the wifi drivers I find to work. Under device manager, the unknown device is "Network controller." Everything else is working well.

Can someone point me in the direction of a functioning driver? Or maybe it's another problem someone can point out and help me with?
10 REPLIES 10

JRd1st
Level 12
Which card do you have?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Carlos_F
Level 8
Well, this is embarrassing, but since I bought the computer from a friend I'm not sure. Device manager is of course not letting me view which card it is by name, where else could I look?

JRd1st
Level 12
So it may not be an intel? Look at that unknown device and in the properties look at details. See if it says Atheros under manufacturer.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Carlos_F
Level 8
Errr I feel pretty dumb right about now hahaha. It is an atheros card, I just tried the drivers and they work perfectly... Sorry, he told me it was an intel card. Thanks for your help!

JRd1st
Level 12
No problem.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

reddragun3
Level 7
i'm having the same problem...but under details..its says the manufacturer is "unknown" and I already installed all the drivers...

except the atheros lan ar8151 etc. it says "error"..

how can i get it to recognize what is the "network controller" so i know what to do...

dstrakele
Level 14
I'm not sure what you mean, @reddragun. Maybe a screen shot would be helpful. I suspect you have both an Atheros WLAN card and Atheros AR8151 Ethernet Controller. Each requires its own Atheros driver. here is the link for the Atheros Ethernet Controller driver: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/LAN/LAN_Athros_AR8151_Win7_64_Z10243.zip

If you're not plugging in an Ethernet cable for your internet connection, you don't even need this driver.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean, @reddragun. Maybe a screen shot would be helpful. I suspect you have both an Atheros WLAN card and Atheros AR8151 Ethernet Controller. Each requires its own Atheros driver. here is the link for the Atheros Ethernet Controller driver: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/LAN/LAN_Athros_AR8151_Win7_64_Z10243.zip

If you're not plugging in an Ethernet cable for your internet connection, you don't even need this driver.

yeah.. i tired that one. Brody reminded me to find the back up disc that I made (like 5-6 dvd's) when i first got it back from the first RMA. lol... i'll find those and restore it...since its getting RMA again right. just want to restore it back to factory and be done with it. we spent all weekend on this thing...i can't get that time back. but I least I learned something.... ASC 5! woo hoo!! can't wait to get the new (or new-used) one and install that baby! lol thanks dstrakele!

dstrakele
Level 14
I was under the impression that one of the first things ASUS does in an RMA is a Factory Restore. As long as you have backed up everything you need, I'd say you're done. What do the rest of you think? Am I incorrect?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT