cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX w/ 560m " opengl driver lost connection with the display " error 7...

hirethestache
Level 10
Im running some basic rendering using Hit Film 2, and keep running into the error. After about three hours of searching around, upgrading to the latest driver, and trying a few tests out, I have been unable to find a fix for my issue. From what I understand, the issue has to do with some sort of timing out with windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To note, I have not run into this issue in the two years I've had my rig. I wish there was a possibility of upgrading the GPU without swapping the mobo 😞
8 REPLIES 8

xeromist
Have you used this same version of Hit Film in the past without any errors? Wondering if the latest version is different perhaps.

Other things to check would be the GPU temperature and perhaps running a benchmarking tool to stress it and see if you get artifacts or crashing. Furmark is the most intense but 3D Mark would be fine for basic functionality.

You might also try reverting to a much older driver as perhaps several of the latest Nvidia drivers have this issue.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

hirethestache
Level 10
Im not really exceeding temps past 50c. The crash only occurs when attempting a preview(rarely), or rendering the full scene(every time). One thing to note, I am able to successfully render WITHOUT my particle systems, but not with. I've even tried rendering JUST the particle system, and and I get the crash.

xeromist
That sound pretty specific to the application so I'm not sure. Perhaps the way it is making calls to the graphics sub system is unexpected or maybe it's accessing a different part of the card that is not normally used but has now failed.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I would recommend going to the support website of the product you are using, that may help you more than here. Keep us posted on your progress.
Dabigin on xbl and psn
Dabigin on stream
Republic of Gamers Laptop owner 2-11-2011
System:
Current System
GL703GE (Powered on 1/3/2019)
Old System
G74SX (Retired 12/20/2018)

Zygomorphic
Level 17
That is wierd. I didn't know about any timeouts in Windows, though come to think of it, it doesn't suprise me. Perhaps there is a registry setting that you can change to increase/remove that timeout?
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

xeromist
I think it's more the equivalent of not responding and aborting but I could be wrong. Nodens might have a clearer idea as he knows more about driver functions.

hirethestache
Level 10
Just an update for others who hit this issue. I was not running into any actual GPU errors--my temperatures were all nominal, and the system was stable. Additionally, it was not a software issue...exactly. I was rendering out full 1080p HD composites with particle systems and extremely high poly models, so I'd expect my machine to chug a bit. But with full rendering at about .8 FPS, windows THOUGHT my GPU was unresponsive, and restarted the display driver.

My fix was to disable Windows Reporting specifically for the GPU, by adding the following registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers

Create a new REG_DWORD entry:
TdrLevel
Value Data: 0
Hexadecimal

Restart

Et'Voila!

Hope this helps others out!

@hirethestache, +rep for the excellent post. I assume you put the Registry key path in with a space on purpose?
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23