cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX Video problem only on initial bootup

Retired
Not applicable
I replaced the 1600 X 900 screen on my G74SX-BBK7 (Bust Buy version) with a 1920 X 1080 that I ordered online and had shipped out here to Afghan.

When I initially turn the machine on, the ASUS screen shows and the "Starting Windows" screen with the logo appears, the screen then goes dark. Not completely black, can still see the faint glow indicating that it's powered up, just nothing visible. If I press the power button and put the computer to sleep (After the HD access light stops flashing indicating that it's booted up) and then wake it back up with the power button, the screen comes up but only portions of it, until I move the mouse..........then my log on screen comes up clean and everything works fine.

I've never seen anything like this.........current video driver (which worked flawlessly with the 1600 X 900 screen) is 8.17.12.8562.

Anyone?????
15 REPLIES 15

JRd1st
Level 12
Did you uninstall and reinstall that nvidia driver? 285.62 (as we call it, here) 😄

Also, maybe there's a profile or driver for that display. Google the display id and see what pops up.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for the answer. No I didn't and haven't tried a driver reinstall, it takes about 3 hours to download the thing out here and I am not sure I saved the file from the last time.

I did do an automatic search for any updated "monitor" drivers through device manager and it came back as up to date, still listed as a generic PnP though, not sure if that matters or not. I already trashed the box the new display came in so I'll have to pull it apart again and see if I can find a model number or something. Thanks again.

JRd1st
Level 12
Re do the chipset drivers from the command line with -overall as a switch, first.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

dstrakele
Level 14
You can get the model number from Device Manager. Right-click on the "Generic PnP Monitor" and choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu. Select the "Details" tab and click on the down-drop triangle on the right side of "Device description" in the Property section and select "Hardware Ids". The model# will display in the "Value" section.

On my G74SX-AI, it displays MONITOR\CMO1726 (a monitor produced by Chi Mei Electionics in Taiwan). This monitor uses the Microsoft PnP driver version 6.1.6700.16385. Chi Mei does not supply a driver for this device.

I am running the stock NVIDIA 8.17.2.6837 video driver.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Retired
Not applicable
When I right click and select properties and details it just says Generic PnP Monitor and the drop down box that says Device Description has no options in it.

I took it apart again and got the model number, it's an LG Phillips LP173WF1 however I am not having any luck at all finding information on drivers for it specifically. I suppose there are worse things than having to put it to sleep in order to use it but it's annoying to say the least. I also loaded and tried Bad Company 2 and it was jerky and not really playable whereas before it ran smooth on advanced settings. I tried MW3 on it and it screamed through it though so I'm at a loss.

SlimShady wrote:
When I right click and select properties and details it just says Generic PnP Monitor and the drop down box that says Device Description has no options in it.

I took it apart again and got the model number, it's an LG Phillips LP173WF1

If the Property drop-down box in the "Details" tab has only "Device description' in it, it sounds like a hardware recognition problem. I'm thinking (but not sure) that the BIOS needs to recognize the LCD screen, since mine (the Chi Mei 1726 which also displays as a "Generic PnP Monitor") IS recognized with the Microsoft driver (i.e. not a driver issue).

Did you reset your BIOS after installing the LP173WF1 display (see http://www.ehow.com/how_6827437_reset-bios-asus-laptop.html)?

Did the new display come with its own cable? I remember reading somewhere that the 40 pin LCD video cables are NOT standardized.

Did the retailer of your LG Phillips LP173WF1 indicate it was "100% compatible with your G74SX-BBK7"?

Stay safe out there, SlimShady!
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

JRd1st
Level 12
Try what I told you and if that doesn't work get back to us.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
No change, in fact I had to put it to sleep and wake it up to get the screen to come back up when it blasted the video chipset. Once I brought it back up it said I needed a restart, did the restart, same situation. Screen passes the Windows is Starting screen and goes blank. Looks like a normal LCD that is turned on but has no signal going to it. Going to try to reinstall the video driver and see if that makes a difference.

I looked up the detailed properties on the monitor again after the chipset deal and it still shows as Generic PnP with no other option available.

JRd1st
Level 12
Download the Ubuntu ISO I posted in the New Drivers thread and burn it to a CD. Boot from it and see how your display reacts. If it's fine, I'd say it'a a windows problem we haven't figured out yet, otherwise it's just hardware related and you need to solve that. Make sense?

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com