cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx rising temperature ? Please help.

Sttyx
Level 8
Hi, I have g74sx the no 3D notebook, 8Gb ram, gtx 560m, i7...standart edition. I bought it on first days of august 2011. So far so good. But lately I have noticed, that my idle and max.performance temperatures are rising. In the first two months, those temperatures were :
Idle 36-38C and Max. 58-62C...I was suprised, how this notebook can manage cooling without noise.

Now, after 7 months, my temperatures are :
Idle 41-43 not much change here.
Max. 69-75(depending on activity/game). In just one minute, the temperature can rise up from 58-70, and it also can cool itself from 70 to 62-65. And all I do is alt+tab to desktop.

I have no virus/malware or s*it in my laptop. I used compresed air, to clean fans, but I dont know if it did any good. Also my GPU is not OCed. I am running Win7 Ultimate. Also all drivers are updated. Any help or advice ?

Thanks, also I am sorry for my bad english.
29 REPLIES 29

fostert wrote:
Yeah, I see that closed section on my G74 too at back. It looks intentional in the design, and they put a textured plastic cover there to blend with the fins of the open part behind which is the radiator/heatpipe. I don't think it opens: there probably nothing behind it.

There's nothing back there.. The fan outlets are off-center, but I imagine the designers thought it looked better to make the back "fins" symmetrical. You can see in this photo where the two outlets actually are: the CPU fan outlet is in the middle, under the Asus logo, while the GPU fan outlet is to the right of it.

BrodyBoy wrote:

Neat! @Brody: is this a top-down view with the keyboard off? Looks like one can access the fans for periodic dust removal and lubing...something i know I'm gonna have to do one day. How easy is it to disassemble the G74 to this point above? Does it void the warranty? I've torn into many desktops, but am still nervous about a laptop...
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert wrote:
Neat! @Brody: is this a top-down view with the keyboard off? Looks like one can access the fans for periodic dust removal and lubing...something i know I'm gonna have to do one day. How easy is it to disassemble the G74 to this point above? Does it void the warranty? I've torn into many desktops, but am still nervous about a laptop...

Yes, this is the G74 with the top cover removed. (As you can see, the motherboard is actually upside down in there.) As is always the case with laptops, there are a lot of little screws to remove (about 30) to get this far, but it's not difficult. There are no warranty stickers for the top cover, so as long as you don't damage anything, it shouldn't affect the warranty.

Would you like me to write up a little tutorial and post some additional photos, with the screws marked?

BrodyBoy wrote:
Yes, this is the G74 with the top cover removed. (As you can see, the motherboard is actually upside down in there.) As is always the case with laptops, there are a lot of little screws to remove (about 30) to get this far, but it's not difficult. There are no warranty stickers for the top cover, so as long as you don't damage anything, it shouldn't affect the warranty.

Would you like me to write up a little tutorial and post some additional photos, with the screws marked?

Please do so.. It would be a good referral for assembly/disassembly purposes. 🙂
ASUS G74SX-3DE

BrodyBoy wrote:

This would be really terrific Brody: I would print this out actually and keep it for the nearing day when I have to take that deep breath and break 'er open for cleaning! Thank you in advance!
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Yes that tutorial would be great.
Can I clean my laptop, without tearing dont that waranty stickers ?
Anyway thank you guys, if those temps rise even more, I will send my laptop back. Thanks again 🙂

Ha ha ha....HA HA HA.....he, h-choke, choke....ha ha he....oh geez, I can't breathe....!!

Really? I thought it was just a personal storage space, all cloudy-like. Does it have good file-sharing options?

Sounds like there's a demand for a disassembly guide! Or at least a top cover removal guide. Give me a couple days, guys, and I'll post one.

BTW.....I used to use a paid Filesonic for posting and sharing files. But since MegaUpload got busted for piracy or whatever, Filesonic got scared and doesn't let users share files anymore. (Which of course makes them completely useless.) Anybody have any suggestions for a similar resource?

dstrakele
Level 14
ASUS WebStorage.... C'mon Brody, get up off the floor and stop laughin' at me. I'm trying to be serious here....
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele
Level 14
JR once used ASUS WebStorage to share a file or image on this forum. I even used it to send photos and videos to my daughter to use in a college project. You get 3 GB without having to pay more $$$. I believe you can share with or without a password, so you can limit who accesses info by sending the password. Check out these features: https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/features/
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT