cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx Resolution Issue

Retired
Not applicable
Hi I just got the g74sx-th71 but can't seem to change my resolution to the max of 1920x1200. This resolution isn't even listed when I try to change it. The highest it goes is 1600. Can anyone help me? I even installed the latest beta drivers too. Thanks in advance
38 REPLIES 38

xanax95 wrote:
I did exactly what you said and theres still no resolution greater than 1600x900. I ordered it from TigerDirect

I wonder if someone pulled as fast one, either at TigerDirect or on TigerDirect. Check the serial number on the laptop itself, does it match the serial number on the box?
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool:

dstrakele
Level 14
On the TigerDirect site I see:

ASUS G74SX-TH71 17.3" Black Notebook
Memory Type: DDR3
Total Memory Size: 12GB
Display Type: Full HD Display
Screen Size: 17.3"
Maximum Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Give 'em a call. What do they say?

You are running a BETA video driver. I would try backrevving to the original (again - uninstall, reboot, sweep, install original driver) before I returned the laptop.

One more thing... Go into Device Manager, expand Monitors, right-click on Generic PnP Monitor, choose Properties, select Details tab, in the Property downdrop select Hardware IDs. What is then displayed in the Value box?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Boosted_R
Level 8
sounds like your screen is 1600x900 model................. if you are sure they come with full HD screen, I would also check and see if you GPU is 128 bit (2GB GDDR5) or 192 bit (3GB GDDR5) while your at it to see if you got what you were suppose to get
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

Retired
Not applicable
the hardware id says MONITOR\SEC544B. The GPU is the 192bit 3GB GDDR5

If you google sec544b you get lots of links which read that it'd 1600x900, like this one http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/544174-official-swapping-xps-17-l701x-screen-thr...

If you're supposed to have 1920x1080 then someone's trying to rip you off.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

dstrakele
Level 14
That is different than what is reported on my G74SX-A1. My display's Hardware ID is MONITOR\CMO1726. I'm unsure if this ID is specific to the display model, but I'd definitely take this up with TigerDirect.

dstrakele
Level 14
I've used TigerDirect many times to order cameras and camera equipment. My experience with this vendor is they provided what I ordered on schedule. Never had a problem. They are highly rated in the satisfaction surveys. I'm sure they will make this right for you. Just give them a call and be pleasant, but firm. If the person you speak with initially can't help you, ask for the manager. You're in the right on this one...

Just adding data to the issue.....

Got same TH71 model from Amazon shipped by Circuit City. Same issue, it came HD+ vs Circuit City advertised Full HD. Have claim into Amazon - awaiting response. Also asked Asus what the real TH71 specs are - awaiting response. Box S/N matches Computer S/N. HD+ is on the box sticker, but not anywhere that I can see on computer case. Circuit City, CompUSA, and Tiger Direct must use the same web service as all their TH71 ads are identical and show the TH71 to be Full HD 1920x1080. The hardware id says MONITOR\SEC544B.

TomicTrauma
Level 7
I had just ordered the TH71 model from TigerDirect when I came across this thread. I emailed TD and their Customer Service assured me that the TH71 display resolution is Full HD 1920x1080. Expect to receive shipment soon, so I'll find out the truth soon enough. Too bad ASUS doesn't post a table somewhere listing the spec variations among the various G74SX models.

TomicTrauma wrote:
I had just ordered the TH71 model from TigerDirect when I came across this thread. I emailed TD and their Customer Service assured me that the TH71 display resolution is Full HD 1920x1080. Expect to receive shipment soon, so I'll find out the truth soon enough. Too bad ASUS doesn't post a table somewhere listing the spec variations among the various G74SX models.

I don't know that I'd trust their CS people, all they probably did was look at the same specs sheet as they have posted on their website. Unless they physically had a TH71 and verified then they're just telling you what the catalog says, which is what's on the website.
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool: