cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx Resolution Issue

Retired
Not applicable
Hi I just got the g74sx-th71 but can't seem to change my resolution to the max of 1920x1200. This resolution isn't even listed when I try to change it. The highest it goes is 1600. Can anyone help me? I even installed the latest beta drivers too. Thanks in advance
38 REPLIES 38

Chastity
Level 10
If you can PM me your serial numbers, I can verify the configs.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

xanax95,

I had my TH71 HD+ for about a week and used it. I did recover it back to a factory install before returning it.

Yesterday (Monday) Circuit City sent me the UPS prepaid shipping label to send my TH71 HD+ back for a full refund.
Within 5 minutes of getting the prepaid shipping label, I ordered the G71SX-A1 from Amazon.
This morning (Tuesday) I got a nice email from Circuit City with an apology for the error.
This afternoon (Tuesday) I got the G74SX-A1 that I ordered yesterday.
Typing this message on the new A1.

The A1 was $150 more than the TH71 and the A1 does have Full HD. Hooray!!!!
The designation of the display on the label on the product box is 17.3 FHD(GL, LED).
{GL must be for glossy and LED is the backlight type.}

The FHD is much nicer than the HD+, so if you still end up with a HD+, send it back.

Let us know what TD sends you. Lot's of luck.

Jallopy

PS: Of course with the A1 I got 1 TB more storage, a gaming mouse, and a carrying case AND "real" Full HD.
I hope the .2 cpu frequency loss won't be noticeable.
I really would have kept the TH71 if it had been delivered with Full HD.

"It must be true; I found it on the Internet,"

HD+ ... where else does "+" mean less? :sigh:
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

I just noticed that TigerDirect has changed the G74SX-TH71 product description listed on their site. It now says that it has a 1600 x 900 display resolution.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1219120&CatId=4938

dstrakele
Level 14
That's good to see because the original ad was misleading.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Retired
Not applicable
hmm they had just sent me an exchange for the th71. should I just return it for another model? is there a big difference between the 2630 and 2670 processor?

now I'm on the fence about getting a MSI laptop

xanax95

I would (and I did) return it for a full refund. Get a Full HD version. As I mentioned in a previous post I got the A1 from Amazon.
The Th71 2670 is about 10% faster as a processor, but the integrated effect of the GPU and system is such that I don't find any difference with what I do. Handles Portal 2 and Half-Life with no diffrence.

I'm glad I went for the Full HD which I wanted in the 1st place.

I know absolutly nothing about MSI ( or a few other things!).

The G74SX is just right for me.

Added: I plan to overclock the GPU a bit, which might compensate somewhat for the slower CPU.
Most of the benchmarks are for the 2630 and with the 560 GPU does quite well.

I just received my TH71 from TD (TigerDirect). It said HD+ on the side label of the box, so I didn't even open the carton. I called TD Customer Service, got a refund and RA, and shipped it back to TD via UPS on their dime. As soon as everything clears, I intend to order a G74SX-XT1. TD was very pleasant about the whole thing.

TomicTrauma wrote:
I just received my TH71 from TD (TigerDirect). It said HD+ on the side label of the box, so I didn't even open the carton. I called TD Customer Service, got a refund and RA, and shipped it back to TD via UPS on their dime. As soon as everything clears, I intend to order a G74SX-XT1. TD was very pleasant about the whole thing.

Smart - that's the best way to handle this issue.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT