cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX Mouse Button Disassembly/Cleaning or Replacement?

dumptruckvizzle
Level 7
Hi, I've had my G74 for a couple years now and found that my left mouse button has started to get sunken in and less responsive as of just recently. I popped the piece out, but unfortunately the little plastic pieces that help the button stay responsive don't seem to be in the correct place. I've looked for tutorials to no luck. The button is still functional, but I'd like to get it back into its best condition. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

Pitcher1
Level 9
you mean touchpad? i think if you are not in warranty and you can disassembly by youslef, i think you can disassembly to check it, if still warranty, i think you sent to replace it.

dumptruckvizzle
Level 7
I think my warranty is already expired. I bought it over a year ago unless warranty is more than one year. I am talking about the left click button under the touchpad. I want to know if anybody else has disassembled the button to clean it before and maybe can help me.

Blackfoot
Level 7
Pulled the following information from the Asus website.
http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G74SX/#specifications

Manufacturer Warranty

2-year limited International hardware warranty. *different by country
On-line problem resolution through web interface (BIOS, Driver update)
OS (Windows 7 ) install/uninstall consultation
Bundled software install/uninstall consultation
ASUS software supporting

Link to Warranty Card and other information .pdf.
http://www.asus.com/support/images/pdf/e8549_nb-warranty-card_148x105mm_final_0827.pdf
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
G74SX-DH72 -- Stock --

Since the OP never inquired further, I will. I'm experiencing 'sticky keys' on my trackpad left mouse button on my g74sx. The top left corner of the left button seems to be stuck in the depressed position, so when I right click, it completely depresses the left click as well. This makes it extremely difficult to work with. Any instructions on cleaning the left click?

hirethestache wrote:
Since the OP never inquired further, I will. I'm experiencing 'sticky keys' on my trackpad left mouse button on my g74sx. The top left corner of the left button seems to be stuck in the depressed position, so when I right click, it completely depresses the left click as well. This makes it extremely difficult to work with. Any instructions on cleaning the left click?

Hi. I faced a similar issue after nearly 9-10 months of using my G74SX. Thinking there must be some dirt underneath the button or along its edges I lifted the LEFT button, but everything seemed fine underneath. It was when putting the button back into place, I realised the rubber sheath that covers the hard plastic button had actually started to peel off from the sides. It was bloating and was touching the edges causing the button to stick when pressed down. I tried to 'superglue' the rubber back but the problem only got worse. It just would not stick and peeled off more. Frustrated with the exercise, finally I removed the entire piece of the original rubber and made something similar from extra-thin rubber adhesive tape and reflective silver tape. It looks like those gold/silver teeth people used to have years ago. But the button has worked well for 2 years now and never got stuck again. (Attachinging a photo).
I had called up ASUS India when the problem first started as the machine was under warranty but the response from them was not encouraging and that is when I decided to take things in my own hands.

I have just started facing a problem with the ASUS Gaming Mouse wherein the right button does not respond. If any one knows how I can open up the mouse (position of screws, etc.) or a teardown would be greatly appreciated.

hirethestache
Level 10
Bump

hirethestache
Level 10
Still looking for an answer on this. I've searched around but found nothing that works.

Boosted_R
Level 8
hmmm, wondering the same thing..... guess no one has tried..... I use an Logitech Performance MX mainly, but if the touchpad left click button gets really really bad, I will attempt and post back
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

hirethestache
Level 10
Im just hoping I dont have to disassemble the ENTIRE computer just to clean the ****ing trackpad button. I know there are people on this board who know the proper procedure. It's getting to the point where I have to disable the trackpad completely in order to use my machine. I am a mobile photographer, and as such I like to carry as little as I need. Having to carry a mouse, while small, is annoying.