cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX Is the CPU permanantly fixed to the mobo? (I want to swap to faster CPU)

kiwited
Level 7
Hello

Can you please advise if I can easily remove the existing CPU from the mother board?

(And replace with i7-2860QM, being the fastest 45W)

Sometimes the CPU's are soldered in permanently?

Thanks

Ted
4 REPLIES 4

Red_Rose
Level 7
The answer is yes that you can replace it with the 2860qm. I just recently did that with my G74sx and after a couple of driver issues, a rllback fixed my problems. How easily it is to remove depends on experienced you are with taking apart laptops. I also own a G73SW and i will say that, the G74sx is really annoying to take apart compared to the G73sw.

Sources: I open my G74sx every month to fully filter and clean the inside so i can keep my temps below 70. IF your gonna open and swap the cpu, you migth as well repaste the gpu with something nicer.
Asus G74Sx - DH73 3D
- Processor: Intel i7 - 2670 QM 2.2-3.1GHZ
- Boot/Storage: 256GB m4 Crucial SSD / 750 GB WD Caviar Black 7200rpm
- Memory: 8GB (4x2) DDR3 Patriot Memory @ 1600MHZ
- Graphics: Nvidia GTX 560M 3GB DDR5 (Stock Clock)
- WiFi: Intel Advanced Centrino 6300-N (2 Antennae Installed)
- Screen/Touch Pad: 17.3" 120Hz LED Matte LCD @ 1920x1080 / Sentelic
- Paste: CM ThermalFusion 400 Thermal Paste (28C-33C Idle & 55C-62C Under Load)
- OS/BIOS: Windows 7 Home Premium / BIOS 203

Red Rose wrote:
The answer is yes that you can replace it with the 2860qm. I just recently did that with my G74sx and after a couple of driver issues, a rllback fixed my problems. How easily it is to remove depends on experienced you are with taking apart laptops. I also own a G73SW and i will say that, the G74sx is really annoying to take apart compared to the G73sw.

Sources: I open my G74sx every month to fully filter and clean the inside so i can keep my temps below 70. IF your gonna open and swap the cpu, you migth as well repaste the gpu with something nicer.

quality post, well said.

Pitcher1
Level 9
Yep. G74SX are able to unplug CPU, but ASUS can not agree swap CPU.

That is good news.
Thank
Ted